The Art of Breaking

White Picket Fence

"What happened? Is he OK?" I asked Jasper as soon as he walked through the door of my empty house. I thought I saw a hurt look wash over Jasper's face but it disappeared so quickly I started to wonder if I had imagined it. Carlisle stepped into the house a few seconds after.

"He's fine; nothing happened," Jasper said shortly.

"I wouldn't say nothing happened..." Carlisle argued and I saw Jasper flash him a warning sign. Something was up.

"Alright, somebody sure as hell better tell me what the fuck is going on," I said angrily. "I'm tired of secrets and you trying to protect me Jasper. I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

Carlisle looked to Jasper who looked more stressed than a college student who procrastinated on their term paper. "She has a right to know and you damn well know it."

I'm not sure I ever heard Carlisle use a curse word, but I guess there was a first for everything. Jasper nodded and looked towards me with worry in his eyes. "Ryan also blacked out but it was because something was trying to get into his head. We think that something is searching for you," he said and I felt a chill go down my spine.

"Why would they want me?"

"Good question. Your guess is as good as any ones," Carlisle stated.

Jasper walked over to me and held me at arm's length. "I don't care if you hate me, Lacey, but please let me protect you. Let me come with you when you move. If you don't want to see me then that's fine but at least let me look after you," Jasper pleaded. I couldn't really say no to him. "I couldn't bare it if anything happened to you."

I shrugged off his grip on my arms and then wrapped my arms around his neck. I pulled Jasper into a deep kiss and then pulled away biting my lip. "I will always want you around," I replied and he smiled before kissing the top of my head. "OK, now that that is settled why don't we go look for my new house?"

"I think you mean our new house," Jasper corrected and pulled me outside to his car. Before I knew it we were pulling away from my home and Alice was waving goodbye.

*****
Jasper and I finally agreed on a house and we both bought it together. I made him let me pay for half of it, but I knew he was going to pay me back ten fold whenever I least expected it. We got some of the old furniture put into the new house but some of it we sold. Jasper wanted a bigger TV and a few other things.

"It looks like home," Jasper said putting his arm around me as we sat down on the couch.

"It sure does. No more bad memories or the past; just the future," I replied and layed my head down on his shoulder. I felt him kiss the top of my head and I smiled.

"Should we meet the neighbors?" Jasper asked excitedly. There was a new glow to him; one that didn't have anything to do with him sparkling in the sun. There was a new found happiness in his eyes. It was like I had given him everything he wanted.

"Yes," I said with just as much excitement. We would be going together, hand in hand. Jasper and I walked outside into the yard. We weren't far from the Cullens' property but we were far enough away to have a few neighbors. We walked next door and knocked on the big white door. The house was surrounded by a white picket fence. It had a very homey feeling to it, but at the same time my gut was telling me something was different.

The door opened to reveal a man with piercing blue eyes and dark mousy brown hair. He had stubble covering his chin and his mouth opened as if he were about to say something. His teeth were perfectly aligned and white as snow. He closed his mouth again as if in shock and his forehead seemed to wrinkle in confusion. "You're just like me," he said in awe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading!
Comments are appreciated