The Art of Breaking

Distance

We sat in the bed of Ryan’s truck facing the lake. It was quiet except for the chirping of nearby birds and the sound of water lapping up against the docks. I popped open yet another bottle of Smirnoff and took a large sip.

“Lacey, what’s really going on? You’ve changed. Ever since those vampires came you’ve been really distant. You walk down the hallways like a zombie. Hell, I don’t even remember the last time you smiled,” Ryan said turning to look at me.

“Things happen. People change,” I replied and tilted my head back for another sip. I wiped my mouth on my forearm. My eyes then met with Ryan’s and I could have sworn I saw sadness in them but mostly I just saw pity and it made my stomach feel a little more than sick. I jumped off the bed of the truck expecting to land on my feet. I was disappointed because I found the ground rushing towards my face, but it stopped only a few inches away. Ryan had caught me and he helped me stand up right.

I yanked my arm away from him. “Leave me alone. I don’t need your pity,” I spat angrily stumbling backwards a little. He tried to reach out to steady me but I smacked his hand away and walked past him towards the road.

“Lacey, where are you going?” Ryan asked catching up to me easily.

“I’m going home,” I answered, stumbling just a little.

“Let me take you home,” Ryan insisted reaching his hand out again to help me.

“No! I don’t need you or anyone else’s help! I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself! I’ve done it for years,” I screamed angrily and Ryan’s face softened.

“I know, Lace, but sometimes we all need a shoulder to cry on. You taught me that when Ben was dying. You were there even when you didn’t have to be,” Ryan said looking down at the ground now. I sighed and stepped forwards placing my hand on his arm. His eyes rose to mine and saw my sad smile.

“I’m sorry. You can take me home if you still want to,” I replied. Ryan opened his mouth to answer but he was interrupted by a familiar but darkened voice.

“That won’t be necessary, Ryan. I’ll take it from here,” Jasper growled angrily striding forward reminding me of a jaguar. Ryan took a step back when Jasper stopped by my side.

“What are you doing here?” I asked blankly and Jasper turned his angry gaze to me.

“I’m supposed to pick you up from school remember? But today you didn’t show so I had to come looking for you,” he said simply.

“Well, nobody asked you to,” I said angrily and took a step back from him and toward Ryan. A look of pain washed over Jasper’s face but it passed so quickly I was beginning to think I had imagined it.

Regardless I stepped back towards him and placed a hand on the side of his face. “I’m sorry,” I said casting my eyes down and then stepped away and walked towards his car stumbling ever few steps.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for taking forever but I was smashed with school work. But now I'm out for the summer so enjoy. ;)