Mama, We All Go To Hell

Prelude

"Good morning, Shoppers. Today we have a special on toothbrushes, in isle four right next to shampoo. Clean teeth make people happy people, thank you for shopping at Toppers, where we are on top of everything"The very bored voice droned though the speakers, clicking and squeaking. It stopped, a young boy of seventeen jumped out of his seat in his red and white uniform top and black pants, he pushed his over grown blonde fringe out of his face and signaled to his supervisor, (whom sat with a beer bottle in hand asleep) that he was taking a break.

He pushed open the grubby doors and breathed in the smoggy air of Chicago. The sun was slowly sinking into the earth and traffic sped past. He pulled out his glasses and a smoke, lighting it, he wandered off around the back. Taking his usual seat right next to the tree in the shade, on the wooden plank left over from something. He glanced around making sure no one was watching before pulling out his wallet. He looked at the photo of the young girl, with the boy's arms wrapped around her neck, in a hug, both smiling at the camera, young. They were high school sweethearts, young in love. Bob ran his fingers around her face, it was so sweet and perfect. She was flawless, with blue eyes like the sea and long wavy brown hair, which she had pulled back. He looked so different now, he had lost some weight, grown his hair and had lost her. The photo was taken by a friend, on the sixth of November 2003. A night they would never forget. It sent chills down his spine when he thought about it. He jumped out of his thoughts as the back door squeaked open, he quickly hid his wallet and turned to see who it was.

"Bryar, phone" The back door opened and Randy his boss appeared, smoke hanging out of mouth, buttons popped off his size-too-small shirt.

"Hello" He mumbled into the speaker, looking up at Randy. Randy got the point and walked away.

"Honey...honey Bob baby, I need you to come home" His mothers shaky voice cried on the phone.

"Why mum? I'm working" He said kicking a stone.

"The council have just come and...and were being evicted" She said, he could hear her bursting out in tears on the end of the line. Bob dropped the phone and kicked his foot against the wall for a bit, yelling and cursing, why did this always happen to him? to his family? Calming down he picked up the phone.

"It will be okay mum, well figure something out. I get paid today so, we can pay off something? can't we?...whatever, Mum ill do extra time tonight, so I won't see you, kept Katie safe for me ma okay?" Bob said slowly.

"Yes..yes, okay Bob. I love you" She said still crying

"I love you too, Bye" He hang up, sighing he slumped against the wall. Closing his eyes, he took the smoke out of his mouth, dropping it on the dusty ground.