Hedgehogs

Chapter 2

EXT. PARK OUTSIDE ALBERT'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Albert lies on a beach chair reading a magazine. Douglas is stargazing through a telescope.

ALBERT
(reading from magazine)
"That being said, watch the skies. Heavens knows they're watching us."

(chuckling)
You're so full of crap, Doug.

DOUGLAS
(looking through telescope)
That's what they pay me for...

(muttering)
Moon's bright tonight...

Albert stretches in his beach chair. A slight breeze flies through. Albert grabs a torch and shines it in Douglas' face.

ALBERT
We haven't seen anything for months. Maybe we need to find a new spot.

DOUGLAS
(annoyed)
Turn that off, will you?

Albert points torch away from Douglas' face.

DOUGLAS
I've seen plenty lately...Just not from this park.

Douglas stands up straight and stretches.

ALBERT
(flicking through magazine)
Oh yeah? Where've you seen them, then?

DOUGLAS
What do you think I do each night from my flat's balcony?

ALBERT
Hold on, if you're seeing them from your flat then why are we still coming here every Thursday night?

DOUGLAS
Well, we've been doing this every week for years now. It's become a ritual. And we can't go breaking rituals now, can we?

Douglas goes back to stargazing. A light flashes in the distance above them. They take no notice. The two are silent for a while. Douglas cuts his finger on his telescope.

DOUGLAS
(shaking left hand)
BLAST!

Albert looks at Douglas inquisitively.

DOUGLAS
I cut my finger..

Douglas shows his hand to Albert. Albert's eyes widen, a look of fear taking over his face.

ALBERT
SHIT!

DOUGLAS
Thanks for the concern, Al. But it's only a small cut. I shall live yet.

ALBERT
No! No no no no no!

Albert scrambles out of seat and grabs his jacket.

ALBERT
I'm meant to be having dinner with Kayla tonight. She's going to kill me!

Albert grabs his keys from his seat and races off towards the block of flats.

DOUGLAS
RUN, AL. RUN! Pump those crazy legs!

Douglas watches Albert run off before realising his finger is bleeding. He grabs a handkerchief from his pocket and wipes away the blood. A light flashes above him. He looks up while pocketing the handkerchief. The handkerchief falls onto the ground next to him. A star quite larger than the rest of the stars twinkles. Douglas' stomach growls.

DOUGLAS
(patting stomach)
I think we'll call it a night.

Packs up telescope and leaves park. Handkerchief blows in the wind.

A light flashes brighter and brighter. Nothing happens for a few moments. Another light flashes and a human shaped being appears out of nowhere onto the grass. He is a young, thin, blonde haired male.


HUMAN SHAPED BEING
(gleefully chuckling)
I made it!

He looks around the park and notices the handkerchief. He picks it up, notices the blood and sniffs it. He smiles slyly and puts the kerchief in his mouth and swallows.

A few seconds go by and nothing happens.

Human shaped being frowns. He jumps up and down angrily, then POP. A replica of Douglas appears where he was standing.

He smiles, takes a couple of deep breaths, runs a few paces, jumps, and disappears into thin air.