Annabel Lee

Writing, Talking, Planning-Everything's Changing

Annabel snuck up behind Zack and jumped on his back. He lost his balance and fell to the ground while laughing. Everyone looked at them like they had lost thier minds.

"What's so funny, Zack? You almost busted your face open on the sidewalk" Matt said a bit confused at Zack's laughter.

"I always laugh when Annabel's around. She makes me happy; happy makes me smile; smile makes me laugh" he said matter-of-factly.

"Would you still be happy if she was the demise of your pretty little face?" Jimmy inquired.

"Yes. I would be. It doesn't matter what happens as long as Annabel's here"

Annabel blushed at this and hid her face behind Zack. They all laughed at her now. "See?" Zack asked them.

The group sat down at thier usual picnic table and ate lunch in the warm California sun. This was Annabel's favorite part of the day. She loved to be outside where she could smell the salty ocean air-almost tasting it when a stong breeze floated through the school yard. The sun made Zack's eyes look as though they were glowing and Annabel was taken back by the beauty of him once again. She would never take for granted the love they shared. She finished up her sandwich and leaned against Zack as the rest of the group talked about the upcoming spring break vacation.

Annabel had too much on her mind to think about spring break. Her parents had been pushing her to start her college applications early. She was only a Junior, but her parents agreed that she would have to start now to get into the school ofher thier choice. They were hoping for Yale, Harvard, Brown maybe even settle for Notre Dame if they had too. Annabel was happy with UCLA. That's where Zacky wanted to go and she wanted to be with him. She could go to med school near home but her parent's wanted to hear nothing of it. Zack pulled her out of her slump when he kissed her temple. She looked up and smiled at his silly grin.

"What are you thinking about Mister Baker?"

"Oh nothing much, just thinking how much I would like to get you alone"

"Zack!" she faked shock and embarassment.

"No, no, you misunderstood, Annabel" he giggled and made a sarcastic face, "I just want to get you alone so I can get into that pretty little head of yours-you know, read your thoughts and all."

Zack walked Annabel to her next class and they agreed to meet by his car when school was over. She gave him a sweet peck on the lips and turned to walk away.

"Annabel, wait" he yelled as the door was closing.

She heard him and peeked her head out the door "Yes, Mister Baker?"

"I just wanted to tell you that I love you" he whispered.

"I love you too, Zack" she walked back towards her desk and sat down. Her cheeks turned red when everyone turned to her with curious looks.

Zack dropped Annabel off, giving her a passionate kiss before heading home. Much to his dismay, he had work tonight. There was just enough time for him to do a bit of homework and take a shower before leaving again. Zack's dad jumped up, hiding the picture of his dead wife when Zack walked in.

"Hey dad, what's going on?" Zacky knew better than to ask about the picture.

"Oh nothing, how was school?"

"It was school" he said with a shrug of his shoulders.

"That good, huh?"

"No, it was fine. Just a normal, boring day, that's all" he let out a small laugh.

"Oh, okay. How's Annabel doing?" he tried changing the subject so Zacky wouldn't ask about his mother.

"She's doing good. I've got something special planned for her on Friday night. I asked for it off because it's her birthday"

"Well make sure to tell her I said 'Happy Birthday', okay?"

"Yeah, dad, I will" Zack said while walking up the stairs.

Jim went back to his chair, picking up her picture again. God, how he missed her. He knew that the day would come when he would have to tell Zack exactly what happened. How he was to blame for her death.

ANNABEL L. WINTERS

She saw the manilla envelope on her bed as soon as she walked in. Her mother layed the letter so that it was leaning agaisnt her pillow. Immediately she noticed the Notre Dame logo on the top left corner. She opened it without much excitement, not really caring if she got in or not. She knew where she wanted to go though there was no use in expecting that option. UCLA was not up to her parent's standards. 'She was better than that' according to them. With a long, drawn out breath, she read the paper inside.

Dear Miss Winters

It is with great excitement that Notre Dame accepts you as one of our own
blah, blah, blah.....

She only read the top line. Knowing her mother would question her about the letter, Annabel put on a fake smile and made her way down stairs to tell her mother thebad good news.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Second Heartbeat by Avenged Sevenfold