Annabel Lee

I Felt The Cold Rain Of The Coming Storm…

Zacky waited all day for Annabel’s call. This wasn’t like her. Something must be wrong.

“Just call her!” Matt said, irritated.

“I want to; I just don’t want her to think I’m checking up on her or something.”

“Zack, we all know how you two are, and Annabel won’t think badly of you for calling. What if something’s happened and she can’t get to you. Just call her.” Jimmy voiced his opinion.

“Fine, I’ll call her. Now can I have some privacy?”

“Alright, man. We’ll be down stairs if you need us.” Matt said as he and Jimmy left Zacky’s room.

Zacky dialed Annabel’s cell phone and waited impatiently for her to answer. Her voicemail picked up.

“Annabel, hey, it’s me, Zacky. Sorry to bother you, but I was just worried. I haven’t heard from you all day. I hope you aren’t in trouble because of me. Anyways, call me back, babe. I love you. Bye.”

Zacky hung up the phone and walked downstairs. Matt and Jimmy were raiding the fridge. Jimmy was the first to notice him.

“Did you get a hold of her?” he asked with a mouth full of food.

“Just her voicemail,” Zacky replied, “something has to be wrong over there. She’s never gone this long without calling me.”

“Do you think maybe we should ride over to her house?”

“Hey! That’s a good idea, Matt!” Jimmy nearly screamed.

“I don’t know guys. If she’s in trouble, I could just be adding to it by going over there.”

“C’mon Zack, I’ll give you a ride over.” Matt said, hoping to convince Zacky.

“Alright, let’s go.”

“SHOTGUN!!!” Jimmy yelled, excitedly.

Matt and Zacky both rolled their eyes. Zacky locked the door before climbing in the back seat of Matt’s truck. Jimmy flipped through radio stations while Zacky thought about all the possibilities why Annabel hadn’t called nor answered her phone. After calling her and getting no answer he knew in his heart something wasn’t right. He just couldn’t imagine what it might be.

“Zacky we’re here.” Matt smacked his knee to get his attention.

“Oh, shit. Already?”

“Yeah, already. Get out of the damn truck,” Jimmy practically yelled, “find out what’s going on with my bestie.”

Zacky reluctantly walked up to the huge front door knocking softly. When no one answered he knocked again, much louder. He tapped his foot and crossed and uncrossed his arms while waiting for an answer. He looked back towards the truck at his friends. They signaled for him to stay there and wait. Hearing the door open he turned to face an angry Mr. Winters. Zacky tried to calm his nerves before speaking without any luck.

“He-Hello, Mr. Winters. Is Annabel here?”

“Yes, Zack. She is but she won’t be coming down. After that little stunt you both pulled last night, she’s grounded.”

“Mr. Winters, I’m sorry. Don’t be mad at Annabel. It was all my fault.” Zacky said, looking at his feet.

“Zack, while I appreciate you trying to take the blame, it doesn’t excuse my daughter’s fault in the matter at all. She knew what she was doing when she chose to go out without our permission. She knows what we expect of her and she broke the rules.”

“Again, Mr. Winters, I take full responsibility for that. I had planned a surprise for her for her birthday and I didn’t expect things to go so long into the night.”

“I suppose you mean ‘so long into the morning’?” Mr. Winters asked accusingly.

Zacky shuffled his feet. “Yes sir. Could you please tell Annabel I was here to see her and that I’ll pick her up for school on Monday?”

“Zack. I’ll tell Annabel you were here, but I don’t think it’s such a good idea to be picking her up for school. In fact, her mother or I will be driving her from now on.” He said coldly.

Zacky’s face fell in shock. “Um, okay, Mr. Winters. Again, I’m sorry.”

Annabel’s father practically slammed the door in Zacky’s face. He took a few steps backwards before walking to the truck. Jimmy noticed Annabel looking out her window as Zacky was getting in. He gave her a sad smile before telling Zacky.

“Look, man. Annabel sees you.” Jimmy told him.

Zacky got out of the truck and looked up to her window. There she was, tear-stained face, looking as horrible as he felt. This was all his fault and she was taking the blame for it. He slowly raised his hand and waved at her. “Call me” he mouthed. She nodded her head and turned out of sight.

“Zacky, let’s go, man.” Matt said sadly.

Zacky climbed into the back seat once again. Taking his phone out of his pocket so he wouldn’t miss her call, he felt the tears coming on. He tried to hold them back, but nothing could stop the sorrow he felt. He knew he would see Annabel at school on Monday, but he didn’t want to wait that long. He couldn’t wait that long. As a plan started to form in his head, Matt interrupted his thoughts with questions about what happened.

“So, what the hell happened up there?”

“Her dad said she’s grounded because she stayed out all night.”

“What do you mean she stayed out all night?” Jimmy asked confused.

“Well, last night at the cave, I guess we just lost track of time and we woke up early this morning. I took her home as soon as we got up, but I guess her parents were waiting on her when she got there.”

“Zacky, what the hell we’re you thinking?”

“I wasn’t thinking anything Jimmy!” Zacky defended.

“Clearly. Now she’s the one in trouble.” He said disgusted with Zacky’s carelessness.

“I know that, dammit. Don’t you think I feel bad about that? I tried to explain that to her dad, but he didn’t want to listen. I fucked up and I feel like shit for that. She’s the one who’s gonna pay the price for my fucking stupidity!!” Zacky screamed.

“You’re damn right it was…” Jimmy started but was cut off by Matt.

“Look, Jimmy. That’s enough. Zacky’s feels like shit about it and you yelling at him isn’t going to change the fact that Annabel’s in trouble. She’s a big girl and she made her own decision to leave the house.”

“But she wouldn’t have left if it wasn’t for me.” Zacky whispered.

“Bull shit, Zack. She left because she wanted too and all three of us know it. Now, you’ll see her at school and you and you,” he pointed at Jimmy, “can both ask her what happened on Monday, unless she can call you before then.”

“You’re right, man,” Jimmy said with a sigh, “Zacky, I’m sorry. I was just upset because I care about her. She’s like my little sister, you know?”

“Yeah, Jimbo. I know. I’m sorry, too.”

“We cool, then?” Jimmy asked while holding out his fist.

“Yeah, man. We cool.” Zacky tapped his fist against Jimmy’s.

Zacky leaned against the back of his seat and covered his face with the hoodie he was wearing. He couldn’t hold back the tears anymore. Though he tried his hardest to hide it, Matt and Jimmy both heard the sniffling coming from the back seat. They gave each other an understanding look and turned the radio up to drown out the sounds of Zacky breaking down.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: The Good Left Undone by Rise Against.

Please comment and let me know how good/bad it is...
Thanks,
LittleMissRESENTMENT