Annabel Lee

Just Dress Me Up In What You Want Me To Be

Zacky entered his 3rd period class in a solemn mode. He still hadn’t thought of anything that would give him more time with Annabel. Seeing each other for an hour before school everyday just wasn’t going to be enough. Sighing heavily, he took his seat in the back row, hoping that he could formulate a plan.
Lost in his thoughts, Zacky jumped when he heard the principal’s voice break over the intercom.

“Don’t forget, the Golf Team is still looking for new members. The sign-up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board in the cafeteria. Practice is held every Tuesday and Thursday after school and ends at 5 pm.”

Zacky’s brain was working over time. That was it. He and Annabel could sign up for the golf team. That would give them almost two more hours in the afternoons, at least two days a week. He would have to rearrange his schedule at work, but that wouldn’t be a problem. The hard part would be to convince Annabel’s parents to let her do this. This had to work, it was the only way!

Zacky went back to his assignment, though his thoughts were some where else all together. He couldn’t wait to get to Lunch and tell Annabel his idea. She would be sure to agree, even if it meant wearing “preppy” clothes to practice. He laughed at the thought of him wearing a polo shirt and plaid shorts. He was going to look like an idiot, but he didn’t care. All that mattered was spending more time with the love of his life.

The bell signaled Lunch and Annabel rushed to the door. She couldn’t wait to see if Zack came up with any ideas. She walked as fast as she could to her locker where she saw Jimmy waiting.

“Hey Jimbo.” She said without her usual happy tone.

“What’s up, kid?” Jimmy approached her, wrapping a skinny arm around her shoulders, squeezing gently.

“Not much of anything. I guess you know about all the trouble I got in this weekend, huh?”

“Yeah, I heard. I can’t believe Zacky was so stupid. What was he even thinking keeping you out all night?”

“It wasn’t his fault, Jimmy. If anything, I’m the one to blame. I should have never left the damn house. I just wanted to see him, you know?”

“Yeah, I know. He wanted to see you too.”

“Try not to give him too much of a hard time, ‘kay?”

“I’ll try, but you know I got to give him a hard time for a little while, right?” Jimmy winked at Annabel.

“I know you do. You can’t help it, it’s in your nature” she laughed at him.

“There’s the smile I’ve been waiting to see all day.” He laughed at her as they continued their walk towards the cafeteria.

Zacky stood just outside the cafeteria doors waiting for Annabel when he spotted Jimmy. She’s gotta be with him, he thought to himself. He took off at a light jog towards Jimmy when he spotted Annabel. She looked so tiny compared to his giant friend. Zacky bent over, hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. Annabel just stared at him in amazement. She couldn’t recall a time when Zacky had been speechless.

“Are you okay, Zacky?” She asked with concern in her voice.

He held his index finger up, signaling that he needed just a second. Panting heavily, he raised his head up to look at her. Jimmy was growing impatient waiting to hear what Zacky had to say. Tapping his foot, he said, very irritated “what is it man?”

“Jimmy!” Annabel shouted at him.

“Sorry, it’s just that I can’t stand the anticipation. I want to know what’s going on. Did something happen to one of the guys?”

Zacky shook his head no.

“Zack, are you okay?” She was starting to worry.

“No, I’m fine. The guys are fine. I just wanted to find you ‘cause I think I have an idea.”

“You think or you do actually have one?” Jimmy scoffed.

“No, I actually have one. I just don’t know if you’re up for it Anna.”

“Well what is it?” Curiosity consumed her.

“Okay, so the Golf team meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school until five o’clock. They are taking new members and we just have to sign up for it in the lunch room, and then attend practice every week.”

“Umm, Zacky, do you even play golf?” Annabel asked slightly confused.

“No, but I figured it couldn’t be too difficult. I mean what’s so hard about swinging a club and hitting a ball? It can’t be much different than baseball and I’m great at that. Who cares, if it means we can spend more time together, right?”

“Zacky, I think that’s a great idea. Let’s go find that sign up sheet.”

Zacky’s cheeks flushed red, he just needed to sit down for a moment.

“Are you coming, Zacky?” Annabel asked looking behind her.

“Yeah,” He said breathing heavily, “I’m right behind you.”

Jimmy shook his head, laughing to himself. He didn’t know if joining the Golf team was the best idea, he just knew that this was going to end in hysterics. He hoped that Annabel didn’t get into anymore trouble over this.

The lunch room was crowded, as usual, and the couple had to fight their way to the bulletin board. Taking a pen from her purse she signed her name and Zacky’s. Pleased with their idea, they walked outside, hand in hand, smiles on both of them. Annabel couldn’t stop smiling and Zacky couldn’t help looking at her. They had found a way around her parents, and they only had to keep this up for a few weeks, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: All Over You by The Spill Canvas

I just want to give a HUGE thank-you to The Suffering for commenting on my story. I'm so glad you liked it =)