Le coup de grace

II

She plunged her body into her still unmade bed which carried marks and scars of the fierce last night. Bewildered, torn…white. And she waited, waited…and waited until her ears roared with silence and jazz tunes. Silence was growing so deeply that she couldn’t think of too many since the evening came.

Just one thought – why did she end that talk so carefree, with so little attention? She could have said something more – a word, a sentence, a phrase; but it did not matter. That fool wouldn’t have caught the idea. That fool was so much into Freud and Jung that she could have married their ghosts. Elena would have understood the hidden meaning of every sentence Etoile sent. But that fool….that fool had sublime eyes.

One of a sudden, Etoile noticed the knocks that were about to break down her door, not knowing when they started or when will they end. Exactly how many minutes did she waste on thinking of her incapacity of properly end a discussion? Those minutes…they couldn’t have turned into hours, could they?

But she didn’t get up from her comfortable bed to welcome him. And he stood in the doorway staring emotionless as if she had to read his thoughts…a straight cold look. Why was he smiling?

“Am I not allowed to come in? I bring brand new cigarettes….”
“I never was a desirable host and I won’t be from now on. Please, do come in…ignore almost everything you see around. Bad mood day!” she explained.

He barely refrained from asking if that bad day was hers or her girlfriend’s who accidentally on purpose forgot to clean the place up in the last couple of days. He would have scolded her if her sight wouldn't have turned smoother as soon as he met her eyes. There was so much negativity in Etoile’s attitude that there were few people who could melt her as easily and as unhesitatingly as he did.

“Do you think letting someone go is…normal?” she asked with faded voice.
They both started laughing, mostly because they each had their own image of the question. No, there was nothing normal in letting a girl who’s studying Languages to sign out without saying a word as it was not normal to resist from resigning oneself to a loss and causing suffering to everyone coming afterwards. The living presence of a dead memory in his friend’s life enraged him…his friend…his intellective little sister.

“So..what have you brought?” she asked as she headed towards the running water holding a kettle in her small hand.