The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 11

I shook J awake, if I could call it that, she was disoriented, “J?” I asked her, “We are going to be hitting land soon.” I told her. Her eyes went in and out of focus on my face. She nodded weakly, and pointed to her boots. I pulled them onto her feet, “Where is the money we owe the men?” I asked her, “I’ll take care of it for you.” She nodded again, and pointed to the desk, I looked over, sure enough, the money sack was lying on the desk. I hadn’t noticed it before.

I went over and grabbed, “How much do I give them?” I asked her.

She wavered a moment and almost fell over, “Half.” She croaked. I nodded my head and counted half and put the rest back, I went above deck and approached the captain and gave him his money, “There you are. Thank you for your services captain; perhaps we will see each other again someday.” We shook hands.

“It’s been a pleasure.” He dipped his head then went below deck, no doubt to lock the money in a chest he had hidden somewhere. I made sure the horse was saddled and everything was secured tightly. I watched as we drifted into the docks. The sun was low in the horizon, the seagulls were loud, men were shouting as they threw the ropes down the dockworkers, and I made sure the horse was still secure when I went below deck to get J. She was slumped over asleep, so I woke her again.

She hardly stayed awake as I took her arm and held it around my shoulders and helped her up the stairs to the deck. I pushed her onto the saddle of the horse, took the reins in my hands, and led him down the gangplank, I hit the solid wooden dock and for a moment, the world swayed. I was back on solid ground. It took me a few steps before my world began to step back into balance. I walked up the streets, in search of a place to sleep for the night, J needed rest, and perhaps a healer if I could find one.

I found a small inn owned by a man and his family; his son took the horse to the stables, while the father took J in his arms, I carried the bags, and followed him to our room. He placed her down on the bed, and I dropped the things in the corner of the room. “Do you have a healer in this town?” I asked the man.

He shook his head, “No one here with that practice, but my wife has a way with the sick. I could send her up after supper if you would wish it.” I nodded my head, “I would greatly appreciate it, I’ll pay of course.”

He shook his head, “No need, I look after my guests. I will have supper brought up, and perhaps a nice cup a tea. You look like you could use a good strong cup.”

“Thank you.” He nodded and shut the door. I slumped down with an exhausted sigh into a large chair by the fire. I pulled off my boots, placed my feet in front of the fire, stretched out, and let myself relax. I looked over at J often, but there was no change.
There was a knock at my door, “Come in.” I said sitting up.

An elderly woman, with a younger girl, her daughter I guess from resemblance, came in carrying a tray. “Your supper.” The girl said and then stood behind her mother. I took the tray, placed it on the small table, and stood up.

“My husband said you needed a healer?” The women asked. I pointed to J, “She’s been ill the past day.” I told her what happened on the ship, but I changed the story so it seemed like I just jumped over and pulled her out with the help of the sailors.

She nodded her head and went over to the bed, and felt J’s forehead. She worked systematically, checking each thing in turn finally; she stood up, “She’s ill alright. Something I can’t place, I’ll have some herbs mixed and brought up with a tea, and we will see if we can’t make her drink it.”

“Thank you.” I said she nodded and strode from the room with her daughter in tow. I sat down and ate my food slowly, not really tasting it. Then I drank my tea, I found it relaxing and I enjoyed every bit of it. Tea, something I had enjoyed often with my parents and siblings. I drank every drop.

The women and daughter came back with a small cup of hot tea that smelled horrible; we sat J up and slowly had her drink the tea and finish it. The two girls made me leave the room as they helped J undress and get comfortable. “She’s asleep.” The women said shutting the door behind her, her daughter went down the steps, “We will see how she feels in the morning. If she is not better, I would suggest taking her up the road. It’s a day’s ride to the next village, but they have a healer there, a young girl gifted with healing like nothing I’ve ever seen before.” She told me.

“Thank you for your help.” I rubbed my neck and yawned. She smiled.

“My name is Anne.” She said, “I’m sorry I didn’t give my name earlier. I’ve been busy.” I dipped my head, “And I’m A.” I used J’s method of using letters as a name, there was a reason for it, and so I simply stuck with it. She raised her eyebrow, but didn’t say anything, she knew I was lying.

“Well Mr. A come on down for a glass of cool milk, and I’ll get you another room made up. My son is playing his flute in the common room.”

“Thank you, but I was just going to sleep in the chair.” I told her.

She shook her head, “Nonsense, go on downstairs now, and get yourself a seat.” She shooed me down the steps and I took a seat and listened to her son play his flute. Anne came out with a cool glass of milk and went upstairs to fix me a bed in a smaller room. I sipped at the milk, and listened to the soothing music of the flute. I closed my eyes and drifted with the music.

“Come on A.” I opened my eyes. Anne was smiling at me, “Your bed is made for you, come along.” I stood up and stretched with a yawn, and followed her up the steps to a room next to J’s. It was a small room with a simple bed and small fireplace. “You have a good night’s sleep, I’ll check on the dear in the early morning. If something should happen, you come wake me up. We have our own little house connected through the kitchen.” She told me.

I nodded my head and thanked her once more then shut the door and collapsed on the bed. I pulled my boots off and took of my shirt and pulled the blankets over my head, and fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I updated as you can see, i suppose I just felt like it. So comment and let me know how you like the story so far! = )

_CORRI_