The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 15

When I was finished with my two bowls of soup J was still talking with the father. Who I found out was named Charles. He owned the farm here, his wife had died four years back from some sickness, and now he and his daughter worked the farm alone.

“It’s a tough life.” He was saying, “But if feeds us, that and now Grace is the local healer, people come from miles around to see her. She’s brought in a good wage, and I reckon we’ll be able to survive without the farm next spring if everything stays the way it is.” Grace was cleaning the kitchen as her father spoke. She was mixing herbs and such.

“Do you need extra hands?” J asked. Charles paused a moment.

“What are you offering?” He asked.

J shrugged, “We’ll help you out around here for a little while for an honest wage and a place to stay. We are both hard workers and he’s got away with horses.” She pointed over to me.

“Besides father, the man needs to be fed properly, and he’s still not completely healed.” Grace was wiping her hands on a towel. We all looked over at her, “Can’t you tell? I mean look at him, he’s as thin as a stick, he needs food, and he needs a way of gaining back his strength.” She said.

“I wouldn’t mind getting some work sir.” I told him honestly, “I’ve had my share of farms and I’m a quick learner.” Charles leaned back in his chair and thought for a moment then nodded.

“Well alright, stay as long as you like so long as you work your share. You’ll have a place to stay and you’ll get some coin out of the deal.” J and I shook hands with him, “Well let’s get started.”

We changed and headed out back. The farm was not very big, but it was big enough to need some workers. He had six cows, four horses, a few pigs, and a goat, then he had a decent amount of cropland. “Besides its harvest season anyhow, and I could use with a few good hands.”

~ ~ ~ ~

As time passed, I found that each day I was able to survive a little bit longer with working. J worked with the animals, so that left me with Charles, harvesting the crop.

We woke up before the sun was up, and would come back when the sun was setting. Grace would cook a hearty dinner, and before I went to bed, she healed me. I wasn’t quite sure what was wrong with me, but she insisted that I see her every night before bed. To be honest, I didn’t mind one bit. Whenever she put her fingers to my temples, I felt a wave of warmth and relief in my bones. I felt better, more energized, and healthy.

J told me she was a healer, like J and I she too was different. Though unlike J and I her ability didn’t scare people, in fact, it had the opposite effect. People tended to be drawn to Grace and her ability, I found myself envying her. I could hide my power easily enough, but people tended to be a little skeptical around me, as if they could sense the beast within me, and at times it did show. When I was angry me teeth sharpened, and my talons have come out on occasion, which is why I practiced at being calm.

~ ~ ~ ~

We stayed at the farm for an entire month. Though the time passed quickly, to me it felt more like a week. We finished the harvest and even helped them trade some of his crop for other supplies that they needed. The leaves on the trees were changing into deep reds, oranges, and yellows. The breeze was cooler and the air more crisp.

I was working in the field with Charles. We were getting the field ready for next year’s planting. J had finished her work in the barn early and went inside to help Grace with dinner. “So lad.” Charles said leaning against his hoe.

“Ya?” I asked. Sweat dripped down my face and into the earth below me as I loosened the soil.

“It’s been a month that you and J have been here and I don’t even know your true names.” I stood up, wiped the sweat from my face, and took a few breaths.

“Does it matter?” I asked him. He looked at me a moment then sighed.

“No…I suppose it doesn’t. Come on, we are done now.” We picked up our tools and headed back to the house when we both stopped. There was a crowd of people walking up to the house, and they didn’t look happy.

“This way.” Charles and I dropped the tools and headed for the back door of the house. We made it there unseen and slipped inside. Grace and J were in the hallway looking at the door that was being pounded on.

Dad!” Grace hurried into her father’s arms, “What’s going on?” J and I met each other’s gaze, we were thinking the same thing.

I don’t know sweetie.” He said looking at the door, angry shouts could be heard from the other side, “I’m going to go see what they want.” He left his daughters side and went to the door, we got out of sight.

“Can I help you all?” We heard Charles ask from the door. Grace was clutching onto J worried, J was focused on the conversation, we were both ready to attack if needed. Grace and Charles had given us a home and friendship. We would never let anyone hurt them.

“Where are the boy and girl that are staying with you Charles?” I heard a man demand, “We want them out here!”

“Now just hold on a minute. What is the meaning of all this? What’s going on?” Charles asked.

“Some soldiers came into town this afternoon.” A woman spoke up, “They were talking about how a boy escaped from the prison off the long island port. The girl is also wanted for other reasons. They are offering a reward, and we tend to collect it!” There was a roar of approval from the crowd. Grace clutched onto J tighter.

“Well I’m afraid you all are too late.” Charles voice spoke above the crowd. They quieted down.

“What do you mean too late?” Someone demanded.

“I mean I’ve already turned them in for the reward.” Charles said simply, “I’m sorry you wasted your time coming all the way out here, but you’re too late.” There were murmurs of disappointment and just when I thought Charles had fooled them, someone else spoke up, “I don’t believe you!”

“Yea!” Someone else yelled, “How do we know they aren’t inside right now?” There were more yells of approval.

“I say we search the house!” A man yelled, “Get Grace out here Charles, we don’t want to harm you or her. If we don’t find anything we’ll be on our way no harm done.”

“Grace, go to your father, do as they say.” J whispered into her ear and pushed her to the door.

“But what about you?” She asked us.

“We’ll be fine. Trust me, go!” Grace gave us a pleading look then hurried to her father’s side.

“Father. What’s going on?” We heard Grace asked in a frightened voice.

“Nothing dear….”

“Come on.” J grabbed my arm and headed for the bed in the corner of the room.

“What are you doing?” I hissed as she got to her stomach and slid under the bed.

“Get down here now! Trust me!” I dropped to my stomach and rolled underneath the bed. I scooted back until I was up against J. I could feel her breathing on my neck.

“They will look under the bed you know.” I whispered to her.

“Just trust me. Stay quiet and don’t move no matter what happens.” She growled. A moment later footsteps could be heard throughout the house. We heard pots being rattled in the kitchen and voices shouting to one another throughout the house. Then they were in the bedroom. I held my breath as I saw feet come up to the bed. They threw the blankets off the bed then they paused and dropped to their knees.

“Not a sound.” J barely whispered in my ear. The man’s face dropped down to ground level and he looked me in the eye. I didn’t move, just as J had instructed. His gaze moved the length of the bed and looked a few more times then he stood up and left the room.

I let out a breath as did J. “That was close.” I muttered.

“Hardly, it would have been close if he tried to feel underneath the bed as well.” She whispered. We waited as the people searched the house and barn. It felt like an eternity until they finally left. “Alright.” J said, “They are gone…” We rolled out from under the bed and got to our feet. J shrugged then walked from the room.

“J!” We heard Charles call, “A!” We ran out of the house to the front lawn where Charles was sitting on the front porch. J scanned the area with one quick sweep then went to Charles side.

“Where is Grace?” J demanded. Charles was in tears. It unnerved me, seeing a full grown man in tears.

“They…they took her.” He sobbed. “They said they didn’t believe me. They said that if you two didn’t show up by midnight tonight that they are going to….” He didn’t finish the sentence. J stepped back from Charles then looked up at me. We both had are mouths open slightly. My fists were clenched at my sides tightly; I could feel the anger inside of me. J looked just as scary.

I stepped forward and put a hand on Charles shoulder, “We will get her back Charles. I promise you that. We will get her. I swear it.” Someone was going to pay for taking Grace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, but hey at least Water is getting updated more.

_CORRI_