The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 18

We stopped in the middle of town and J looked over at me, “We need to get you new clothes.” She said, “You’ve grown back to your normal size with the help of Grace, so I think you need to wear something that fits you.”

“How did you know?” I asked.

“Why do you think she insisted on healing you every night? She was making the process go by faster.” It was true. I was as agile as ever, and I had my old strength back, “Anyways, as I was saying. You need new clothes, among other things.” She looked me over and nodded to herself then looked down the street, “The question is…where to get them.”

“The general store?” I offered, “I’m sure they will have shirts that will fit me.”

J shook her head, “No, I want something…different.” We rode through town and stopped a tailor’s shop. J and I tethered the horses out front and stepped inside. A little bell rang as we opened the door and an older woman stepped out from the back room.

“Good day, how may I help you?” She asked politely.

“I need some clothes for him.” J stuck her thumb over her shoulder at me, “He’s my guard and he’s in desperate need of new clothes since all of his were stolen.” The women nodded and J spoke to her about what she wanted. “And I will want two sets.” She said. The women nodded then ushered me to stand on a stool as she took measurements. Then she told us to come back tonight to pick up the order. J nodded her thanks and we left the store. J looked up the street and headed off without a word, I followed silently. The horses remained tethered in front of the store.

To my surprise we stopped at the armory next, it was connected to the blacksmith, so it was very hot. I instantly left J and wandered around to look at all the weapons. Being the son of a very rich family I was trained how to use the sword from an old weapons master. As I walked among the weapons, I could tell the man that made them had skill as a blacksmith. They were nice pieces of work.

I played with a few of the blades, but none of them quite fit right. Then, I found a one handed sword, pulled it from the rack, and held the sheath in both my hands. I pulled the blade from the sheath and swung it around. It felt good to hold a sword again. “We will take that one.” I heard J say. I looked up, I hadn’t noticed the large blacksmith enter, J was standing next to him and they were both looking at me.

The blacksmith nodded, “Anything else?” He asked her. She nodded, “Yes can you sharpen my blade?” She asked taking her small sword out of its baldric and handing it to him. He nodded and took her sword and sharpened it for her. It took only minutes. “You’ll need a knife as well.” She said, “Go pick one out.” I nodded. I walked over and found a knife I liked. It was heavy enough for close combat, but balanced enough that if the need ever arose I would be able throw it a short distance.

J paid the man in fold for everything. “I was wondering sir. If two men come and ask for us, could you tell them that we are headed east to the next town. They are guards that I hired, but they were late coming and so we went on without them. If they ask for us tell them where we are headed. It would be a great favor.”
The blacksmith nodded. “Of course madam is there anything else I may help you with?”

J shook her head, “No but thank you very much for all your help.” J shook hands with the man and left. I paused a moment though.

“Is there something I can do for you?” He asked me.

“I just wanted to say that you have a nice collection of blades, you are very talented.” The man nodded his head, but looked around to make sure the coast was clear.

“To be honest, it’s not my work. Blade work is not my talent.” He told me.

“Really? Then who makes them?” I asked curiously.

“My son.” The blacksmith told me, for some reason he seemed to look relieved to be telling someone this.

“I didn’t see your son. Is he here? I would like to praise him for his work.” I told the blacksmith.

But the blacksmith was already shaking his head, “He’s quiet, my son, he stays to himself, and only comes down at night to work in the shop. However, if you come by this evening you will be able to see him. If you’d like.”

“I would, thank you very much.” I shook the blacksmiths hand, “I didn’t get your name.”

“Call my Jake.”

“Call me A.” He nodded his head. I left the armory and strapped the sword around my waist as I walked. J was standing against a building, waiting for me. She was holding the knife I bought in her hand. Her sword barely showed over her right shoulder.

“What took you so long?” She asked handing over the knife. I strapped that to the other side of my waist.

“I spoke with the blacksmith, listen do you think it’s possible for us to wait until tonight to leave? I want to go back and meet his son.” J raised an eyebrow; she was still leaned up against the building.

“Why go back tonight? Go see him now. We don’t have that much time to spare, we need to take the lead while we have the upper hand. We have no time for social get-togethers.”

I sighed, “J I know we don’t have a lot of time to spare, but the women at clothes shop said it would be tonight until my clothes were ready. So really, we would be waiting that long anyway. What’s the harm?”

J looked up at the sky. “Fine.” She said finally the walked away, I smiled and followed her. “Go do whatever you like, meet me at the bridge an hour after sunset, and don’t be late or I’m leaving you behind.” She said tossing me a small leather sack of gold over her shoulder.

“See you then.” I grinned. I went back to the horses, and decided to ride around town. I wanted to be lazy. The village was larger than the last, but not as busy as the port town. I walked the stallion down side streets and past shops. Nothing caught my interest though.

By afternoon, I had walked the streets and saw all the shops; the only place I hadn’t seen was the barracks. I decided to check it out. It was on the outside of town, near the mayor’s house. Large open space surrounded it, rings and pits were sectioned off for training. I watched men fight bare handed or with swords. I sat on the horse and watched them. There was an older man, an old fighter by the look of him; he stood with folded arms as he watched the two soldiers wrestle.

“Would you like something?” He asked me. I slid off the horse and walked up to the man.

“I was wondering if there is a place for me to practice. I’m just passing through, but it’s been a while since I’ve had the chance.” The man picked a long piece of grass, stuck it into his mouth, and looked me over.

He turned to the soldiers, “Enough. Go get something to eat.” The men stood apart nodding there head, their chests heaving from exhaustion. They sauntered off talking quietly. The old warrior turned to me, “So what is it you want exactly?”

"I simply want some time to practice. I’m a bit rusty; I haven’t used a sword….well for a very long time.” The last time I used a sword was when I was as a teenager. After I finished my training, I never found use for a sword. I was always with my father on trades and learning the family business. If the time ever came for war, I would have signed into the army, but things took a different turn.

“Well what is that sword doing on your back? Decoration?” He asked me.

I smiled, “I just bought it actually. I felt the need arise, can you help me out?”

He nodded, “Sure. I’m not really supposed to let civilians practice here, but heck, I’m the captain. I’ll help you, go tie your horse off and get ready.” He pointed to a pole and rack of weapons and leather jerkins. I tied the horse to the pole, took his saddle and bridle off, and gave him some room to eat. I unbuckled my sword and knife and placed them with the saddle I slipped a jerkin over my tunic and grabbed a wooden practice sword from the table. Swinging it experimentally between my fingers. The captain was holding a wooden sword, and was waiting for me in the roped off ring. I ducked under the rope and stood before him.

He stared at me. The man was a bear. Large burly arms and chest. A scar ran down his left arm, and I wondered if he could still use it well. By the looks of it, the wound had probably been deep enough to reach the bone. We said nothing for a few minutes, it was awkward, he simply stared at me. His gaze was solid. Finally, he opened his mouth and spat out the grass, “Well, let’s see what you’ve got.” He swung his sword in his hand and came at me. I grabbed the hilt with both hands, he was bigger than I was and I knew I had to have a good grip so I wouldn’t lose my sword.

He swung down and I stepped left, swinging his stroke to the side. He turned with the movement of his sword to bring it around at me again. I rolled forward; I could feel the wind of the wood pass above me, where my head had been two seconds before. I jumped to my feet, turning and brining my sword down as I went. He blocked it and for a moment we fought against each other’s strength, I pressed down, and he fought to push my sword away from him. Then his left hand came up and grabbed my neck and his sword was free from mine. I was defeated, “Not bad kid. You’re pretty fast.” He told me nodding his head.

“Now, let’s go over what you did wrong.” I spent a few hours with the captain, half the time I stood with my sword as he called out strokes and combinations. I was straining myself to remember everything my old sword master had taught me. Finally, the Captain and I took a break late in the afternoon and ate some food. We had discarded our shirts early on.

“So where did you learn to fight boy?” He asked me.

“Home.” I said simply, grabbing another piece of bread and cheese from the dish.

He grunted, “You’re not bad, have you ever thought of joining the forces?”

I shook my head, “Not unless there was real need. I’ve always had a mind to take over the family business. My father breeds horses for a living; it was my father’s friend that trained me. He was an old swordsman.”

The captain grunted in reply and ate his food. “Well I don’t think there is much I can help you with today. If you were here longer maybe, but I think I’ve done all I can do.” He said.

I nodded my head, “Thank you just swinging the sword helps it has been years since I have trained like I said. You’ve helped a lot.” The captain shrugged. We finished eating and I put my own shirt back on, saddled the horse, and thanked the captain once more. I made my way back to the town and decided to go to the blacksmith. The sun was getting lower in the horizon, and I didn’t want to be late, so I decided to be early.

I slipped off the horse and threw the reigns around the post. I stepped through the open doors of the shop, the heat took the breath out of me, and it took me a moment to adjust. Jake was pounding the metal, and his apprentice was stoking the fires. I stood in the doorway, the cool air from behind mixed with the warm so I wasn’t over heated.

Eventually Jake flipped the metal and cooled it off in a bucket of water, satisfied with his work, and set in on a table where there were tons of other metal parts. He wiped his face, looked up, and spotted me. I raised my hand and waved once. He nodded his head and pointed to a chair in the corner to my right, I walked over and sat down. I stretched my legs out in front of me and relaxed. The heat wasn’t so bad now, there was a slight breeze from the door, and I was tired from the sword practice. So I closed my eyes, and listened to the hammers rhythm.
♠ ♠ ♠
So you should go read this story, cuz its cute. And I liked it. = )
STORY!

Comments!
_CORRI_