The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 21

I helped Gavril tie up the bounty hunters; we gagged them, and placed them in a storage closet and locked the door. The man I had cut was nearly dead, and I did not think he would last the hour, not that I really cared. I went outside, got the horses inside, and closed the door again. They had small saddle bags and I knew it wouldn’t be enough room to hold Jake and Gavril’s belongings. “I’m going to go get something.” I told Gavril, “Try to wake your father; I’ll be back in a little while alright?”

He nodded to let me know he understood. I nodded in return and left through the armory once more. I found my horse still waiting outback; I smiled and swung into the saddle. I urged him into a gallop and made haste to the stables. I pulled back on the reigns and jumped off in front of the house. I knocked on the door. It wasn’t late, he was probably eating dinner.

“Just a moment. Just a moment.” I heard him grumble from the other side. Then the door opened and the light from the inside illuminated my face. He looked at me; it took him a moment to recognize me, “No returns.” He said and started to close the door.

I stuck my foot out to keep it open, “I’m not here to return the horse.” I told him. He opened the door and looked at me suspiciously, “I want to buy a couple more.”

“Buy some you say?” He asked.
I nodded my head, “Yea, I need two good strong packing horses. And I’ll pay for them up front.” I lifted my sack of gold coins.
“Well let’s go see what I’ve got then.” He said grabbing his coat.

~ ~ ~ ~

I bought two horses, with tack. The tack was special because it was only meant for packing things, hence the term ‘packhorse’. I tied the white packhorse to the brown one’s saddle, and then I held onto the brown ones lead rope as I rode back into town. I made sure the road was clear before I got off, slipped the horses inside through the front door, and slid the door closed again. “Gavril.” I called out. The two horses from the bounty hunters were standing quietly; they were large enough for Gavril and Jake to ride. I tethered the two packhorses next to them, and went upstairs to find Gavril.

“Gavril?” I called. Gavril was on his knees next to his father; his father was sitting against the wall in the corner. To my surprise, Gavril had blood running down the side of his face. He looked up when he heard me call his name then he shook his head afraid. I acted before my brain could even process a full thought. I pulled out my sword, but too late.

I large fist came out of nowhere and connected with my arm. My hand opened of its own will, and the sword dropped to the ground. I turned to face my opponent; another fist collided with my chest, the force pushed me back a few feet. I pulled my hands into fists and held them up, ready for a fight. My arm screamed with pain, and my chest ached painfully, but I ignored it. Two large men came out of the shadows, they were nearly identical to the other bounty hunters, only this time, I knew that these men were after me. These men had even scared J.

“Who are you?” I demanded. Even though I already knew.

“Where’s the girl?” The taller one demanded. They had the hoods pulled over their faces; they blended with the darkness, just as J had done when she had scaled the tower to my prison. The thought of going back there made be angry, I would not suffer these men for anything.

“I ditched her.” I spat, “She was causing trouble. Now again, who are you and what do you want?” I demanded.

“We are not important; we came for you and the girl.”
“Then you have no business with these two. Leave them alone or I’ll kill you.”
“They are not our job.” The taller one assured me, “You and the girl are. Now tell me where did she go?”

“I already told you, I ditched her.”
“I don’t believe you.”
“Believe what you want but it’s the truth.”

“Very well we will take care of you first Beast then we shall see if we can’t find the girl.” The shorter of the two stepped forward. I wondered if he had a power as the other one did. Then I wondered why if they were like J and I, why would they be hunting us?

The shorter of the two pulled his hood back; to my surprise, he was old, at least sixty. “You want to come with us.” He said. I suddenly felt the pull of his words. He was a Brain, just like J. I fought against his words, I tried to push them out but he was strong.

“Let us tie you up.” He said. His voice was in my mind, I felt the need to go to them, to let them take me without a fight, “That’s right, no reason to fight us. Come here.” My fists slowly dropped and I took a step forward. Why should I fight them? I wondered to myself, They haven’t done anything to harm me. They could be friends.

I took another step forward. “Friends.” I said aloud.
“Yes that’s right, we are friends.” He soothed, beckoning me closer.
“Like hell you are!” Out of nowhere a sword flashed through the darkness, the blade glinted in the moonlight and the two men fell, dead. I blinked and jumped back. What just happened?

I looked up, “J?” I asked. She was wearing all black; the hood was over her face, she looked like an assassin. She pulled the cloth from her mouth, pulled her hood off her head, and sheathed her sword.

“Yes it’s me.” She said.
“I thought you left.”

She shrugged and went over to Jake and Gavril. She placed a hand on Jakes head and he woke up. “What’s happened?” Jake asked groggily. So then, J and I explained what had happened, Jake became more alert with each word and soon he was standing up.

When he finished explaining Jake looked to Gavril, “Looks like we will be moving again.”
Gavril nodded, “That’s alright.”
Jake nodded in return, “It seems I owe you both thanks. I don’t know how to repay you.”

“No need, it was my pleasure.”I told him, “There are four horses downstairs you can have; they are ready to go whenever you finish packing your things.”

He nodded, “Again thank you.”
I waved my hand, “No need.”
J stood up, “We should be leaving now. Good luck.” She shook hands with Gavril and Jake and left.

I shook hands with Jake and Gavril gave me a hug. “Hold on.” He said going to his room. A moment later, he came out with a piece of black metal in his hand. Then he formed a cup around it, enveloping it in his hands and when he pulled away, there was a miniature dragon standing on all fours with its wings outstretched. He handed me the dragon,
“Friends.” He told me.
I grinned, “Friends.” I agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought I would update something. Different World, Different life is coming along slowly, Sorry about that. Well hope you enjoyed. You silent readers are not fun! You know who you are! Leave a comment!

_CORRI_