The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 25

Jeremy started his story off by rattling a tale about his business and how he came to the city; J politely interrupted him, and reminded him that she already knew this story. He grumbled at how rude she was and then saw the tea J had spilled earlier on. He quickly cleaned it up and fussed about how expensive the rug had been. The entire time, I simply sat on the couch, marveling that J would put up with such a man.

Finally, Jeremy settled back down into the chair after he poured us fresh tea and pulled out some pastries as well. I sipped the tea cautiously, deemed it safe, and drank it thankful. The pastries I left untouched. I had a feeling that the green on top wasn’t icing. I also noted that J didn’t touch them either.

“Now, where was I?” Jeremy asked for the third time and then started talking to himself.

I leaned over and whispered into J’s ear, “Couldn’t you read his mind and find out? This is taking forever J.” She sighed quietly.

“I could, but to be completely honest, I’m afraid to.”

I blinked, J was afraid? “Why?”

“His mind has already been under a lot of stress, I’m afraid that prodding through it may do some permanent damage. But he is a bit more scattered brained than normal…” J placed her tea back onto the table, “Jeremy, why don’t we come back tomorrow? You look like you could use a good night’s rest.” J stood up and I did as well.

“Leaving? Already?” He said pouting. I truly wondered if he was a seven-year-old child dressed up as an old man. However, maybe it was the pressure his mind had been under.

“Yes, we will be back tomorrow though Jeremy. Come, I’ll help you to bed.” I was shocked at J’s sudden kindness. She took on an entirely different role than the normal selfish J. I stood back as J helped Jeremy to his feet and helped him up the stairs. I stood back and simply, watched. I was in shock to say the least, but I was also…intrigued. She put an arm around his shoulders and when they reached the top, I slowly made my way up. I was afraid that if I got to close J would go back to her normal self. I didn’t want that to happen, I wanted to see this new J, even just for a moment.

I reached the top of the stairs. The hallway extended in either direction. I saw a light on to my right so I went towards it. J was pulling the covers up around Jeremy’s shoulders, and then she sat down on a stool by his bed. She took one of his frail hands and spoke to him in a very calming voice, “I’m sorry Jeremy I shouldn’t have pestered you.” I stayed in the darkness of the hallway, out of sight.

Jeremy smiled at her, and for a moment, I saw the two as old friends. J was acting like a normal woman, and Jeremy was acting like an old man should. “Do not fret. I will be fine; you know I’m a tough nut to crack.”

J smiled sadly, “It’s my fault, if I would have seen the bondage on your mind to begin with…” She trailed off. “I’m such a fool.”

“Then you wouldn’t have met Asher.” He said softly, if my hearing wasn’t better than most, I wouldn’t have heard it.

J looked up at Jeremy, but said nothing. Then, finally, she stood up kissed Jeremy on the forehead, “Sleep well.” She pulled back, touched his head with her fingertips for a full minute. Jeremy’s eyes closed and J blew out the candle.

I followed J back down the stairs. I helped her clean up the teacups, we took them to the kitchen, and then we left. Once outside J put her hands on her hips and took a long deep breath of fresh air. Then when she opened her eyes, I knew she was back to her old self.

She looked at me and saw that I was looking at her, “What?” She demanded.

“Nothing.” I told her once more.

“Well fine, if you’re done staring why don’t why go find a place to sleep?” J suggested.

I nodded my head, “Good idea.”

“Of course it’s a good idea, it was my idea.” I smiled. I really did like J, nice or evil.

~ ~ ~ ~

The inn we decided to stay in was rather dull, and expensive. We had to pay for the rooms up front and the meal was not included in the fee. I asked J why we didn’t go somewhere with better prices, but she waved my question aside and said, ‘Are you paying for it? No, so why are you so worried about it? So shut up and eat.’

I decided to let J have her way. Even though we could be saving a few gold coins. I did as J instructed, and I ate. A lot. Being on the road sucks, even if the fresh air is nice, and feeling of adventure. However, the meals are not so wonderful. Normally food is whatever you can fit into a pair of saddlebags, but those things have to be non-perishable. Which normally means dried everything. So juicy hot steak and a glass of cold milk were hitting the spot for dinner tonight. We took a corner table, the place was semi crowded, I guess some of the rich locals liked to come out to dinner here.

J had naturally taken the corner seat so she could keep an eye on the place. I had my back to the wall, and was stuffing down food. I had already gone through two plates and was working on my third. Luckily, the place only made you pay per person, and not per plate. “Good God Asher, do you plan on eating the whole cow?” J asked sarcastically in her usual bored voice.

I swallowed the current food in my mouth then grinned at her, “Are you going to eat any of the cow? You’ve hardly touched your food, and I know with the rations we’ve been on you have got to be hungry.” I took another bite of mashed potatoes.

“I am eating.” J said taking a bite, “I’m just being civilized about it.” I rolled my eyes, “And even if you are hungry, it’s not normal to eat that much.” I took a sip of milk and wiped my mouth.

“Well J, I never said I was normal.” I told her honestly.

J turned her head and looked at me curiously, “Please do elaborate.”

“Ok, I will.” I sat back in my chair, giving the food a break for the moment. “Ever since I transformed for the first time, I’ve been able to eat large amounts of food. My body burns more energy than normal people do, this is just something I found out on my own. But my body needs food to be able to have the energy I need to maintain my…”I lowered my voice more, “my beast form. Unlike you, my power doesn’t make me weak so quickly, I can maintain the beast form as long as I want, if I am able to eat regularly so my body has the sufficient energy to burn. When I was back in prison, I was constantly weak and as you saw extremely thin. That is because my body was trying to find the energy it needed, and it took all my extra fat. When I transformed back at the prison, I wasn’t able to keep it up long, as you noticed, I was too weak.” I sat forward and continued to eat my food.

“Interesting.” She said eating her food. “When we were little my brother always ate a lot more, my mother and father always blamed it on him being a growing man.” J was silent a moment, I had no doubt she was remembering her brother, “Why is it do you think, that your power doesn’t make you weak in the sense that mine does?” She asked me.

I shrugged, “Maybe because it’s just another form of me and so I only burn energy like a normal body would?” I suggested.

She thought about it a moment, “You know Asher, that actually makes logical sense.” She said it as if she was actually surprised that I would come up with such a smart thing.

“Jee thanks.” I rolled my eyes, just as the door to the inn opened and new person came in. J looked up, she continued to eat, but she didn’t look down at her plate once. I didn’t even bother looking up, “So, I’m going to go ahead and guess that someone you know just walked through that door?” I guessed swallowing my food.

“Yup.”

“And I’m also going to guess that this person isn’t a good friend?”

“Yup.”

I sighed, “Figures…well, shall we go say hello?”

“Maybe in a minute.” Finally I looked up at J, she smiled at me mischievously, and I had to grin back. It was always an adventure with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really do love J. = )

_CORRI_