The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 3

As I transformed I ran forward with my four powerful legs, my talons dug at the ground and I leapt forward using my wings. I grabbed the shadow and pushed off with my hind legs, front fingers of my right paw clutching around the body of the shadow. My wing muscles strained as I began to ascend. The guards were yelling. Bolts from crossbows whistled past me, but nothing mattered, I was flying again. I took one turn around the tower then let the wind take me. I was a violent wind this high up, and I struggled to remain level. Then when I was sure we had traveled far enough I dipped down and landed in a small field dropping the shadow as I did. I stretched out my wings as far as they would go and roared with all my might. Then transformed back into my human self and laughed. I laughed long and hard, whooping at points when laughing wasn’t enough to show my emotion.

The shadow stood staring at me and then ripped their face cover off still glaring at me and I stopped laughing. It was a woman. She was fuming, “You-” She stopped then took a step forward, jabbed a finger into my chest, “You almost got me killed.” She growled.

“No, I just saved your life.” I pointed out.

“If I wasn’t for you I wouldn’t need saving.” She turned and started marching off into the woods as she talked to herself, “What was I thinking? I should have left him behind!” She was saying. I ran forward to catch up.

“Hold on a minute!” I fell instep beside her, “I owe you thanks, I’ve been a prisoner for two years, you have my life it you wish it.” I said seriously. She wasn’t paying attention to me. She was looking at her arm shaking her head.

“Listen to me.” I stepped in front of her and she stopped walking. I noticed now that she had a rather large cut on her upper arm. “Let me see.” She stepped back, “I’ll be fine I assure you, now run along, I have work to do.” She brushed past me. I turned and caught up with her again. She was walking fast.

“It’s my fault you got hurt.”

“Yup.” She said simply. I got the feeling she didn’t want me to talk so I fell silent and followed behind her, she took a black hollow whistle from her neck several times and blew, no sound came out. I raised an eyebrow behind her back but didn’t say anything. Twenty minutes later a horse snorted to a stop and pounded his foot to the ground. He was a beautiful slick black horse that matched her clothes. He had strong legs for running, and I assumed for jumping as well.

She mounted with ease and picked up her reigns, “It was a pleasure.” She tipped her head then turned the horse to leave.

“I’m coming with you.” I told her, “On my honor, I’ll walk all the way if I have to.”
She stopped and looked over her shoulder, “Is that so? Too bad your legs don’t work.” She said deadly calm.

“My legs work just fi-” Me legs gave out and collapsed to the forest floor. Panicked I looked up, but she was gone. My eyes widened, my legs wouldn’t move, no matter what I told my brain I couldn’t feel them, and I couldn’t move them. My breathing became shallow and my heart pounded in my throat. I was paralyzed!

“Hello?” My voice caught in my throat, “Hello!” I called out. No one, not a sound, I gulped. Alright calm down…think I thought to myself. I took a few deep breaths. I was tempted to release the winged beast within me, but I decided against it. It was windy, it would be foolish to fly again. I remained there, on my knees for some time, it might have been an hour I wasn’t sure. I was afraid the guards would come and find me, though there would be no tracks for miles to find…except for her horse. If he had been near the prison then I was doomed, they would find the tracks come morning. I willed my legs to work, why had they suddenly stopped working? What had she done to me?

“Well at least you haven’t started crying.” My head snapped up. She sat on the horse, blending in perfectly with the darkness around her, the horse as well.

“You didn’t leave me.” I stated gladly.

“No. I guess I didn’t. Get up; you’re getting those rags you call clothes even dirtier.” She said.

“My legs don’t work.” I told her.

“Of course they do, come on stand up.” I did. I was confused and I looked up at her with that expression. She simply laughed at me for a quick second, “The same look from every other half minded twit.” I frowned but she continued, “If you would learn to use your brain you’d be surprised at what you be able to do.” She leaned forward on the hump of the saddle.

“I do use my brain, I can read and write, and I went to school when I was of the age. I am not some common-” She waved her hand and cut me off.

“-I’m not talking of literature and the ability to read and write you pompous idiot.” She dismissed me, “Just because you can write what you have been told doesn’t make you smart. The ability to adapt and have common sense is far more useful out here in the real world.”

I had never been spoken to like this before in my life, perhaps by the guards but never like this. “You say another insult and I swear-”

“-You’ll what? Turn into a dragon like you Beast types tend to do?” She demanded dismounting from the horse and smacked me full in the face.

I touched my cheek where it was beginning to sting. She pulled back and I caught her wrist before she could do it again, “See you just learned.” She said simply, “Amazing how fast someone learns when there is pain involved.” She slapped me with her other hand then stomped on my foot with her heel. I released her wrist and took in a deep breath biting back the pain, “But that doesn’t mean there aren’t other ways of looking at things. Remember that. When you think you’re ready for an attack, think again.” She nodded once, went back, and mounted on her horse.

“You coming or not?” She asked turning into the woods once more. I limped after her and touched my other cheek. Who was this woman?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry its short. But at least its an update! Comments and banners are loved.
_CORRI_