The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 31

The great mountains bordered along the south like a natural wall, large rivers cut through them, and a few towns managed a living there. One of the four capital cities was located south, but I doubt that J would actually want to go to a large city, unless she had good reason to. I found a clearing large enough for me to take flight again and I caught an air current and rode it into the sky. Now that I knew that J was headed southeast, I could fly higher and travel faster. I dipped down once every hour to catch her scent again to make sure she was still headed in the same direction then I would go back to a higher altitude.

In my dragon state, I was able to take in my surroundings at incredible detail. My eyes saw shadows as light, and it saw light as slight shadows. During the day, my eyes adjusted to fit the light, so instead, it takes light and turns shadows bright and there isn’t anything that I cannot see. My sense of smell is also incredible, I could smell anything and put it to memory and store it in a gland. Then of course, there was my hearing capability, let us just say it is really good. Being up above the clouds again was a great feeling. I hadn’t flown in forever, and I had been itching to take flight. Up here, everything seemed so much simpler. Just the sky, the birds, and the clouds. Of course, it was a lot colder up this high, but my scales and body temperature helped kept me toasty warm.

~ ~ ~ ~

I dipped down above the trees and found J’s scent instantly. It was early morning, the sun had yet to rise but the pink hue in the clouds told me I only had an hour left before I would have to land for the day unless I wanted to be seen. J’s scent was stronger now; I had traveled the equivalent of a two-day’s ride in one night so her scent was fresher. I accidentally dipped too low and knocked off the tops of a couple of trees. I flapped my wings twice and rose higher. I shook my long neck. I was exhausted. My body ached, my stomach was demanding food, and I knew if I didn’t eat then my body would start using the energy stored in my body. I didn’t want that to happen again. I was in shape and strong and I wanted to stay that way.

I started scanning the woods for some wild game, but for some reason, the forest seemed quiet. My stomach gave another loud rumble. I drifted higher into the sky and searched around, and then a scent hit my nose. My tongue came out of my mouth and licked my lips. “I smell breakfast.” I turned myself west, traveled for a mile, and came upon a farm. I frowned, and landed in the nearby woods. I didn’t want to take from a farmer who was trying to feed his family, but I needed energy. I looked around the herd of cattle and saw the one that looked liked the weakest of the bunch and decided to have him.

I put my pack down onto the ground and crouched low to the ground. Like a cat, I waited until I had a clear shot, and then pounced forward. I grabbed the cow, broke its neck, killing it instantly. The herd scattered frightened as I devoured the cow. I ate everything that I could and then I took the carcass, flew it a few miles into the woods, and dropped it there. No reason to start strange rumors by leaving behind a devoured cow. At least that’s what J would say. As I flew back to get my pack I couldn’t help but feel angry all over again. J. I deep growl resonated in the back of my throat.

I swooped down scattering the cattle for the second time and grabbed my pack from off the ground without landing. I turned southeast once more and tried to cover as much ground as I could before the sun came up.

Before long though, it was getting to bright and I was forced to find a safe place to land. I spotted a small clearing and I hovered above it and lowered myself down at a steady safe place until my back legs touched the ground. I shook myself and then stretched out as a cat would after taking a nap. I moved my wings straight up as far and they could go then I let go of the power and turned back into a human.

As the last of my Beast form left me, I dropped to my knees and gasped. Transforming fully back and forth was exhausting to say the least. I rested a moment on my hands and knees. The pack lay on the ground before me. The early morning birds sung around me, the suns light was just beginning to light the forest, but the coolness of the night remained. I looked down at the black clothes that J had gotten me, and the anger came back again, but I pushed it aside. I looked around and spotted a large tree. I pushed myself off the ground, grabbed my pack, and slowly made my way over to it.

I dropped my pack and sat at the base of the tree. I untied J’s shirt from my pack and dug my hand inside. I pulled out the traveling cloak out and wrapped it around me then used the pack as a pillow. I would rest for a while and then start travelling on foot. I closed my eyes. I’m going to find you J, if it’s the last thing I do. I swear it.

~ ~ ~ ~

When I woke up the sun was high in the sky and it warmed my body. I pulled the cloak from around my shoulders and stretched. It was noon already so I must have slept for six hours or so. I took a few minutes to eat a light breakfast; the cow had replenished my energy supply for a while so I wasn’t too hungry. I packed my bag up, took the sword, strapped it to my waist, and headed towards the road. If memory served me right, it was just a little ways east.

Ten minutes later, I was on the road. I looked right and left but I didn’t see anyone coming, I sighed and headed south. It was a well-kept road, it wasn’t stoned or anything but there weren’t any tree’s hanging over it either. I whistled to myself with the birds and tried to mimic their song. It was boring without J; I was so used to her company now that I felt like a part of me was missing without her. I always entertained myself with asking her questions. I growled when I realized I was thinking about her again.

I heard the familiar sound of horses’ hooves and stopped to listen, a moment later a man driving a cart came around the bend in the road. He was headed in the same direction that I was. I waved to him and he slowed down, “Do you think you could give me a lift?” I asked him as he pulled to a stop. He looked me over and noted the sword, I touched the hilt, “Not to worry friend, this isn’t used lightly. You have my word.” I told him.

He looked at me warily, “You a soldier?” He asked.

“Of sorts.” I nodded. Being J’s partner was like being a soldier. He looked down the road as if to consider leaving me behind to walk. “I won’t be any trouble sir, if it makes you feel any better I will leave my weapons with you up front. And I will sit in the back; all I want is to get off my feet.” I told him seriously.

He finally nodded his head, “Alright, I agree to your terms.” I nodded happily and handed him all of my weapons but kept my pack with me and climbed into the back of the small horse cart. It reminded me of the cart that I had used to take J to Grace. Again, I growled when I caught myself thinking about J. The back was layered with straw so I plucked a long piece and put it into my mouth, No one gets away from me that easily J.I thought to myself. I liked to think she could hear my thoughts, You may throw everyone else aside like used rags, but you made the mistake of teaming up with Asher Coal. The sun was warm to my skin as I rode in the back of the man’s cart. It was a relatively smooth ride, and the rode was empty. We only pasted one other person in two hours of traveling.

“So where are you headed my friend?” I asked the man as I pulled out my lunch.

“Home, my wife is awaiting my return. I own a farm. My wife and I are getting older and with my sons married and off I wanted to sell some of my land so I could manage it easier. Therefore, I went to the Western Capital and sold some of it.

I nodded my head. The capital cities, though scattered and sometimes far away from people were the main source of commerce and profit. This farmer was one of many individuals that made the long journey to trade. My father and I had been one of them before my life had changed. After all, I was the first-born and he was optimistic of me taking over his business. Each year we travelled to the northern capital city for the annual parade to show my father’s horses, and we won a lot. I sighed to myself. Remembering my past was painful, I missed my father, my mother, and the twins. I smiled to myself; the twins would be all grown up by now. They probably started going with father on his trading routes. They would be twelve now. I stopped thinking about them and stared at the wood ahead of me. Is life always this cruel?

“Halt!” Someone shouted loudly. I was jerked from my dreamlike state and turned to looked down the road. The older man did not stop his cart but he slowed down. I looked further ahead. Down the road a ways were four large bearded men with swords blocking the road. At first, I thought they might be Bounty hunters that had somehow found me, but when I let my power come to my eyes, I was able to see every detail about them. They were simple bandits. The man stopped his cart a long ways away, unsure of what to do.

“Give me my sword.”I told him quietly as I got to my feet behind him.

“How do I know you aren’t in league with these men and are trying to rob me?” He asked suspiciously.

“I wouldn’t need four men to help me rob from you. If I wanted to do you harm I would have done it a long time ago. I will protect you as payment for the ride, just give me my sword.” I urged him. The men were walking towards us now. The man hesitated, but saw the bandits. He reached under his seat, pulled the sword out, and handed it to me. I quickly unsheathed it, jumped up onto the driver’s seat, and jumped off the side. I walked out in front of the horse and stood with my sword tip up. The four men slowed their advance.

“We don’t want to harm anyone, just give us your money and you can be on your way.” The four men looked a lot alike. They all had thick heads of hair with large beards, the same types of clothing, weapons, and they even smelled the same, like dirty bandits.

“How about you get out of our way, let us continue on, and I won’t be forced to hurt you.” I knew it wouldn’t be hard to defeat these men if I were able to use my power, but I also didn’t want to scare away my only ride. I could always walk, but that was slower and if he saw me in my Beast form, he would start rumors. That was the last thing I wanted to worry about.

The man laughed, “I like your sense of humor kid, come on, you can’t be serious, we are trying to be reasonable. We could just kill you and take all of your possessions, but I don’t think we feel like killing today, but that could change.” He warned.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, “Please, I doubt your little pea brain could comprehend anything but more stupidity.” I realized then that I was sounding more and more like J. What is wrong with me? I shook my head to clear it.

The men all scowled at me, “Maybe we should kill the boy and make an example out of him.” One suggested.

“Boy?” I asked turning to him, “How old do you think I am?” I asked.

“Or maybe cut out his tongue, I’m getting sick of his mouth.” They ignored me.

“Get out of our way and let us pass.” I repeated.

He folded his arms, “No I don’t think we will.” My grip tightened on the sword. These men were getting in my way from finding J, and they were making me lose valuable time. It was pissing me off. “I’m warning you one last time, let us pass or I will harm all of you.” I said slowly. Each second I wasted here was a second I could have used catching up to J.

“Again, it will not happen.”

“Very well.” I drove my blade straight forward like a snake would bit at a pray. It was fast and accurate. The tip of my blade drove into the left shoulder of the man and he cried out. The other three rushed to attack me. The horse behind me nickered, frightened at the scent of blood. I swung down with a right-handed slash and hit one of the large men in his lower left calf and he collapsed unable to hold his weight. I jumped back, avoided the swing of an axe, and lifted my sword once more. Only two left to defeat.

“Get out of my way or will harm you as well.” I growled at them both. I wasn’t sure if my eyes were changing back and forth or not, I was having a hard time containing my anger. However, the men were not shrinking back in fear so I assumed my power was under control for the moment.

“There are still two of us left boy.” They attacked as one and I realized that I was actually in danger for the first time. I spun to my left and stabbed into the first mans foot. He yelled out in pain. I then pulled my elbow up to catch the second man’s jaw. I heard something crack and they both fell to the ground. I pulled my sword out of the foot, wiped my sword off, and stood up straight. I took a moment to catch my breath and calm myself. The men were all unconscious and bleeding; I took all of their money and weapons and went back to the man on the cart. I handed him my sword.

He shook his head, “Keep it. You are more use with it.” I grinned, grabbed its sheath from under the drivers’ bench, and sheathed it.

“You can sit up here if you would like.” I nodded my head and climbed up. I dropped the weapons in the back of the cart and he steered the horse around the bodies, I told him to drive over them it would not make a difference. He only laughed. I was being serious.

I counted out the money; surprisingly they had thirty gold coins on them. It was a good amount, so I dump half of it into my leather sack and handed the rest to the driver. The man held the reigns in one hand and took the sack.”Really? You did all the work…”

I laughed, “I don’t need all of it. Besides, you are giving me a lift and this is payment.” I reminded him. He nodded and put the sack under his seat. Now that he wasn’t suspicious of me killing and robbing him he was very friendly. He talked about his wife back home and his sons who were all off and married. I listened, happy to be distracted for the time being. As the sun began to get lower in the sky and was just about dark, I became antsy. I would take to the sky again soon and be on my way once more.

“Umm. Listen I’m going to get off, thank you for the lift I really appreciate it.” The man looked over at me with a raised eyebrow and looked around.

“But we are miles from the nearest village, what are you going to do? Sleep in the woods? I insist you stay; you can sleep in the back of the cart and get a room at the village. I know the people that own the inn.” He offered. The thought of a warm bed and hot food was very tempting, but I was on a mission.

I shook my head, “No, it’s just I’m going in that direction.” I pointed somewhere, “It’s time I said goodbye.”

The man pulled back on the reigns and I hopped off, collected my things, and put them all into the pack. I pulled the straps over my shoulders and smiled at the man, “Thank you again, for the lift. You saved me a day’s walk.”

He nodded his head, “Good luck.” I waved and walked into the woods.

“Same to you.”

~ ~ ~ ~

I walked for a little ways; the woods were quite dense so I wouldn’t be able to take off until I found an open area, unless I wanted to destroy a bunch of trees…which was a possibility if I wanted to leave behind a huge sign saying, ‘something big was here.’

I decided to walk for an hour to give myself a chance to find a clearing, if I didn’t find one by then, I would have to destroy some trees. Luckily, though, it only took me fifteen minutes to find a place big enough for me to transform and take off. I slid the heavy pack from my shoulder, attached my sword to it, and made sure everything was secure. I took a few steps back cracked my neck, stretched a few times, and then released my flow of power.

As soon as I transformed I stretched and whipped my tail around. I needed to hunt before I flew very far. I reached over and grabbed my pack then jumped high into the air using my wings and powerful legs. I was air-born once more.

I let my nose take in the scents around me as I flew low over the trees trying to pick up J’s trail. I found it after a few miles and began following it once more. I searched for food at the same time. I caught a glimpse of a herd of deer and turned back. I would have to kill two to get a near full stomach. I rose high into the sky then fell into a dive. I came in so fast the deer didn’t have time to respond. I swooped low, picked off two deer with my back claws and carried them away with me. They struggled around in my grip that was suffocating them but I held on and soon they died. I found a place to land and ate my meal.

When I first was learning of my power I hated killing animals so savagely. I went hunting with my father every season, but being a dragon was different. You could kill anything you wanted without much effort. The raw meat took a while to get used to as well, the taste was not the best, but my dragon digestive system was able to digest it without any problem, I just had to not think about cooked human food or else I would get myself queasy.

When I finished my meal, I took to the sky once more and followed J’s trail. Her scent was no stronger or weaker than the night before, which meant she was still ahead of me by a couple of days. I hoped that by the end of the night I would catch up by at least a day. I hoped to have her in my clutches by the end of the week. I let out a deep rumble of a chuckle from my throat. J was going to be shocked when she saw me again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone I would love it if you went and checked out this story. She is my sister, and she has an awesome story! So go support her, = )

STORY!

_CORRI_