The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 39

“You should find her.” Grace said, she thought she had knocked some sense into me.

I nodded my head, “I will, and I will kill her.”

Grace opened her mouth, her facial expression was that of disgust, but she never got to speak, because Charles opened the door and walked in. “Evening.” Charles greeted, stomping the snow off his feet as he closed the door tightly behind him. “It’s snowing again.” I frowned at that news. Charles now noticed that I was on the floor, and Grace was looking upset. He frowned, “What happened?” Grace suddenly dropped her head into her hands and ran up the stairs, unable to speak.

“She yelled at me.” I told Charles, “She wants me to go find J.” I was the truth, partially.

“Oh.” He said, “And?”

“I’m going to find her.” I nodded, “Or die trying.” I knew that Charles sensed something wasn’t quite right, but he shrugged it off and I helped him make dinner. Grace didn’t emerge from her room.

“So what news do you have?” I asked him as I helped cut vegetables.

He shook his head, “There is a lot of ruckus going on around the barracks, and there were a few soldiers out searching houses on the other end of town, but once the snow started they gave up. I am certain they will be back in the morning, once the snow settles.”

I nodded, “I plan on leaving anyway…Grace doesn’t want me to, but I know it’s for the best.”

Charles looked at me, “I’m sorry to put you in such a situation.”

I shrugged, “It’s not a big deal. Can I ask for one thing though?”

“Anything.”

“Can I borrow some money? I’m afraid that the men took all my supplies…and I have nothing but the clothes on my back.”

“Absolutely, if you want to buy supplies tonight, I will go with you.”

I nodded my head, “That would be best.”

He nodded, “I’ll tell Grace to keep an eye on the stew and we’ll go out.” He walked up the stairs and came back a few minutes later he handed me a thick fur lined cloak, “You can keep that one, it’s an extra I found.”

I swung it over my shoulders, “This is great.” I told him. I pulled the hood over my head and we stepped out of the house and into the cold evening.

The snow was up to mid calf, and more fell every second, “First real storm of the year.” Charles said loudly, I simply nodded my head and followed him down the road. We stopped outside a store and Charles pushed the door open I followed and closed the door behind me. A little bell that hung above the door rang and I pulled off my hood and looked around.

“We are closed.” A short balding man stepped into the store from the back, then smiled when he saw Charles, “Oh, it’s you Charles, what can I do for you?”

“Are you sure it’s alright? We need to buy a few things.” The man waved his hand, “It’s fine, I can help you, it’s the least I can do.” Charles and I walked through the general store; the wooden shelves reached the ceiling and were full of items.

“Anything else?” The man asked as he tallied up the cost of everything he had pulled off the shelves.

“Is there are any horses for sale?” I asked the man.

He looked at me suspiciously, and shifted on his feet, “Not sure, and even if there was no one would be selling them on a night like this, you’ll have to wait.” I shrugged and looked away. I had to get used to people acting defensively around me again. Charles thanked the man and I helped carry everything back through the snow.

Once home Charles placed everything onto the table and I began to sort through it and began to pack the bag. Once finished I placed it by the door, I grabbed the new dagger, secured the boot sheath around my leather boot, and placed the dagger inside. It wasn’t a sword, but it offered some protection at least. “I still say that was a waste of money.” Charles said taking the large pot out of the fire.

“Why?” I asked him.

“Couldn’t you just change if you were ever in a fight?” He asked

I nodded, “I could, but it would draw unwanted attention, and start unwanted rumors. You remember the men that were after us back in your old village?” Charles nodded his head, “They are more of them, and we got away from the two that were after us, but who’s to say that others won’t come? No, I will stay as normal as possible, besides, I was trained in hand to hand combat, swordsmanship, and archery as a young man. My father wanted to make sure I knew how to defend myself.”

Grace came down the stairs, I could tell she had been crying, but she put on a stern face now, “Grace, glad you are here. I’ll be leaving, so I’ll be glad if you could heal me one last time.”

Grace glared at me, “No.”

Charles looked over at his daughter, “No?” I asked.

“I will not heal you; I refuse to help a man who is on a mission to kill.”

Charles looked over at me, “Is that true?” He asked me.

I looked between the two, “Yes.” I nodded my head, “It’s true, J betrayed me, I would be in prison if I hadn’t escaped with your help. I cannot forgive her for that.” I tightened my fists, “Will not.”

“You want to kill J?” Charles asked surprised.

“Yes, she deserves it.”

Charles shook his head, “That may be, but that’s no reason to kill someone.”

I stood up, “It’s my choice to make.”

Charles fell silent and went back to the stew, but Grace was still upset, “You aren’t the Asher I know!” She yelled at me.

“Grace.” Charles warned.

She glared at him, “How can you be silent, when you know he wants to murder J!” She yelled, “It’s not right!”

“What she did to me isn’t right!” I raised my voice, they turned to me, “I handed her my trust willingly, and she gave me her word, as friends. We were partners, and she turned around and stuck that trust right into my back. I should have listened to everyone’s warnings, I was a fool!”

“You’re being a fool now!” She tears roll down her cheeks, “Why can’t you understand that?” She asked, “You don’t know what J has been through, you don’t understand what you two are capable of doing, all you see is the surface, when really you need to look deeper!”

I laughed sarcastically, “Deeper?” I scoffed, “There is nothing deep about J, and she thinks she knows everything about everyone because she can read minds. She knows nothing about friendships or trust. She is a natural born betrayer and a liar. She cares nothing for the feelings of others. She tossed me away like a used rag, without a goodbye, or any sort of explanation. When just before we had agreed to be partners, to be friends, she was toying with me, it’s all she ever did.”

“You don’t know anything!” Grace walked up to me, she was shorter, but it didn’t lessen the effect of her wild curls and red face, “You just assume, do you even know why she left?” She demanded.

“I don’t-”

“Do you know?” She demanded, cutting me off.

“No.” I growled.

“Exactly.”

“It doesn’t matter, she let me get taken. She doesn’t have a heart.”

She slapped me, “You’re the one that doesn’t have a heart.”

Grace had slapped me before, but it was something about her words and her slap that made me go over the edge. My hand wheeled out and backhanded her across the face. She flew to the ground. By the time I realized what I was doing my hand was already on her skin, it was too late to take it back. I stepped back a few feet, appalled by what I had done; I backed up until my back was against the wall. I stared wide-eyed at Grace. One hand was supporting her body; the other was on her cheek. Charles was over her in half a second, “Grace, are you alright?” He asked worried.

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. It had been a long time since I had hurt someone and lost control of my power like that. It had brought me back to reality, I was still determined to kill J, but Grace had nothing to do with it. I opened my mouth again, “I’m…so sorry…”

Charles stood and spun on his feet to face me, “Get out…you monster.” He pointed to the door.

I stood for a moment, not comprehending, and then I understood, he was afraid of me. Even though he had known about my power, about what I was, he now understood what people were afraid of, “I stumbled to the door, picking up my cloak and bag as I went. I opened the door, and turned to look at Grace and Charles. He pointed to the door again, and I looked at Grace. Tears streamed down her face, but I forced myself to look. There running down the side of her face, were three long gashes….gashes that I had inflicted upon her, gashes that I would carry the rest of my life. I walked into the cold snowy night, and never looked back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yea...this is a pretty darn good chapter, evil, but goooood.

Comments! ^_^

_CORRI_