The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 4

We hit the main dirt road after an hour, my foot was feeling better and I stayed to the left side of her horse. “What’s our plan?” I asked.

“Our plan?” She asked raising an eyebrow, “My plan is to get a passage on a ship to the mainland. There isn’t anything on this rotting island worth my time anymore.”
“So why did you come in the first place?” I asked.

She looked at me, “Gold. I was told that there was gold, instead there was you. A whole lot you’d be worth.” She spat, “The person who fed me those pack of lies is going to find themselves being fed with a spoon for the next year. ” She growled.

“So if you came for gold why did you help me escape?” I asked
.
She shrugged, “Why not?”

“You could have gone out the window and saved yourself from the risk of being caught.” I pointed out.

“I nearly died getting up the tower wall with the wind. You really think going down would have been any better?”

“I suppose not.” I looked forward down the dark road; the wind was just a light breeze here.

“You just happened to be at the right place at the right time.”

“So you rescued me because it was a convenience?”

“No. I could have left you, and that would have been a convenience.”

I frowned, “Then why did you save me?” She didn’t answer, instead she kicked her horse into a trot leaving me further behind with each step. I sighed and picked up into a jog so I wouldn’t be left behind.

~ ~ ~ ~

By the next morning, my feet were bloody and sore. The rocks dug into my bare feet and I could hardly walk. “Here you can ride…my legs are killing me from sitting in the saddle.” She stopped to the side of the round and dismounted. Handing me the reigns as she stretched and cracked her back; she was still dressed in all black.

“Feeling sorry for me?” I asked sliding into the saddle, I kept my feet out of the stirrups.

“No.” She said it in such a way that I believed her. The wind had picked up again sometime during the night, and I was cold. My plain woolen shirt and breeches were ripped and thin. We had found a place to sleep for a few hours under a large pine tree, I had curled up into a ball, but even then, I shivered and hardly got any sleep.

She held up her hand and the horse stopped without me even pulling back on the reigns. I stayed silent, she focused down the road, then pointed off to my right and jogged into the woods. The horse followed, I leaned down against the saddle to miss low branches. Soon I heard the cries of seagulls and the shouts of dock masters and the smell of fish. The trees became further apart and soon I could see the shore and a town close by.

I slid off the horse and came up by a tree where she was crouched surveying the scene, “Why don’t we go?” I asked. She didn’t answer me. I looked away from her and watched the town. Women in dresses, children with toy swords, a men carrying crates and fishing nets bustled around the lively town. For its small size, there were plenty of people. Then I saw them, guards from the prison. There were six of them, stopping and holding a sketch of myself into people’s faces. People shook their heads and continued with their business.

“How did you know they were there?” I asked her.

She shrugged, “Instinct. This is harder than I expected.”

“What are we going to do now? And how did they get here before us?” I said frustrated.

“Well I’m going to get on a ship. And I assume they rode hard through the night and passed us while we were sleeping. Good luck.” She stood up to leave.

“You’re leaving me?” I asked. She raised an eyebrow, “Listen I’ve already stuck my neck out for you, I’m not doing it a second time, part of me wants to ask if there is a reward the other half is telling me just to leave while I still can.” She took the reins, “Good luck.” Then she walked into town, leaving me behind with nothing but the clothes on my back.

I looked over the ocean; it was a two-day journey on ship to get to the mainland. I could easily fly that distance…I just refused to do it. Not since what happened last time I had tried. I watched the guards, and then when they weren’t looking I made a run for the nearest building and ducked behind some crates.

“You there boy!” I jumped and spun, a large man set down a crate, “Steeling are we?” He put his hands on his hips.

“No sir.” I said standing straight. He looked me up and down.

“You look horrible son. Now off with you before I call the guard.” I dipped my head and scurried off down the dirt path that led to the docks and in-between houses. The guards from the prison had gone into a tavern. I saw a merchants store and ran inside. A bell above the door jingled. “How can I help you?” The man was older with graying hair and a black apron.

I stood up, “I was wondering if you had any clothes to give away? Anything at all.” I said looking down at my current state. The man laughed then stopped abruptly, “Stop wasting my time. Now get out of my shop!” I left. This wasn’t getting me anywhere, I had no choice, I would have to sneak onboard a ship. Once outside I looked towards the docks where five ships were anchored and swaying with waves. It wouldn’t be easy. I kept my head down as I walked down the street, the dirt and mud covered my soar feet, only making them sting.

“Halt!” A voice rang out down the street. I ignored it, praying that they were calling for someone else.

“YOU THERE, I SAID HALT!” The voice roared and I heard horse’s hooves. I looked up, three guards were approaching me on horses, I stopped and began to turn; the other three guards were coming from the other direction. I paused, if I transformed now I could fly to another port and sneak aboard another ship. But there would be no guarantee that there weren’t guards at all the ports. My heart pounded.

The guards stopped and came from front and behind. One of them spoke to me, “Your under arrest.” He said, “Take him.” People had stopped to watch with wide eyes, mothers took their children and hurried them up the street. Five of the six guards took cautious steps towards me. I crouched about to turn when a black blur jumped in front of me. It was her again.

“You will get back on your horses, and you will ride back to your prison. You will tell your commander that you found him dead and burned the body.” She spoke calmly. She didn’t blink, she simply stared.

The guards stood frozen, blinked a few times then returned to their mounts and galloped out of town. “All of you will forget what just happened here and go about your business.” The people did so. Then in a blink of an eye she collapsed down onto her knees and clutched her forehead, I dropped to her side, “Are you alright?” I asked.

“Fine.” She said gritting her teeth, “Just a headache. I got a room at the inn, take me there.” I helped her to her feet and guided her to the Inn. I pushed the door aside, there were a few early morning drinkers around the tables, and the innkeeper looked up. “What’s happened?” He asked with a frown, “Did she get into trouble already? I won’t have trouble in my Inn.” He said.

“No trouble.” I said, “She’s hit her head, can you help me to her room?” The innkeeper led me up the stairs, opened the door with a set of keys, and swung it inward. Once inside I closed the door with my foot, led her to the bed, and set her down. “Shut the curtains.” She said quietly. The room became much darker. I dipped the rag into the basin of water on the stand next to the bed, squeezed the access water out, and put it on her forehead, “Thanks.” She mumbled.

“I thought you said you weren’t going to help me anymore.” I said quietly and I added a log to the fireplace and sat down on the one chair.
“I guess I lied.” She whispered. I remained quiet, I noted her saddlebags in the corner of the room, along with her tack. I sat back and let out a slow breath. My exhaustion hit me near the warm fire and I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woot Woot another chapter. I'm loving this story. really I am.
= D
_CORRI_