The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 40

Image

I stumbled through the snow, the cloak wrapped tightly around my body, and the hood keeping most the wind off my face. I didn’t even watch were I went, the dark night and snow made everything look the same, and to be honest, I didn’t care where I went. I just needed to get away, to escape. The sorrow and anger I felt bubbled like hot magma in the core of my stomach. It made me sick a few times until everything I had to eat was out of my system.

All I could see was Grace’s tears and gashes running down her face. She didn’t deserve what I had done to her, sure she slapped me, but she was young, she didn’t know how to control her emotions. Grace had only ever been kind to me, she had healed me, and now she would carry the scars the rest of her life.

I eventually collapsed in the middle of the woods between a few evergreen trees. The wind blew less and I was able to curl into a ball and keep some heat. I closed my eyes, but sleep didn’t come until late at night. Even then, it was a fitful sleep. I kept waking up shivering, my dreams were of me losing my temper and hurting people, and sometimes I even dreamed about a few years earlier.

When morning finally came, I found that it had stopped snowing. The sun reflected of the packed snow, but the wind was still blowing hard. It was a merciless wind; it found its way between cracks of clothing and crawled down the back of my neck. I shivered, as I walked, trying to stay warm as best as I could.

After a few hours, I found myself back at the village. I had gone in a complete circle. I stood on the boundary of the small town, smoke poured from the chimneys, and to my surprise there were still a bit of people out walking the streets. I shivered violently a few times and stomped my feet. My hands were stuffed under my cloak. I stood there for a few minutes, unsure what to do. Should I turn around and leave? Or should I get some food?

My stomach growled, but I still didn’t budge. Something was keeping me locked in place, as if my instincts were telling me to just wait. So wait I did, twenty minutes passed, my feet started to get cold, but I remained standing as the wind blew and smoke from the houses shifted in my direction, lifting the aroma of home cooked meals into my nose. It started to snow again, and it collected on my shoulders and hood.

Finally, I noticed something. From the other end of the village, I spotted a group of soldiers, dressed warmly for the winter weather and marching in formation. I started to walk forward into town, I realized now that they were headed back towards the barracks, which had been the direction I had been heading towards last night. As the group past I stepped out of the way, the hood of my cloak covered my face; they didn’t even give me a second glance. It was then I noticed that they were walking in formation, but not a marching formation, no they were walking in an escort formation.

I glanced between two soldiers as they passed to see who they were escorting, and my stomach churned when I did, “Oh no.” I whispered from under my cloak. Grace and Charles were being led to the barracks; Grace had a hand covering half her face, and a cloak over her shoulders. Charles was stumbling alongside her; some blood was running down his cheek.

I stood stone still in the snow, watching them go up the street, my heart was twisting in my chest, and I held the beast at bay. There was only one reason that they would take grace, they must know that they helped me. The gashes on her face would easily give that away, they would be tortured for information, and they would not believe I had left without telling them something.

What am I to do? I clenched my hands into fists, I needed J and I hated admitting that. She would know what to do, she could even order the men to leave and forget everything. It would be simple for her, but I didn’t have that luxury, I only had my power and it wasn’t exactly subtle.

I kicked some snow, sent it flying into the air, and cursed under my breath, “Think Asher.” I growled to myself, “THINK.” I closed my eyes and thought about everything I had seen J do, but nothing helped me. J had more brains than I did, she was right, again. Just thinking about her made my blood boil, but I needed help. I needed a strategy. If I barged in after Grace and Charles it wouldn’t help anyone, then it occurred to me. “Think again.” I smacked my forehead and looked around, the villagers were mainly staying indoors, so I wouldn’t be spotted, and the clouds and snow would give me good cover. I ran to the lining woods and dropped my pack and anything that wouldn’t let me change. It frustrated me that I couldn’t change with metal, it held me back, but clothes just morphed into my skin and added protection under my natural armored dragon skin.

I hid the pack near a twisted tree that I would be able to find easily, and then walked back outside the tree line. I looked around one last time, to make sure no one was watching then closed my eyes. I had to keep my focus, changing into my other form was easy enough. It was controlling it that was the problem. Not just my temper but also my size. It was easy to change to my fullest capable size. Remaining small was the problem. I focused on my power, then released.

I kept most of it at bay until I was only about the size of a pony and stopped the flow of power. It would be easier to mount a surprise attack by remaining a smaller size, I was still deadly, and my skin was still ten times harder than any armor, but I was harder to see. I would be mistaken for a bird at a higher height. I jumped into the air, stretching out my smaller wings and taking large strokes. The wind blew against me and I had to constantly beat my wings to move in the direction I wanted to. Soon I was just under the clouds, the snow made it near impossible to see so I had to use energy to strengthen my eye sight. I passed over the soldiers that were taking Grace and Charles. I circled a few times and then used the wind to fall into a spiraling dive.

I tipped up, then pressed my wings against my body and fell. Plummeting towards earth at an incredible speed, then I opened my wings at the last moment. I flew horizontal to the ground, then my feet touched and I ran, keeping my wings spread wide. I was flying and running at once, the soldiers didn’t even see me. I plowed through two men and jumped into the air once more, disappearing into the snow and out of sight.

I circled above them as they panicked and formed a tighter formation, stopping altogether. They held out their swords, the wounded laying the snow, crying out in pain before dying. Grace looked around for the attackers, she even looked up, but I was too small to be spotted in the snow this high. I attacked again, this time I descended at a greater angle, taking only one man out, then shot straight upward, forming a steep V. Only three soldiers remained. Charles was on his knees in the snow. Grace was healing him from the wound the soldiers had given him.

I dove again this time releasing the rest of my power as I did, I grew as I dove until I was at full size and I landed on two men, the third dropped his sword and fell to the ground, I heard his heart explode. I looked up at Grace and Charles, and then turned to leave. “Wait.”

I looked over my shoulder. Grace stepped forward. A single scar ran down her face, and I tilted my head, looking at it. She touched her fingers to her face and ran her hand down the scar, “I healed myself.” She said softly, “But I left one scar.” She looked down, “I’m sorry Asher. I was stupid. I knew better than to anger you, I knew what you were capable of, but I was blind. I wanted you to see reason, and I needed you to understand. It’s not your fault.”

“Grace.” Charles said sternly, but made no move to stop her.

Grace ignored him, “I’m keeping this scar as a reminder.” She told me, her curly hair collecting snow quickly, “A reminder for both of us to remember who we are, and what we are capable of.”

I let go of my power and turned back into a human. I stood a moment, catching my breath then reached out and hugged Grace, she hugged back, “Thank you.” I told her.

She nodded, “You’re stupid Asher, but I know you’ll see it.”

“You have a lot to learn, but you are still young.” She nodded her head, and I looked at Charles, “I can’t ask you to forgive me, but I hope you won’t fear me. I never wanted to hurt anyone, but sometimes…I lose control.”

Charles shook his head, “I can’t fear you Asher.” He shook my hand, “God speed.” I nodded my head, backed a good distance away, closed my eyes, and transformed into my full size. I stood in the road a moment then jumped into the air.

“Say hello to J for us.” Grace called before I was lost in the snow and wind. I shook my head, I made quick time back to where I hid me pack. The wind pushed me faster than I could normally fly. I grabbed my bag with my large talons, jumped back into the air, and ascended until I was above the clouds. The sun was bright and the wind was fierce. I didn’t need my sense of smell anymore so I went as high as I could to travel the greatest distance. The thin air took a while to get used to, but my lungs were made for it. Soon I the sun warmed my skin and the heat inside of me kept me warm as well.

After a few hours the clouds below me started to thin, and soon I could see the ground far below. From here, the rivers looked like tiny streams. Houses looked like fake dollhouse with smoke pouring out of them. Everything looked so insignificant. I flew late into the night; until I was low on energy then I slowly descended and hunted for game.

I found a cow from a large herd and took it far away to eat. After I was content, I found a barn to sleep in. I would be gone before the owners knew I was there, but I still hid deep in the hay, just in case. Soon my limbs warmed again and I drifted into a comfortable sleep. Knowing that I would be able to find J once I found who I was looking for.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY UPDATE!!!!!! ^_^ Thanks for the banner that's dynamite ! !!!!! It made my day.

Comments would be loved, all that stuff.

_CORRI_