The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 43

The sun was just peeking over the horizon when I finally reached the southern gate. The guards didn’t give me a second glance as I left the city. I headed down the road and spotted Kegan. He rode buckskin colored horse; its legs were stocky and built for running long distances. Its neck was not proportioned to its body and it had scars all over. In short, it was a very unpleasant looking horse.

“You’re late.” He said once I was in earshot.

“I’m not, and you’ll do well to leave your attitude. We don’t have room for it.” He grunted and kept the horses at a brisk walk, a pace they could relatively keep all day. “What is the plan anyway?”

“We return to the place you saw J last, and from there we hunt her down.” He said simply.

“If its speed we want then we should fly.” I said simply, “I could get us there in half the time, if not less. We find a hidden place, leave the horses and pack our things. I can even carry you.”
Kegan shook his head, “You’re too easy to spot in dragon form and J would expect you to come after her that way. We keep with the horses.” We were silent. After all, there wasn’t a lot we could discuss, we were enemies, united for a common cause only.

After hours of riding, Kegan finally started to teach me the simple ways of creating a mind barricade. “Any idiot can do it, power or no. Granted you won’t be able to block against someone like J when she really wants to get in your mind, but this way at lease, you have some protection. This way, she won’t be able to see you coming.”

He forced me to do exercises, focus on the mane of horse, nothing else. Then we would push his way into my mind. After an hour of doing this, I was sweating and a dull headache threatened. I didn’t stop, I only had so much time to perfect how to block my mind, I didn’t have the luxury of being comfortable.

Kegan pressed the horses on. His was in better shape than mine was; Jeremy had fed my horse much and exercised it little. The road was packed down with crisp snow and sun was magnified by it. But under the cover of the trees it was immensely cooler and less bright. Our breaths swirled out in wisps of smoke. My nose felt frozen as well.

“I hate winter.” I muttered, deciding to take a break, the sun wasn’t helping my headache.

Kegan shrugged, “I do prefer warmer weather, but I suppose the snow isn’t horrible. You only hate it because it dulls your senses.”

I leaned on my saddle, letting the reigns rest on the horse’s neck. “Only my sense of smell.” I corrected, and he shrugged.

“So tell me Asher, how did you escape the bounty hunters?” He asked.

“I don’t feel like telling stories.” I replied coolly.

He shrugged, “It was just a question and I’m simply curious. After all, they were sent after you specifically.”

I sat up, Kegan didn’t look at me, “You lie.” I said, “They were after both J and I.”
Kegan shook his head, “Incorrect. I’m going to let you in on a little secret, since it’s not really a secret anymore, and you don’t have to worry about them while we are a team.” He waved his hand, “The bounty hunters are on my side, I work for people, I won’t share that with you because that isn’t important at the moment. What you should know is that we’ve been after you as well Asher.” His voice was low and serious, something about it made a shiver run down my spine, “We knew that the humans arrested you and had you contained in one of their best prisons, we knew it would take an army to get you out of there…that or one special person.” Kegan gave me a side sly smile, “So we found the man she trusted her life to, Jeremy. Well I found him really, without me; none of this would have been possible. I broke into his mind, so when J came along, he gave her the information I wanted her to hear.”

Kegan stretched and took a deep breath, obviously proud of himself for this accomplishment, “I led her straight to you.” He stated, “I made her think that there was a large profit to be made. She was got you out of prison, which was all a part of the plan. Of course, she wasn’t supposed to pity you and take you under her wing.” He said frustrated, “So that put a damper on things. Once you reached the mainland, they were going to catch you and bring you in. J always has a way of messing things up.” Kegan stared down the road for a little bit then turned to me, “Well, for now you’re safe. Even though I would love nothing more than to apprehend you, I made a deal. J is more important, but don’t worry, you haven’t been forgotten.” Kegan promised and we were silent again.

I pulled my horse back just a couple of feet, so I could think in privacy without Kegan watching my every facial expressions. My forehead wrinkled as I thought. Everything that had happen in the past months happened because of Kegan and the cult. My life had been in danger the entire time, and I hadn’t even known it. I looked at Kegan; he was looking ahead, humming to himself. No matter what though, I couldn’t make myself regret it, it had all been worth it. Freedom was worth it, just to fly again.

Something pushed itself into my mind and I realized something. Kegan thought I only knew about the bounty hunters, he wanted me to wonder about who he worked for. He was waiting for me to ask questions. I grinned to myself, J had told me though. I didn’t need to ask. I also realized that Kegan had told me a lot of information, that story told me everything. He liked to boast, it was a weakness, if I played dumb, and act as if I don’t know a thing I could get him to spill seemingly simple yet important information. Things I could us against him and J. I took a deep breath of cool fresh air, and let a smile some to my lips. My day was looking brighter. Already I hated winter less.

~ ~ ~ ~

We camped in the woods that night under a tall pine. It was warm once we built a fire and piled the snow around us so we were hidden underneath its branches. The horses stood nearby, shoulder to shoulder keeping warm and munching on any green foliage they found. I gave my horse a small ration of grain that I kept in a separate sack.

I sniffed and held my hands out near the fire to get the stiffness from them. Kegan cooked our food. Talk was little between us, my head still pounded from the days prodding. “So tell me something.” I asked Kegan.

He looked at me, savoring his hot food. “What’s that?”

“What’s J’s real name?” I asked him.

He stared at the fire, and didn’t meet my eyes and he kept eating. I waited for an answer, I expected him to have an excuse, but instead he shocked me, “I don’t know.”

“How do you not know?” I asked him, frustrated. I wanted to know.

“Do you know her name?” He asked me back, venom in his voice.

“No, but I thought you would.”

He snorted, “There are very few who know her name, and if I have heard it before, then J probably wiped it from my mind anyway.”

“Why does she hide her identity so much?” I asked him.

He shrugged, “Everything is a mystery with her, trust me.” He said finishing his food. Then he laid out on his mat and pulled his blanket over him. I finished my own meal and added a few more logs to the fire and followed Kegan’s lead and got some sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, sorry. Hoped you liked it.

GO check out my friends stories here. Giver her some love because she is amazing, and she also encourages me with writing. = ) So yea. Be nice ok?
Comments.
_CORRI_