The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 47

It seemed like it took forever when we finally came upon the great mountains. It was a clear winter day. The wind and snow had finally died down for a spell and we were able to see for miles as the forests gave way to miles of farms. In the distance, the great mountains loomed like rock giants. There snowy caps shined like a beacon to any traveler. They stretch forever in either direction. I let out a whistle.

“Breath taking.” I said to Kegan. He nodded but said nothing in return. The past few towns had actually seen J. I guess she had decided that she didn’t need to cover her tracks anymore. Why should she? As far as she knew, I was back in prison on the long island. She would never suspect Kegan and I to become a team. Who would?

The great city was a little east of where we were currently. Kegan guessed that was where J was headed, I wasn’t so sure. “Why would she go there? Is there any reason to? Does she have friends? Family?” I asked Kegan. We were coming upon the crossroads in a mile. I was still convinced we should head west instead of east.

“Not that we are aware of.” He told me, “Why wouldn’t she go to the big city? There is nothing else around here, and there is no other destination unless she plans to go to the sea. It’s the middle of winter, she is most likely going to find a safe place to settle down for winter. Some place new and far away. The southern capital is just that sort of place.”

I looked away. When we turned right at the cross roads I was in heavy disagreement, I kept tugging at the reigns, tempted to pull around and go the opposite direction. I didn’t care if Kegan was a Brain, every fiber of my being was telling me to go the other way. My horse felt my concern and nickered. I put a hand on his neck to quiet him. It took us a good half of the day to reach the capital city. It was the second largest capital and it was located at the base of the mountains.

Towns and villages were located outside its walls and surrounding areas, I felt crowded before we even reached the city. What bothered me more was that there was no scent of J. Anywhere. We stopped at multiple buildings but I smelled nothing. When I asked Kegan if he saw anything, he shook his head and told me that there were many people to search through. It would take time.

I gritted my teeth. I didn’t have time. We were closing in on J; I couldn’t take the risk that she wasn’t in the city. It would take weeks, if not months to find her even if she was. If she wasn’t, then we would have wasted all that time for nothing. She would be long gone and we would have to start the search all over.

It took most of the afternoon to get permits that allowed us to enter and leave the city without needing to be stopped every single time. Kegan knew of a good inn that would give us good rates and we unsaddled the horses and put them in the stable. “It will be easier if we split up.” Kegan said as he brushed down his horse, “There are a lot of places J could be hiding. She won’t be able to erase everyone’s minds and she won’t be able to pick your mind out of a large crowd. So we split up, you try to find her scent, ask around, and get any information you can. I’ll keep searching as well. I’ll scan memories to see if they have seen J anywhere.” I simply nodded my head, she wasn’t here. I knew she wasn’t here. I could feel it in my heart. J would never come to this large city unless she was desperate. “Asher?” Kegan asked. I looked up.

“What?” I asked annoyed.

“Do you understand your part?”

I nodded, “Yes, I understand.” He nodded and led his horse to the stall and then left. I lingered behind, doing a more detailed brush down of my horse. The stallion blew through his nose, clearly relaxed. Just for the heck of it, I took in the scents of the barn. There was nothing of interest. It was all horses and manure.

I remained at the Inn. Kegan was nowhere to be found. At least I would see less and less of him. I ate dinner alone, and then went to my room. They were small rooms, meant for sleeping not living. However, at the rate we were getting them for I could not complain.

I lay on my bed for a long time, but I could not sleep. I didn’t even feel tired. It felt wrong to lay down. It felt wrong to be in this city. I closed my eyes. It took me a long time to drift into a sleep but once I did I dreamed a very hazy dream and jerked awake. I hadn’t even slept an hour. I got out of bed, threw the covers off me and grabbed my boots. I took all of my things and headed for the stable. Kegan wasn’t around so I saddled my horse quickly. I made sure I had the permit nearby and then walked out of the stable yard and into the street.

Even in the early evening, the streets were crowded with people. I tugged at the reigns and walked most of the way back to the gates. I constantly check over my shoulder for Kegan. I sniffed the air, and kept my ears open as well. There were no signs of him. I was relieved.

If he caught me now I was sure he wouldn’t let me go without a fight. I always imagined that the day Kegan and I parted that there would be an epic battle. I imagined that there would be fowl words between us as well. Yet here I was, slipping away like a thief in the night, afraid to be caught. The guards paid me little attention when I rode from the city. I didn’t even need the permit.

The moon was just rising above the trees in all its glory. The snow illuminated the land and I was able to see everything around me clearly without using my power. Luckily, the roads closest to the city were packed down from all the people, horses, and wagons. I was able to travel at a quick pace away from the city. Once out of the crowded areas I urged the horse into a trot.

The horse blew great smokes into the cold air; he seemed just as awake as I did. With the road less crowded and with a quick pace I was able to reach the cross road quickly. I look a sharp right. I grinned. Kegan wasn’t here, I didn’t have to deal with him anymore. I knew how to block my mind, and I was going after J. She was close. I could feel it.

The excitement soon wore off however. The night was cold and soon the roads were less packed down and the horse was slower with his steps. I shivered madly underneath my cloak. I wished the moon gave off heat like the sun.

It was very late when I finally reached a town. Everything was locked up for the night and its inhabitants were asleep. I was forced to knock on the inn’s door, waking up the innkeeper. He was angry at first, but when I paid him, he seemed less grumpy.

“You’ll have to tend to your own horse.” He said, “The stables out back.” I nodded and went to where he motioned.

“I promise, you can sleep now.” I told the horse then walked inside. The innkeeper showed me to me room and I collapsed onto the bed exhausted. Yet, I still felt better than I had in a long while. I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOOHOO! Asher is finally on a mission without the horrible Kegan. Don't be fooled however, we haven't seen the last of Kegan. So the next two chapters are pretty much going to be awesome, actually, from here on out the story is going to be awesome ^__^ Any guesses as to where this story is headed? Love to hear them!

_CORRI_