The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 55

“Wake up.” A boot kicked my butt. I moaned and rolled over. “Wake up Asher or so help me I will roll you into the fire.”

I slowly pulled the blanket from over my head and peaked over the rim. J stood over me, she was clad in her think traveling cloak and was rimmed with dark fur and her hood was pulled back. The fire was crackling lively and the horses were flicking their tails and munching on some greenery from the tree. I blinked at the morning light and yawned. “What do you want?”

She rolled her eyes, “It’s time we got moving, so pack up your things and let’s be off. I’m leaving with or without you.” She walked away to get the horses ready and I ran a hand down my tired face and heavy eyes and yawned again. I rubbed my hand through my hair and sat up. The cold bit at my face and shiver ran down my spine, causing my body to shake. I slipped out of the bedroll and crouched near the fire until I began to grow accustomed to the cold.

I noticed the remains of a rabbit, I picked up the skewered meat and frowned. My stomach rumbled and I felt my energy already being sucked out of my body. I needed more than some rabbit meat to sustain me. I tossed the meat into the fire. I stood up, stretched my hands far above me, and cracked my back. I packed up my things, and took everything over to my horse.

“I’m going to go get myself some food…I’m going to need something large to keep me going.” J let out a sigh, “I’m not waiting for you. Catch up. I’ll take your horse.” I nodded my head and left the campsite, determined not to waste any time.

I went back to sight I had found the night before and burst forward in a fury of wings and talons. I shot into the sky faster than an arrow. I used the currents to gain speed and took in all the smells around me. There were only two man smells in the air, pine and snow. I flew around for a quarter of an hour, searching for a deer or other large prey. But there was nothing in the air and I feared that my scent and noise would scare of anything worth catching. I growled with frustration and rose a little higher.

I scanned the surrounding area. The forests seemed to stretch for eternity, and then there were the southern mountains. An idea came to mind and I turned south and picked up speed. It took me little time to reach the mountain range. I landed on an outcropping of rock that overlooked a valley below, the sight from this high up was still breathtaking, even when I had been to far higher heights. I took in the scent of the mountain. I breathed deep and soon I stumbled upon the musky damp scent that I searched for.

I focused hard and forced myself to shrink down so I could fit myself into the cave. My eyes instantly adjusted to the darkness so I could see as clear as day. The smell nearly overwhelmed my nose but soon the cave began to warm and then I came upon exactly what I needed. A bear was deep in the stupor of sleep for the winter months, its body rose and fell.

I felt almost guilty, killing an unaware meal, but I need something large to sustain me for a while, and this was perfect. I killed the beast swiftly and painlessly. I tore of the fur off then feasted. It ate efficiently. I didn’t want to leave J on her own for too long.

I ate until I was entirely full, almost too full. I made my way back out of the cave and grew back to full size. I stretched my wings and noted that dark clouds were in the distance, the wind was carrying them towards us. I had no doubt that there would be some heave snow before evening. I took off and made my way back. I found the old campsite, and then followed the road. It wasn’t a quarter of a mile when I came upon J. She stopped the horses as I landed carefully in front of her.

“Well come on, we don’t have all day.” She waved her hand impatiently, but I shook my head mischievously. J pushed back the hood from her face, “Asher, we don’t have time to play around, the snow has started to pack and its harder on the horses today, I’d rather not delay…”

I flicked my tail and shrunk down to the size of the horses and a little bigger. I turned around on the spot, drove my tail into the snow behind me and started walking. I went about fifty feet, then turned and motioned wordlessly for J to follow. She let out a sigh, “And you really don’t think someone will notice the rather large path, even with you a smaller size the path is larger than the horses…”

I rolled my eyes, “There’s a huge storm brewing in the distance J. It will cover the tracks, now hurry along, we haven’t time to waste.” I grinned and continued to walk. J’s face was emotionless, and then she grinned, pulled her hood over her head, and urged the horses forward.

The way was far easier than I would have expected. My stomach felt sluggishly full starting out, but after a while it began to burn the food and use it as energy. My legs and talons broke the snow and main trail, while my tail dragged behind and made a more packed path for the horses to walk on.

J switched off horses every hour, and sometimes she walked and led them. Even though the way was easier, the horses were still tired from the day before and it was less stressful for them this way. J seemed pleased with the pace and speed at which we were traveling. She informed me that she would keep her mind open so we would know if there were any travelers behind or ahead of us. That way I would have time to change back into a human.

We stopped shortly for lunch to rest the horses. I changed back into a human, sat under a tree with J, and ate quickly. I never had any problems staying warm in my Beast form; in weather like this, I actually preferred it. After lunch, I stepped back into the road and J led the horses back onto the path. Her face was deep under in her hood but I could still see it with my powerful eyes. Her cheeks and nose were red and she was shivering.

I put my nose in the air took in a deep breath. The temperature was dropping, which meant the storm was only a few hours out. I bent down and nudged J with the tip of my snout. “Get on.” I lowered my body. He held onto the horses reigns but didn’t make a move to get on, “My body heat will keep you warm and it will allow the horses for some rest. Tie their reigns to the saddle, they will follow, you know they will.” She considered the idea a moment then she did as I suggested. The promise of heat was too great a temptation.

She climbed onto my back and sat at the base of my neck, the same place she had stayed when I had pulled her from the ocean so long ago. It amazed me how things have changed. I pushed through the snow again and the horses followed without hesitation. They seemed a little more positive about their footing without J on their backs or the extra weight.

I felt J’s cold hands on my skin as she warmed them and soon he was resting her face against my neck as well. It felt good having her on my back. I felt as though I could protect her from anything. I felt powerful. J soon drifted to sleep after she warmed up a bit. I didn’t bother to wake her, there wouldn’t be any travelers that could sneak up on me with my hearing, and the storm would hit soon. I would be forced to get off the road and find a safe place for us to camp. But for now, I remained silent and allowed J a few moments of peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shortish chapter, but I'm really just trying to get the fun part now. = ) Its going to start picking up pace real soon, and I'm excited. = D

Comments? Maybe a banner?
_CORRI_