The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 6

I woke up on the floor, where I had fallen asleep the night before. I had slept in a hard bed for two years, the floor felt no different. I got up slowly and looked around, the sunlight was pouring through the window, and she was gone. I looked around and spotted a note:

Don’t leave the grounds of this Inn. I’m out getting supplies. They will feed you if you’re hungry.

I threw the note into the fire and went downstairs. I was famished, I sat down and they served me food, I ate every crumb. I wondered if I would ever get used to eating real food again. I went out the back door to the small stable yard. I loved horses. My father had cherished his prized bloodline and showed it off often. I knew a good horse when I saw it.

The stable boy was brushing down a slim long legged horse that was blacker than night. He was munching on the oats in front of him and the boy was wetting him down with a rag to wash out the mud. I walked up and patted the horses’ neck, “Beautiful horse.” I commented, the stable boy nodded and continued his work, “Do you mind if I…?” I asked, motioning to the horse.

He shook his head, “Sorry.”

“I’ll let you have any coin that they offered to pay you. I just want something to do to keep me busy. Trust me, I’ll have him so clean you’ll see your reflection.” The boy hesitated then shrugged, dropping the rag into the bucket and headed for the barn, picking up a pitchfork as he did.

I dipped the rag into the bucket and let the water run of the horses back and began to scrub out the patches of mud and dirt. Once clean of mud I took a brush, brushing off any excess hair and dust. I combed out his main and tail, trimmed them so they flowed evenly. Grabbed a pick and dug out any rocks and mud that had built up under the hooves. I then grabbed a handful of straw and rubbed him down, brining out his natural oil so he would shine. I took a step back.

This horse was a magnificent beast, one that my father would have gladly taken under his roof. The neck was in proportion to his body and long legs. I wondered what bloodline it had come from, such a stallion wouldn’t be cheap. The stable boy looked at the horse, “Wow.” He said simply. I winked.

“Yes wow indeed.” I turned, she was standing with her arms folded. She looked to the stable hand, “I suppose you were going to trick me and make me pay you?” She asked. The boy dipped his head, he didn’t say a word. “Hmm.” She said, “Here, I better find him tacked and ready to go before I get back.” She tossed him a silver coin. He grinned, gave a small bow, and ran back to the barn.

“That’s your stallion?” I asked surprised. She nodded, and I frowned, “That is not the same beast I saw you ride, or the one I rode for that matter.”

She grinned, “It is actually. He was just dirty, you must have not noticed him.”

I frowned, “No, I specifically remember looking over your horse. It had had good legs but other than that it wasn’t anything special, this beast.” I stuck my thumb over my shoulder, “Is gorgeous.”

She shrugged, “Maybe you were tired, now come on. We need to leave soon.” I dropped the subject for the time being and followed her up the stairs. She gave me a pack with supplies for me to carry and then took her bags and swung them over her shoulder and headed down to the stable yard once more.

The horse was there, saddled and still looking great. She swung the saddle bags over the back of the saddle, buckled them down securely, took up the reigns and headed down the path that led to the street. The pack was heavy over my shoulder, but I didn’t complain. I had once been muscular and in shape, but after two years of starving in a prison my once muscled body had weakened. I wouldn’t be surprised if an eight year old girl could beat me up. But I had one trick up my sleeve.

“Captain.” She greeted. I jerked back into reality and looked up. The captain she had beaten the night before stood on the dock of the ship yelling orders and threats at his men. He turned, “Ah. Madame.” He said casually, “Glad you could make it.” He looked over at the horse and me.

“The others I told you about.” She said. He nodded his head, “Yes, yes. I remember, I remember. If you’ll get on aboard, our gangplank will hold him.” He said motioning to the horse, “We sail within the hour, IF THESE IMBISILS WILL GET MOVING!” He roared suddenly at his men. He walked off to go yell at a man struggling with a crate.

She tugged at the reigns, stepped onto the gangplank, and walked aboard the ship. I waited until they were off, and then scurried across; I looked at the blue water below, and then stepped aboard. She walked across the deck and tied the horse off, made sure he was secure then took the saddle bags off and placed them over her shoulder. The captain was onboard now, “I’ll show you to your quarters.” He said going below deck. We both followed silently. He showed me my room first, if it could be called a room. A hammock was tied to the walls and there was barely room to stand. I dropped the things to the floor and settled in, then went up top to watch the launch.

I leaned against the rail, watched the sailors scurry over the deck on bare feet, despite being drunk the night before they all seemed to keep their balance, and had no problems with themselves. As the last rope was thrown aboard, I looked up at the captain and who I assumed was his first mate. They were at the wheel.

Slowly but surely we pulled off the dock with the tide. “Lower sails!” The first mate bellowed at the top of his lungs when we were a little ways out, one hand on the wheel the other cupping his mouth. I looked up, the men above untied the ropes and sails dropped heavily. Man aboard the docks heaved the ropes back and the sails tightened and filling with wind.

The salty breeze whipped around my face and I took in a deep breath and enjoyed the sway of the waves. The seagulls remained with us for a time then slowly disappeared; the men were less rushed but still hurried to tie down ropes and other things. I looked out over the ocean, and watched the island disappear, and with it, memories. If I had any choice, I would never return to that island, I would never go back I would go home find my family, find a wife, raise a family, and live my life the way I was meant to in the first place. I closed my eyes. I was a free man.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry Its short, and boring. But there will be exciting stufff coming up!!! xD YA!
Comments and stuff are loved.
_CORRI_