The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 79

We stayed at Graces for as late as we possibly could. Jake said I could sleep and stay at the blacksmiths building. There were quite a few apprentices and helping hands running around that I shouldn’t be asked too many questions. And after we got through with catching up we began to form a plan. Grace would begin to join together those who would be on our side. To let them know that the time to strike could be near, to prepare themselves.

Jake, Gavril and I walked back to where the blacksmiths and the apprentices and hands slept. All of them were men so I felt as though I were blending in better. Jake found me a clean blanket and empty bed in the living quarters and after all the candles were blown out and I stare into the darkness I was finally able to fall asleep.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next four days went by brutally slow. I worked hard in the mornings and afternoons for Jake and Gavril keeping the fires stoked, making sure the metal was where they needed it to be, and making sure everything was in order. The first day I was given a crash course of what I needed to know and after that I just made mistakes and got better. By the time we eat dinner I’m exhausted and ready to go to bed. But I still have training with the sword, hand to hand combat, strategy, different whistles to communicate with others in the dark. They taught us everything, or at least tried to. I was still considered to be the ‘top of the class’ and I got praised more than anyone. When we finished we went to the river to bathe and cool off and then we are finally able to escape and I meet up with the others at Grace’s house.

On the fifth night, that’s when things started going wrong. “And you say things are going well Grace?” I asked her for the fifth time that evening. Gavril laid down on the matt in the corner of the room. Grace gave him something for his head. Unlike me, he wasn’t pretending about having headaches and it worried me to see him so much pain. I know it hurt Grace to, the lines in her forehead increased whenever she looked at him.

“Yes.” She replied, “Everyone seems eager enough to join in whenever it starts. They are scared, but not enough to stay out of it. They want a fighting chance, just like everyone else. But we must be careful; there is a lot of anger in many of these people Asher. We must be sure it does not get fueled to point where we cannot control it. We do not need mass slaughter, we simply need to take control.”

I nodded my head, “I understand, hopefully it won’t come to that. If all goes according to plan I will simply take down David and the others will surrender. Though I feel that it’s a foolish thing to hope for…I still do.”

Grace nods and remains silent. I looked over to Gavril and asked, “So what’s wrong with him?” Jake flashed Grace a look and quickly looked away, I didn’t miss it. Grace sipped at her tea. “Tell me Grace. What’s wrong with Gavril?”

Grace sighed and looked at me. “Promise not to explode with anger?”

“No.” I said seriously, “But you’re still going to tell me.”

She sighed again, “It’s something David has ordered…there are a few people in this camp who are similar to Gavril. Who have learning disabilities or simply have child like thoughts. It’s completely natural, but David see’s is as repulsive, he sees it as a weakness. So once a day Gavril and the others are forced to go before certain Brains to…try to increase their intellect.”

I see Jakes hands squeezed tighter around the mug and his eyes go hard. “What?” I said quietly, not quite believing what I’ve just heard.

“It’s true…”Grace said, “He’s messing with their brains…it’s not helping either, Gavril and the others all suffer from these headaches, I fear that if it continues they could all die. I’ve told David this, and I was struck for speaking against him.” She goes quiet and all I felt is white hot run through my veins and the mug shatters in my hand and the hot tea runs over my hands and onto the floor. I curse and drop the broken pieces.

“Sorry Grace.”

“No…it’s fine. I understand.”

I took a deep breath, “We need to make our move, and quickly. Grace I’m going to follow you to David’s tomorrow so I can scope the place out.” Before she can object I say, “This has to happen either way; I need to know what I’m facing. I’ll come early before its light and I’ll go up into the trees again. That way no one will suspect anything.”

“Alright.” I can tell she isn’t happy but I don’t care. This has to happen and it has to happen soon. I cannot delay.

~ ~ ~ ~

Morning came too quickly. The sun didn’t rise yet when I pulled my body out of the bed. My brain tried to pull me back down to sleep and dream but I had to resist the urge. I got dressed and snuck onto the roof. There in the cool morning I took a deep breath and filled my lungs. I listened and waited and when I was sure the coast was clear I released my power just enough to turn small. I stretched my wings and glide carefully from roof to roof in the darkness. When I finally reached the tree above Grace’s home I turned back into a human to conserve my energy.

When the sun began to rise I had pace along the branch to stay awake and keep an eye out for Grace. Finally when everyone begins to awaken and begin their day Grace came out of her home in her cloak. I turn back into my small form and half glide half hop from branch to branch. She led me away from the main living area where the island juts out into a peninsula shape. It is here that the trees suddenly end and I am forced to watch Grace enter to where David lives. Where J is being held.

The home is just like all the others raised up slightly with a covered porch all around and wax paper sliding doors. But his home is larger, its one story but it makes a U shape with an open courtyard in the middle. I watched Grace walk through the courtyard and take off her shoes before stepping onto the porch. There were guards crawling all over the place and one of them approached her then escorted her. They disappeared into the house.

I turned back into a human again to conserve energy. I hadn’t eaten a whole lot so I knew I had to save what I could. I watched with careful eyes as the sun began to rise further. There was no rhyme or reason to the guards. They simple walked around and kept an eye on things. Which wasn’t useful, you can’t predict something that has no reason. I watch and wait and then Grace came out of the house. But I could tell she was exhausted, that David had drained her, because her walk was slow and less graceful. She put her shoes back on and left the house. I didn’t follow. I wanted to watch this home as much as possible; I needed to know what we were up against.

So I sat, watching, for hours mindful of any snakes that might be nearby as well. After the heat of the day evening began to approach and I decided I would start to make by way back so I could eat dinner with everyone else. I stood up to go when something happened down at the house. I paused.

There were a small group of men and woman walking along one of the porches. And in the center of them, was J being escorted. By breath caught in my throat and without even thinking, I sent my thoughts out to her.

”J!”

It was the worst mistake I could have made. Instantly the members escorting J were alarmed and people started shouting. Guards came running and J started looking around and up in the trees. She couldn’t see me. I cursed. I should have known that David would surround J with other Brains to help contain her. Stupid, stupid, stupid! After a few seconds I decide it would be best to get out while I can, but it’s too late.

“Asher!” A strong voice shouts loudly and everyone else went silent. I watch as three men walk into the courtyard. One of them leads the one that shouted, David. It has to be him. From here I can’t make out much of his features. But I know he’s wearing a sword. “Asher I know you’re out there!” He yells again his voice caring easily. J is still looking around but after a couple of seconds she stops and touches her head like she has a headache. The other brains also look intense; they must be keeping her from reaching out to me. My hands curl into fists.

I don’t know what to do.

“Come down and have a talk Asher…or I start hurting J.” J lets out a yell and low snarl comes out my throat. I don’t have a choice. With another curse I took a step back and jumped out of the tree and change in mid air to my full size. Hell with caution and being subtle. I’m caught; I might as well come full force. I let out a roar and landed in the courtyard. All but David looked a little frightened. I bared my teeth at David and snarl.

He looked me up and down, “Impressive. Very impressive. It’s as all the stories say you really are magnificent. I take it this means that Aaron is dead then? Pity, he was a fine commander. Well change back now Asher, I wish to meet you face to face.”

I let out a deep breath from my nose. I forced the power back and then I stood before David as a human, unarmed and completely at his mercy. I didn’t have any fear. That surprised me. He walked around me sizing me up like an animal then stopped before me again, “Well it’s a pleasure to finally meet you Asher, and my name of course, is David. Honestly couldn’t wait for us to meet. Why don’t you come say hello Jack? I’m sure you’ve missed him.”

Who the hell is Jack? I tried to think if I even met anyone named Jack, but nothing rings a bell.

The small group escorting J step off the porch, J doesn’t look at me. Her eyes are all on David. “Don’t give me that look.” He said to J, “I warned you this would happen.” J is in a white light dress, I’ve never seen her look so girly, or more beautiful. Her hair has started to grow out and it’s been brushed and cleaned and her skin is smooth and glossy. She doesn’t look like a prisoner, but I know better. “Well go one Jack, say hello to Asher.”

Then it hits me. J is Jack. Jack is J. That is J’s real name. And in the intensity of the moment, I can’t help but laugh. J glares at me and David raises his eyebrow, but I don’t care, I’m probably dead anyway so I just let myself get it out. “You’re name is Jack?” I laugh again, “You have a boy’s name!”

“Shut it Asher, now isn’t the time!” J hissed, but her cheeks are red and I know it’s a sore point. So I sober.

“I’m sorry, I just…” I smile at J and she cools off and gives me small smile in return.

“Now you know.” She says softly.

“What’s this?” David looks between us, “Could it be dear sister that you really do care for him? Yes, it is true. I see it in your eyes. Well doesn’t this just keep getting better and better.”

My heart stops and J’s eyes widen and she looks to me. I open my mouth, “What did you just call her?”

David looks at me, “What? Sister? Oh…oh my, this really is just one thing after another isn’t?” David grins cruelly, “Jack didn’t tell you? Of course she didn’t, you didn’t even know her name so why should she have? I am Jack’s older brother dear Asher.” J doesn’t look me in the eye, I can tell she is ashamed. I can’t form any words, I can barely think.

All this time, it wasn’t just fear for her life that kept J away. She knew, she knew that coming here meant that she’d have to kill her own brother. Everything falls into place, I realize that’s why they came after us so hard, it wasn’t just because she was the greatest Brain, they could have killed her a long time ago if it meant her not opposing them, but it was her brother. He was the one who wanted her. He was the one who wanted her to bond to him. I shake my head, it’s too much. All of it.

I look at J even though she won’t meet my eyes, “You told me your family was dead. In your story your brother died.”

“He is dead to me.” J says but still doesn’t look at me.

“Ouch, that hurts sister. But enough of this, Asher.” He looks at me, “I’ve been after you a long time and just like Jack you’ve eluded me but now you are here and now I wish for an answer. Will you join me?”

I spit at his feet. “What do you think?”

“I figured as much. Very well, guards.” The men swarm down upon me and I instinctively struggle. Fists hit me square in the stomach and I lose my breath. They drag me backwards and soon I find that I am chained to a pole in the dusty courtyard. My arms behind me and my body secured. I couldn’t change even if I wanted to now. J is forced to remain where she is as David walks up to me. He comes in close as says quietly, “But I’m going to try to change your mind. We’ll see how you handle dying slow.”
“Go to hell.”

“I probably am.”

With that they leave me. I catch one last fleeting glimpse of J then she is gone. Jack I remind myself, her name is Jack. But even with that knowledge, I know deep down she will always be J to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
WE FINALLY KNOW J'S REAL NAME!!
I bet you weren't expecting her name to be Jack. It came to me a long time ago that she would have a boy name. :D

Anyway, so I'm really working to finish this story up you guys. Like two more chapters and we'll be finished. I'm just so done with this story, I love it, but someday it will be cut in half and rewritten but right now I just want to be done. So sorry if the ending seems rushy or whatever, I'll do my best, but yea...I'm tired.

In other news, I am working on a new story. It's actually an old one, one that used to be posted here but then I took down because it was so horrible. Anyone remember my water bending story? Yea, well I'm totally redoing that one now and I've actually posted the first two chapters on Wattpad. But I will be posting them here also after Beast is done and stuff. But if you want to support me over there one Wattpad, you'd be the bestest in the whole world and I give you virtual hugs!

Thanks for everything guys, this journey is almost to an end.
Wattpad account: http://www.wattpad.com/user/TheDowny

_CORRI_