The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 8

I didn’t know if it was actually true or not but everything that happened in resent events would match her story. The guards that had fallen asleep when we were escaping, I suddenly couldn’t move my legs, how she commanded the guards and turned the people away, and how she beat the sailors at the arm wrestling match. It was a contest of the brain, not of muscle. I tossed around on my hammock, I laid awake for hours. The gentle rocking of the ship would have normal put me to sleep, but my brain was buzzing.

She was a Brain. A powerful person with the ability to manipulate the mind of others, of course there were only rumors, but I strongly believed that she was one of them. There was no other explanation as to how she had done everything else.

I threw the thin blanket from my body and went to the door, not bothering with my boots. I wavered on my feet as I went down the hall, and made my way to her room. I reached up to knock but paused, what was I doing? It was late, and she would be furious for waking her. But I found myself tapping lightly at the door anyways. I hardly tapped, hopping to make myself feel better for trying, without really waking her.

To my great surprise, I heard her from the other side, “Come in.” I hesitated then pushed the door open and closed it behind me.

She looked horrible, she was paler than the moon, and she had dark bags under her eyes. “Umm.” I said.

“Was there something you wanted so late?” She asked weakly.

“Yes.” I said looking around her room. It was larger than mine was, and she had a bed instead of a hammock, there was a desk and a chair with a small rug on the floor. She noticed my wondering eyes and spoke up, “The first mate gave up his room.” She explained, “Now what was it you wanted?”

I took a seat and took a deep breath, “I have a question for you.” I said looking at her. She raised an eyebrow, she was starting at me again, the way she had with the guards, the townsfolk, and the sailors.

“Do I look like a large gray mass?” She asked before I could even ask a question.
“Sorry?” I asked.

“Do I look like a large gray mass between two ears? Do I look like a brain to you?” She asked, “Last time I checked I had flesh and a pumping heart.” My eyes widened.

“How did you know…?”

She smiled slightly, “I guess that answers your question then doesn’t it?” She closed her eyes and rested her head against the wall. She was sitting cross-legged on top of her bed with a blanket around her shoulders.

“So are the stories true? About everything you can do? Are there others like you?” I asked quickly leaning forward in the chair. She held up her hand.

“Silence. You are too quick.” She told me, “The reason I told the story in the first place was to test you, to see if you would catch on. To see if you’d be able to put two and two together.” She said, “Which you did. Yes I am like you in that sense, I am different. Though I am not a Beast type, I am what everyone likes the call a Brain.” She tapped her head, “Because unlike most people, I actually know how to use it.” She winked. My cheeked heated, “I know how to-”

She waved her hand, “-Yes, I know you told me. You know how to read…blah blah blah.” She said absently, “So then Beast. Here we are. What now?” She asked.

I tilted my head, “What do you mean?” I asked.

“Well what do you think I mean? You’re on your way back to the mainland. Will you go home? Start your life over? Go back into hiding? What was your plan for after you escaped?” She asked me.

“I honestly never thought that far.” I admitted.

She nodded her head, “Just as I thought.” She closed her eyes again and grimaced.
“Are you alright?” I asked her, “You look…horrible.”

“Its….it’s the sea.” She told me quietly. She looked like she could be sick at any moment.

“Oh. You don’t like sailing?” I asked her.
She shook her head, “Honestly, no.”

I smiled, “I used to sail all the time with my father. He raised and sold horses, he often rented a crew for his horses to sell them further north. It was faster than riding.” I said with a smiled

“That’s nice.” She said lying down, “I think I’m going to lie down, so if you don’t mind.” She waved to the door.

I nodded, “Sure.” I stood and went to the door and opened it and paused, “Can I ask you something else?” I asked her.

She didn’t open her eyes, “What?”

“What’s your name?” I asked.

Her eyes opened slightly and she looked at me, “Call me J.”

“J?” I asked, “Does it stand for something?” She raised an eyebrow, “Right.” I said, “Sorry. My name is Asher.”

“Nice to meet you Asher.”

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled and left without another word.

~ ~ ~ ~

J didn’t appear on deck at all the next morning, and by the afternoon I was worried. I tried several times to knock on her door, but she turned me away. She never even let the captain or the first mate in. She would simply tell us to go away, and to make sure that her horse was fed and watered. I took care of the horse for her; the sailors were oblivious when it came to animals.

“She’s got a nasty bit of sea sickness.” The captain said coming up to lean against the rail where I was standing, looking out at the ocean. I nodded my head, “I’ve been trying to remember a drink my father used to make for seasickness when I was younger, it always helped me. But I can’t seem to remember all of the ingredients.” I told him rubbing my head.

He grunted, “Well she better be well enough to tell the rest of her story, that’s all I have to say. The men have talked of nothing else all day. If she doesn’t there may be a riot.” He was right of course; the men throughout the morning were talking and collaborating on her story.

I nodded my head, “Would you mind me experimenting in your galley?” I asked him.
He was silent a moment, “Be my guest.”

“Thanks.” I made my way below deck and into the small galley. I took hours mixing different herbs that I remembered for the tonic that my father made me. When I mixed one, I sipped it and more often than not spit to out, but as the hours passed the closer, I became to the mixture. Finally after more tries than I can remember, I finally tasted one that seemed to be perfect. I grabbed a tray from a cupboard, and waited a moment as the ship went over a rather large wave and regained my footing. I pulled out a plate and a piece of bread. It was dry, but that’s what I was looking for. I poured my tonic into a large cup; the texture was what would be horrible to drink.

I carried the tray out of the galley, practicing my best balance to not spill. I switched the tray over to one arm and knocked on her door. “How many times must I tell you to leave me alone?” Came J’s annoyed voice.

“Well to bad.” I gained my courage, “I’m coming in on the count of three. So be ready.” I told her stubbornly, “One……Two……Three.” I pushed the door opened with my open hand and stepped into the room. She was lying on her stomach on her bed, a bucket next to the bed. But I had a feeling that her stomach was long since emptied. I swallowed, I had a stronger stomach than most.

“What do you want?” She groaned as the ship went over another wave.

I smiled slightly, she looked pitiful, it was the only time I had seen her venerable, “I’ve come to rescue you.” I said setting the tray down at the edge of her bed, and picked up the cup. “Come on. Sit up.” I told her seriously.

She opened her eyes and narrowed them at me, “No.” She told me.

“Yes.” I told her back, “Come one I promise you’ll feel better.”

“I’ll throw up.” She said.

“Just trust me.” I said, “That or I will force you.” She closed her eyes and groaned. I felt bad for her she was in pain. I knew how seasickness was. She slowly lifted herself from the bed, just as she sat up she heaved over the bucket, but she had nothing in her stomach left to give. She took a deep breath shaking from head to toe. I frowned.

“Here.” I took her hand and put the cup into it, “This will help your sickness. You have to drink it all though.” He looked into the cup, “I don’t think I can….” She closed her eyes and breathed through her nose.

“Trust me. Drink it all.” I lifted the end of the cup so the tip touched her lips. She sighed and began to drink. She didn’t stop until she had all of it down. She made a face when she did, “Eww.”

I smiled, “I know, but it helps give it a minute and eat this. It will help your stomach.” I handed her the dry bread and put it into her hand. She leaned back against the wall on her bed and nibbled on her loaf of bread. After twenty minutes or so, I spoke up, “How do you feel?” I asked hopeful. Some color had come back to her cheeks, and she was taking bigger bits of her bread.

“Surprisingly better.” She admitted surprised, “Thank you.”

I dipped my head, “It was my honor.” I stood up and picked up the tray and empty cup, “I didn’t want a riot on our hands, which is what would have happened if the men didn’t hear the rest of your story. I smiled, and suddenly she frowned and looked up to her ceiling.
“What is it?” I asked looking at her ceiling.

“Trouble. I’m going to get dressed, you better get on deck. I’ll be there momentarily.” I nodded once, leaving the tray and cup and headed up to the deck
♠ ♠ ♠
So yea, I decided to update this one. Because I dont have Power of the Moons chapter ready yet. But I decided that any update, would be better than NO update. HOpe you liked it. Comments? Complaints? = D
_CORRI_