Status: Sequel is out! :D

Second Heartbeat

Promise To Be Here in the Morning

"Charles," I breathed out.

He had his warms big arms wrapped around my waist, and my arms were folded near my chest.

Charles didn't say anything. He couldn't.

I didn't blame him. I couldn't, didn't want to say anything right now. I was so afraid that he'd pull away from me at any moment, telling me to go away.

Of course he didn't. Charles was way too nice. It was almost too much to bear at this point. I couldn't deal with myself at this point.

He did so much for me, yet I couldn't find myself to say three little words to him.

Three little words that I could say to almost anyone else but him. To the one person that kept me sane. To the one person who seemed to love me more than he loved anyone else in this world.

Loud thrashing noises made me break apart from Charles.

"Emma, open the damn door!" Emily screamed.

I glared.

I did not want her ruining this moment. I wanted more time with Charles no matter what she did or what she said.

I quickly walked over to the door, opening it.

She was glaring at me, and I was glaring right back at her.

"When are you going to be done," she asked angrily. "Go home. I'll be there whenever," I said.

I quickly shut the door in her face, before she could say anything.

I turned back to Charles. He had a small smile on his lips.

"How you were able to stand up to her, I'll never know." He said softly. I smile back at him.

"No worries, she's just a little hormonal." I said.

Charles raised an eyebrow.

"She's pregnant."

He nodded.

"Charles, don't leave me. I care about you too much," I said. He shook his head.

"That's exactly why I have to leave. You care, but you don't love me." He said.

"The love will come. I know it will." I grabbed his hand, and I tangled my fingers in his.

"You have no idea how much I want to believe that, Emma. I just can't anymore." He said. He quickly pulled his hand away from mine.

I frowned.

"Charles, just one more month." I pleaded. He chuckled slightly.

"You, honestly, don't know how many times I've done that to myself. I've been telling myself that after every month had gone by. You just can't love me, and that's okay. I know there's someone out there for you," he said.

"And you're that person."

"Emma, how about I give you more time?" He asked. I nodded my head.

"What about one more night?" He asked.

I looked down at the ground.

I knew one night wouldn't change anything.

"Charles, please give me more time," I whispered. He shook his head.

"Emma, I know nothing will change between us. I will continue loving you, and you will continue to just care about me. I wish you would just see it. It'd make it so much easier on both of us right now."

"I don't ever want to believe that. I want you," I whispered. "That's what's wrong, Emma. I'll give you tonight," he said.

Charles walked up to me. He stared at me, and I could see everything he was feeling. Those blue eyes showed everything so easily.

I hugged him tightly, not wanting to ever let go of him. He wrapped his hands around my body. I could feel the tears running down my face, and my body was shaking.

I suddenly felt my body being lifted up. Charles was carrying me bridal style, and I dug my face into his broad shoulder.

"Never let go of me," I whispered. "Never."

"Promise me," I said. He paused, and I winced. "I promise," he whispered.

He kissed my cheek, and he left a warm sensation.

Charles laid me down on the bed, and I instantly got up, needing his touches. He laid down next to me, and I nearly attacked him.

My arms were wrapped around his waist, as I tried my best to stay as close as physically possible.

"Promise to be here in the morning?" I whispered.

Charles didn't answer me. He didn't need to. I knew the answer, before I even said the question. I closed my eyes slowly as I let his body heat slowly drift me off to sleep.