Status: Sequel is out! :D

Second Heartbeat

Violence is Sure to Come

I sighed deeply. I was sitting on my couch, while the TV was on.

I wasn't paying too much attention to it. I was mostly just lolling around. I spent the first day trying to get rid of the jet lag, and I had to pack all my things.

Not to mention, I called my boss. He told me that I didn't have to come to work for a while, but I told him I'd come in today.

I slowly got up from the couch, and I walked over to my bathroom.

My own apartment was so small and ordinary compared to any of the guys's homes. I didn't have any fancy dresses or mirrors. My home looked like any ordinary vet with little pay.

As I changed into my vet's outfit, just scrubs, I looked at myself.

The guys would laugh so hard, if they saw me in this outfit. The scrubs had “My Little Pony” designs all over it, and it was mostly made of pink colors.

I put my curly brown locks into a messy ponytail that I was I probably would do over ten times in an hour or so. I put my shoes on, and I walked outside my door.

I was lucky. My job was just ten blocks away from my home. Sure, it was a long walk, but it gave me my usual workout for the day.

I took in the scenery. This crowded city had absolutely no appeal to me anymore. The dried out black gum stuck to the sidewalks were disgusting, and there were creepy men walking around everywhere.

Huntington Beach almost seemed like a fantasy world compared to this city.

I sighed deeply.

Maybe I did make a bad decision, when I came back here. I had no mom waiting for me, and my boyfriend was probably long gone from this side of town. Charles was from a wealthy family, so he could move whenever he pleased.

As I reached my building, I stopped. The building was worn down, and the sign was ugly. The big red letters were uneven, and the plants surrounding the building were unappealing.

I sighed as I walked inside. I got a few welcome back’s, but I got more of the sorry’s from everyone. I didn't need them reminding me, it only made me feel worse than it did make me feel better.

I could see my boss heading towards me, and I braced myself.

"Hello, Henry." I said. He nodded.

"You'll be working a four hour shift today. April will be your assistant, she's new." He said. I almost let my confusion show.

I was half-expecting him to freak out for me. He was usually so emotional. I guess I thought wrong.

I nodded.

"Sounds good to me," I said. He nodded, and he walked away. A young girl was standing there, when he was finally gone. She gave me a shy smile, and I smiled back at her.

She seemed nice enough, and I loved her hair. It was beach blond with purple, blue, and pink dots everywhere. It looked so much fun.

"Hello, I assuming, April?" I said. She nodded. "You're Emma," she said. I nodded.

"Nice to meet you. Everyone says you're so nice," she said. I shrugged slightly. "Just a bit, not too much. I love your hair though," I said. She grinned. "Thanks."

April had turned out to be a nice girl, just nice. She seemed to love animals though. She nearly burst into tears, when she saw a dog that got hit by a car though. I had to drag her away from the dog just to get the tears to stop from falling.

Other than that, she was a really good vet. We just couldn't let her see the badly injured animals. We didn't need her bawling, when an animal needed to be helped.

"Thanks for helping me out," April said. A big smile was on her lips. I nodded.

"Of course. You're really good, so I didn't have to do much thankfully," I said. "Hey, do you wanna get something to eat since we're both done with our shifts?" She asked. I nodded.

April ended up driving us both back to my apartment. I thought it'd be a little better, if we ate something home-cooked.

As I walked up to my door, I could hear people talking from behind my door. I froze. Someone, people were robbing me? I began to panic.

"April, I can hear people in my house." I whispered harshly. "Do you live with anyone?" I shook my head.

"Hold up, I got pepper spray," she said digging through her purse. She pulled out a huge red can. She smiled evilly.

"I'll open the door, and I'll spay their asses." She said. I didn't have much time, before she grabbed my keys. She opened the door, and I heard her spraying.

I looked over at the person she was spraying. Shit, I knew him. Damn Jimmy might not like this at all.

Jimmy was pretty much screaming on the ground as April continued to spray at him randomly.

"April, stop!" I screamed. She looked over at me, and Matt quickly grabbed the can from her.

"No," he said sternly. April jumped up slightly, and she kicked Matt in the forbidden zone. Matt fell over in pain.

I couldn't help but let out a small giggle. April wasn't exactly small, but she couldn't be taller than Johnny.

Now seeing someone her height make Matt go down to the ground was very entertaining.

Brian popped up, and he tried to calm her down. It was almost like I was completely invisible at this point.

"Look, girl, just calm down. We're not here to hurt you," Brian said. April just screamed, and she punched him right in the nose. Brian fell on his back, and he cursed under his breath.

April must've been one strong girl. She pepper sprayed Jimmy, kicked Matt in the balls, and she just punched Brian right in the face.

As funny as this was, I had to stop it.

"April, those are my friends," I whispered. April gasped loudly. "Oh my god, I am so sorry," she said slowly. I shrugged.

"Hey, at least I know you can protect me from real robbers," I said giggling. She was still in shock. She was shaking her head, and she was cursing under her breath. I could still hear Jimmy screaming though.

April ran over to him.

"I am so sorry," she whispered. "God, it burns." Jimmy said. "Here, I'll go get some water," April said getting up.

She ran into my apartment, and I could see Zacky and Johnny jump out of her way.

I walked over to Matt, who was still on the ground. His breathing was uneven, and his hands were at the crotch of his pants.

"You okay, Matt?" I asked. He just shook his head. "What the fuck is she? A goddamn wrestler?" Brian asked harshly. "She's a vet like me." I said.

Brian just swore more.

"Shit, we got our asses kicked by a freakin' animal doctor," Brian said harshly.

I saw April come back with a cup of water, and she began helping Jimmy out. Jimmy was still closing his eyes, and April was trying to force them open.

"Look, I'm sorry, but you gotta open them up." April whined. "No, you hurt me!" Jimmy shouted. "I thought you were robbing Emma, so I just did it for her. Please open your eyes, you might lose your vision," April said. "No," Jimmy said.

"C'mon, I'll do anything," April said. I groaned. If I knew Jimmy, he'd take her wishes too far from what she dreamed.

"Will you kiss me?" Jimmy asked. April looked down at him, and she glared at him. He wouldn't see it, but I sure as hell did.

April poured the cup of water all over his face.

"You're an animal," she muttered.