Status: Sequel is out! :D

Second Heartbeat

Surprise, Surprise

I was ashamed of myself.

Why did I just let Val break up with Matt? Why didn't I say anything? They were the perfect couple, they didn't need to break up.

Matt would've kissed the floor Val walked on, if she asked him to.

Val made me follow her, holding my hand the entire time. I could feel everyone's eyes on us, and I even heard some footsteps following us as we made our way to wherever we were headed to.

I wasn't exactly sure where Val was taking me, but I didn't object. She needed to vent her feelings towards me, and I didn't expect that they would be necessarily good feelings.

No I love you's would be present.

Val opened a door, and it was a bathroom. Not exactly my first choice, when yelling at someone, but it was Val's choice.

Val closed the door, and she locked it.

She took a deep breath in and out, before she turned to look at me. She looked so frustrated by now, like she just wanted to pull someone's hair out.

I only hoped she wouldn't do that to me.

"Look, Emma, I know you guys didn't mean for it to happen, but it did happen. I just think that you need to stay away from both Matt and me for now." Val said. I nodded.

"I am sorry, Val." I said softly.

"I know you are. That's how I know you're never gonna do it again," she said. "Val, are we still friends?"

She nodded slowly.

"Funny as it sounds, I still love both of you. I still love Matt, but I know he's bored with me. So I'm just gonna let him be by himself for a while. Just so he can clear his head completely." Val said.

"Val, I don't think you two need a break. You two are the perfect couple. Everything wants a love like you two," I said. She shook her head.

"We're not perfect, close but not it at all. I just don't think Matt's had enough time with other girls. He only knows how to feel around me. I want him to know that he really loves me more than any other girl," she said.

I nearly scoffed out loud.

"Val, he loves you more than any girl. That's why he's been with you so damn long," I said. She shook her head again.

"Honey, I just want him to be more free, without me there holding him down."

"I think you should do the same too, Emma. You were way too attached to that Charles guy. Now that he's left you, you have no idea what you're doing anymore. How many guys have you actually dated?"

"Three, but that's besides the point here. We're talking about you and Matt here," I said quickly. "No, honey. It's part of my point. You've dated more than one guy. You know how their kisses feel different. You know how each of them reacts to different things. Matt and I have no idea how that feels," she said.

Val put her hand on my shoulder.

"Now let's get out of the bathroom. It's kind of awkward," Val said smiling at me.

I couldn't help but smile back at her. She was so caring, and no matter the situation, she always seemed to know what to do. I almost wanted to agree with her on Matt's situation.

Val opened up the bathroom door, and I wasn't surprised to see nearly everyone standing there.

Jimmy was on the floor near Val's feet. No doubt he had his ear pressed against the door.

"What's this all about?" Michelle asked.

She had her hands on her hips, and her was eying me suspiciously.

"Nothing, just trying to get Emma to move to California." Val said cheerfully. "How'd it go?" Emily asked.

"Good, but she said she'd move there in two months max." Val said.

"Really now?" I asked slowly. Val nodded.

"You owe me," she mouthed at me.

"That's right," I said quickly.

I did not need everyone else hating me right now. I think I hated myself enough right now. Not to mention my best friend, Brian hated me too.

I think Michelle wouldn't be as kind as Val either. She'd probably rip my hair out. Not to mention what she would do to poor Matt.

"Well, it's not much, but she did promise me." Val said smiling.

I grinned right back at her. God, she was evil in the inside.

Emily let out a scream. Thank God it was one of her smaller ones. I didn't even need to cover my ears this time.

Of course, I felt sorry for Johnny because he was the closest to her. How he could live with her, I didn't know. She wasn't this weird, when we were in high school.

Now not that this wasn't exactly happy, but I couldn't be happy. I still wasn't satisfied with what happened between Matt and Val.

"Val, why'd Matt run off?" Michelle asked.

Val seemed to think about her answer, before she said it.

"We're not together anymore," Val said slowly.

Everyone looked completely shocked. No one said anything for the longest time. I would've reacted the same way, if I had found out the same way as them.

"Why?" Jimmy asked.

I noticed that he didn't even try to get up from the ground. Val smiled down at him sweetly.

"We decided it would be best," she said softly.

"But you two are the perfect couple," Johnny whined.

Val laughed.

I hoped she was remembering that I had said that same thing to her. Maybe now she would realize that it was the truth.

"No, we weren't. Besides, Matt's a big boy. He'll be able to handle the break up," Val said shrugging.

"So you broke up with Matt?" Michelle asked. Val shrugged.

"Doesn't matter who broke up with who. All that matters is that we're not together anymore," Val said quickly.

"Val, are you making a mistake?" Michelle asked.

Val didn't answer at first. She gave us a small smile.

"I'm not sure," she whispered.

She quickly pushed her way out of the bathroom, and I followed her.

I didn't have anything new to say to her, but I didn't want to leave her alone.