Status: Sequel is out! :D

Second Heartbeat

Even Brian Lies

So Emily and Johnny had decided to throw some random party for Yancy. I think it was just because they wanted to show off some more though.

I slowly sipped at my cup of water.

Lately, I've been not-so-social, which was weird for me. I wasn't as loud as Emily or Clem, but I did love to talk, especially to my best friends.

I could hear everyone speaking to each other. They were all happy... Wait. Was I saying that I wasn't happy?

How couldn't I be happy?

I was surrounded by my best friends. Their laughter was surrounding me. I was an aunt now.

Why was I moping around?

I heard a very familiar giggle.

I groaned softly, making sure no one else would hear it.

That's right.

It was because of her. No, it was because of me. If only I had taken my many chances... Then Zacky wouldn't have his arms wrapped around her waist, kissing her neck.

I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder. Of course, I thought it would be Brian.

"Emma."

So it was Matt?

"I feel exactly the same as you do," Matt said.

I looked up at him. He was looking at Val, wasn't he?

Indeed, he was.

"Emma, you have no idea how much I want to go over there and punch that damn asshole for even looking at her," Matt grumbled.

He took a seat next to me.

I almost wanted to ask him why didn't he do it, but I knew better. Matt was rough, but he was really a sweetheart deep down.

"We both know why I'm not doing what I want to do, but I have no clue why you're not slapping Gena." Matt said.

I looked at him.

My reason was almost the same as his, except I wasn't a sweetheart.

I knew that Zacky would be a hell of a lot more happy with this 'Gena' than he would ever be with me.

"Matt, I don't think I should." I said softly. "Why the hell not? Have you seen Zacky?" Matt asked.

I stared at Matt oddly.

"Are you calling Zacky hot?" I asked skeptically.

Matt just shuddered, and I took that as a no.

"Emma, I meant that he looks like shit! Haven't you seen his face?" Matt said. "Yes, I've seen him. He looks pretty damn happy to me," I said.

Matt shook his head.

"No, you're not looking then." Matt said. I looked at him strangely.

"Think about it, Emma." He said. I shrugged.

What was there to think about?

"Why would he, Zacky, be with the girl that no longer wanted to be with him? I mean, they broke up because they were drifting apart. It's not like Zacky or Gena broke up without each other's consent or anything. They both agreed to it," Matt said.

I looked at Matt, and then I looked over at Brian.

Brian lied to me.

Brian looked at me, and I could see that he flinched. I was glaring at him.

"What's wrong?" Matt asked. "Nothing," I muttered.

I stood up quickly, and I made my way over to Brian. Brian was frantically trying to get up, but Michelle was holding onto his arm.

"Babe," she whined.

"Look, I love you, Michelle, but I gotta go." Brian said quickly. Brian broke out of Michelle's grasp, but he was too late. I grabbed onto his right arm, and I latched myself on it.

"Why did you lie to me?" I asked harshly.

He looked at me and then up. I think he was looking at Matt, but I wasn't too sure.

Brian opened his mouth, but he didn't say anything.

"Brian."

Brian looked like he was thinking something over, weighing his options.

"I just wanted you to do something, Emma!" He whined.

I rolled my eyes.

"It seems like you're not the only one around here who wants me to do something," I said. Brian grinned.

"Matt," he said softly.

"Look, when I want to do something, I'll do it." I said.

With that, I turned and walked away.