Love in Strange Places

Conversation

It was ever so slightly awkward around Kellan. There was definitely some sort of attraction - whether it was Kellan's god-given looks giving me a heart attack or five, or his weird draw to a scary porcelain doll, there was something.

"So, how do you know Rob and Jackson?" he asked, obviously sensing the awkwardness.
"Easy. They were lying in a gutter half dead and I pitied the poor guys," I told him sarcastically. He looked slightly bewildered. "Kidding. I'm English, and I lived next door to him until I was sixteen, when I moved to America. And then I went to high school with Jackson. Heh. Funny they should meet here though. Something I wasn't expecting." I rambled. I don't think he was very impressed.
"And Ashley?" he asked. What was it to him anyway?
I rolled my eyes. "That's Jackson's fault too. Like everything else," I told him. He laughed.
"And you're not bored of them or anything?" he joked.
"Oh, they were the biggest mistakes of my life," I teased. I could hear Rob laughing and Ashley and Jackson going "hey!" in offence. "KIDDING!" I added to please them, as I rolled my eyes.
Kellan twisted slightly, and I could feel his breath on my face. Odd. We're not that close.

And thats when I could smell it. The nasty, tar-like scent of tobacco made me choke. What was it with tobacco that made me choke until I almost died?
"Are you okay?" I heard Kellan ask. I couldn't take out my newly worsened mood out on him- he had no idea about my tobacco intolerance.
"Uh...I think so," I wheezed. "It's not your fault. Much." I continued wheezing.
"I...am confused," I heard him say.
"I have a really bad intolerance to tobacco...cigarettes...cigars...you get the idea. I could smell tobacco on you and I started gagging. Hence it's not your fault...much." I wheezed. He half-smiled. I heard Ashley, Rob and Jackson come through. Suddenly I felt as if I'd have to get used to the tobacco-y smell on Kellan.
"Hey guys!" she smiled. Oh dear. What now.
"Hey," I said, half-wheezing. I'd have to remember to thank her for the non-tip about that.
"You two seemed to be getting on...erm...great," Jackson smiled.
"Yeah, until I started choking and gagging...now stop acting as if you haven't been watching. What do you want?" I snapped. Aw hell, I've just embarrassed myself. Could this get any worse?
Apparently so.
"I was planning a beach trip, and I was wondering if you two wanted to go," Ashley cheerfully announced.
"Sure," Kellan replied. He turned to me. "You'll come too, won't you, Esme?"
I couldn't think of a witty response, so I just nodded.
It looks like I'm going to be getting used to tobacco now.
♠ ♠ ♠
NOT GREAT, I know. I just needed to update. And I'd been planning this for a while, and I had limited time. Leave a commment? :)