One Way Ticket

Prologue

"What's another way to say 'sluggish by nature'?" Paige asked as she twirled her pencil between her fingers and glanced sideways at the young woman sleeping soundly beside her with her head propped up against a pillow. "Rachel!"

Rachel jerked awake. "Are we there yet?" she mumbled, sitting up and blinking sleep out of her eyes. She realized she had only been sleeping for about half an hour or so since Paige last woke her up for help on her crossword puzzle.

"Never mind," Paige sighed. She turned back to her crossword while Rachel glanced out the window with a yawn. There was nothing to look at; she's been in a plane many times before and has lost interest in watching clouds.

"I'll be right back," Rachel said after a moment as she stood up. "Bathroom."

She stepped out onto the aisle, passing the rows of seats to the bathrooms. She stepped into the tiny bathroom and locked it before turning to the sink and running the cold water. She splashed water on her face before straightening up and gazing at her tired reflection in the mirror. It was a long flight from Australia to Canada, but it was one she's taken many times before. She spent a few minutes to try to fix up her messy brown hair and slightly smudged make up.

A few minutes later she emerged out of the bathroom and made her way back down the aisle. She was just slipping past Paige to her seat when she heard the announcement. "Please fasten your seat belt."

"What's going on?" she asked Paige as she collapsed back into her seat, reaching for her seat belt.

"No idea." Paige's face disappeared behind a curtain of her long curly blond hair as she did up her seat belt.

The plane suddenly jerked and they were forced against their seat belts as the plane seemed to drop. A few of the occupants screamed as a couple of passengers were thrown around who weren't able to fasten their seat belts in time. Various different items were thrown around as the oxygen masks came down.

Rachel grabbed her oxygen mask, breathing into it deeply while holding onto her seat with another hand although she already had the seat belt on. A few seconds later something hit her hard in the head and everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was a bit difficult to write, as I've never been on a plane. It is short, but the chapters will be much longer.