One Way Ticket

Crash

Rachel opened her eyes, seeing nothing but blue around her. Her head was pounding and the screaming and shouting surrounding her seemed distant. She reached up and rubbed her forehead, finding it covered in blood.

She staggered up to her feet, trying to focus on her surroundings. She wasn't on the plane, she was lying on a beach surrounded by wreckage and people. She turned and saw the plane that was partially on fire. There were many people carrying or half dragging bodies out of the plane.

Fear struck her as she stumbled forwards, feeling dazed. It all came back to her now-they obviously had crashed. Where were they? She passed an older woman supporting a bloody arm and looked up and down the beach as if expecting to see ambulances and helicopters around. By the looks of it, there was only jungle as far as she could see up and down the beach.

"Rachel!" a familiar voice shouted out and someone suddenly grabbed her arm. Rachel turned to find herself face to face with Paige.

"Are you okay?" Rachel asked numbly, feeling as though she was watching everything from above and wasn't actually apart of it.

"I don't know. I think I broke my arm," Paige was fighting back tears, but was looking near hysterical. "We got almost everyone out of the plane but we can't get back in now."

"Isn't there anyone coming to help? We're going to need to get to the hospital," Rachel asked quickly, her gaze covering the beach where many people were laying with obvious injuries.

"There hasn't been anyone. I don't know where we are," Paige's voice shook. "You should sit back down, you hit your head pretty hard. I'm going to try to help." Paige turned around and stumbled over someone's luggage as she hurried back towards the burning plane. Rachel sank back down to the ground.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few hours later everyone was quiet. Someone had found a first aid kit and was going around to those badly injured to try to help. Everyone else remained around the beach away from the plane.

Rachel sat back, resting her chin on her hand as she sat cross legged on the beach, watching. Several people still seemed to be in shock; they sat around the beach without speaking, staring blankly out to sea. There was a teenage boy standing almost knee deep in the water, throwing rocks out into the waves. Several others, including Paige, were going around applying first aid to those who needed it. She also spotted an older man in a business suit trying desperately to get his cell phone to work, but there was no service.

"Looks like you hit your head pretty hard," an unfamiliar male voice spoke up. Rachel glanced up, squinting slightly to focus her gaze on a young man standing nearby, glancing down at her. He wore a darker suit though had the jacket slung over his arm. He had green eyes, partially hidden behind his messy dark hair. His face was pale, but his high cheekbones prominent.

"Yeah," Rachel replied, glancing up briefly before back across the beach. "I'll be fine, though," she added vaguely although he hadn't asked. She still had a headache and felt slightly sick.

"Rescue should be getting here pretty soon," the young man sounded confident. "Though I don't know what's taking them so long."

"Where are we?" Rachel asked, blinking in attempt to clear her vision to see what Paige was doing further down the beach. The man shrugged, although she wasn't looking at him.

"We weren't near any land when we went down. The pilots unconscious," he replied vaguely.

"Oh." Rachel frowned slightly as she gazed further down the beach. The group had moved further down the beach and away from the plane, which was still burning. Rachel watched as Paige walked towards her, dragging a bag.

"I found some water," Paige called, breathing rather heavily as she tried to drag the large heavy bag through the sand. She paused, wiping her arm across her brow before digging into the bag and pulling out a water bottle. She tossed one to Rachel and offered one to the young man but he had turned around and started to walk away.

"It's going to get dark soon," Paige sighed as she sat down next to Rachel and opened the water bottle, taking a drink. "No sign of rescue. That plane will help them find us though; it will probably burn through the night."

"We're all just staying here?" Rachel asked vaguely. Although it now seemed unlikely, she did wonder if there was civilization on the other end of this island they were on. Some people had hiked up and down the beach only an hour earlier in search of help but hadn't found anything.

"I guess so. Nothing else we can do, I don't think. We don't want to go searching for help and have rescue miss us or something," Paige explained as she reached up to tie her messy curly hair into a pony tail. "Best thing to do is just wait right now."

Rachel nodded as she took a sip of the warm bottled water, feeling her stomach churn. The beach was quiet; she could hear the hushed voices of people on the beach and the roars of the fire in the plane. She closed her eyes, wishing for her headache to go away.