Beauty of the Beast

Diamond

21 years later

I twisted awkwardly in my velvet seat, vainly attempting to loosen the laces constricting my back. I gasp for air. Why did breathing have to be so difficult?

“Adelle, this ball isn’t that great of a deal. You needn’t be so concerned about it.” Father advised.

“I’m not nervous. It’s this horrid corset!” I complained breathlessly. “I can’t even breathe!”

“Ladies don’t use the word ‘horrid’, Adelle.”

And that is because the word ‘horrid’, is horrid, I thought sourly.

He released a puff of smoke out the window.

Fidgeting any more proved worthless, and I ran out of my remaining supply of air all too soon. Sighing, I was forced to sit still and catch my breath.

“I think Madam Garnet is trying to kill me.” I mumbled.

He paid no notice to my rude comment, and stared through the rain-dotted glass instead.

I traced his gaze to the mighty Thames. It tumbled and gurgled like a river of tar; with pollution from the factories upstream giving it a stench to match. I found the water frightening, and yet fascinating too. Like a prehistoric monster, laying in wait.

Nearby, street lamps bordered the edge of the road like ribs of the pavement. Newly decorated for the approaching holidays, they each wore angular bows and garland ropes. I stared into their yellow lights as they passed by. They were watching me. I swear I could feel it.

“Inspiring, aren’t they?” Father observes. “All the lamps in Victria are run by gas now. What a wonderful invention. These roads used to be so dark.”

See? There was nothing to be afraid of. These hypnotizing poles were just progress. Just like everything else.

Progress.

Change.


Now I was worrying about Chandra. I did that a lot lately.

I hadn’t seen my best friend in a matter of months. Her mother had sent her off to a finishing school near London, called ‘Elickson’s Finishing School for Girls’. So our only communication has been writing letters under the careful censoring eyes of Lady Elickson. The only person I know that actually bothers to read everyone’s letters before they do. It left very little room for conversation; the weather, her classes, our health, the latest fashion, and the news.

What if she has changed? What if she is a horrid – I mean nasty – girl? What if she has a new best friend? What if she doesn’t like my dress?

The carriage yanked to a sudden halt, and the clop-clop of the horse’s hooves stopped with it.

I drew in a sharp breath. We were there already?

Looking anxiously out the window revealed nothing; I could not see Chandra’s brilliant smile among the masses.

Forgetting to wait for the carriage boy to open the door for me, I tumbled out of the ebony carriage and onto the brick stairwell. I quickly adjusted my posture, praying that Father hadn’t seen my mistake. But I was out of luck, and I caught the punishing look that he shot at me. I smiled back sheepishly.

I have to act like a lady. A true lady would never leave a carriage with any less grace than a swan. Unlike me.

“Adelle?” A familiar voice grabbed my attention.

All of the worries I had built up before vanished when I saw her, and I couldn’t help but laugh at how ridiculous I was. She was wearing a lime colored dress to match her eyes, and her red hair sprung into lively ringlets at her neck, it reminded me of a fairy.

Of course Chandra was the same. How could it be any other way?

“Adelle! Oh, Adelle, you have grown so beautifully!”

We attempted to hug each other, but the frills of our dresses got in the way, so it was rather pathetic. I guess it would have to do for now.

“Chandra.” It felt so good to be talking to her again. “I have so much to tell you. If I only knew where to start!”

Chandra’s lime dress thwip-ed across the floor, and she turned to give me an ecstatic smile.

“There is so much I need to tell you too. But I can’t!” She admitted.

“And why not?”

“Because he’s not here yet.” She giggled childishly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Oh.” I pretended to understand.

“Don’t worry. You’ll know soon enough. He’ll be here any second!”

I caught a glimpse of Father, laughing with old friends at a drinking table. He seemed to be enjoying himself.

“Is that your father… laughing?” Chandra astonished. “He’s doing better. I can tell.”

I nodded.

“He’s almost over it.” I add very quietly.

“That’s wonderful.”

“Well, that is to say I don’t think he’ll ever completely get over Mother’s death, but… he’s even becoming annoying again.”

“No. Really? I was under the impression you always found him annoying.” She laughed.

No. Not when he’s too heartbroken to talk.

“Oh! I forgot something important!” Chandra trilled. “Wait right here. I’ll be back in a second. I promise.”

“Oh. Okay then.”

And with that, she scuttled off into the mass of people. I lost sight of her pixie curls in a matter of seconds.

What could she possibly be doing? I’ve seen her for the first time in months and she is already gone. She hasn’t changed a bit.

“I guess I should have known you would be here.”

My stomach did instant flips, and my face flushed white.

“George! I didn’t know you were coming to the Christmas party!”

“How could I not?” His smile was angelic. “I miss all of my old friends so much. I needed to see everyone at least once before I got back to school.”

I had missed him so much too, if he only knew. I missed everything.

“Adelle?”

“Yes. I’m glad you came too.” I stampered.

He smiled, sending my heart racing. I prayed he couldn’t hear it.

“You especially. I need to have a dinner with you some time soon. I hope your governess won’t mind.”

“Oh, no, Madam Garnet won’t mind at all; as long as she gets a meal too.” I laughed.

He smiled back.

“Good evening, George.” Chandra has returned.

“Good evening.”

Chandra wrapped her arm around his, keeping as close as she could without the interference of her dress’ frills.

After that, everything became a blur. A horrible, disastrous blur.

“Adelle. I would like to introduce you to my fiancé, George Tutch.”

My heart fell flat into my stomach, and my stomach nearly spilled onto the floor.

Fiancé?

“Chandra. Adelle and I are good friends. We’ve known each other for… I’m not sure. Practically forever.” His smile seemed foggy. Unfamiliar.

“Really? How so? Why did you never tell me about this, Adelle? I could have met him sooner.” She laughed oh so playfully.

But I couldn’t hear them anymore.

Fiancé.

“See, Adelle? I wasn’t wearing the ring earlier but now I am! I wanted it to be a surprise. Isn’t it just wonderful?

An elegant diamond with inlaid rubies. It was beautiful. I wanted to puke.

“Adelle? Are you feeling okay?” I heard him.

“You look so pale! Here, sit down.”

I didn’t sit.

I ran.

Ignoring the complaints of the guest was easy. After all, I could barely see their faces through my tears. Everything was blurred and cold. I didn’t care though. I just ran for the door.

Fiancé. Chandra’s fiancé.

I choked.

Outside was even colder, and the bitter rain gnawed away at piles of gray snow on the sidewalk.

Tears were falling that I didn’t know how to stop, staining cold paths down my face. I didn’t even bother to wipe them off.

So much for acting like a lady.

My breathing became pained, and I began to feel dizzy. I choked; gasping for air my lungs couldn’t find.

My corset!

I struggled with the laces on the sides, attempting to get my maroon bodice off.

Something ripped, and I pulled off the dress. The corset followed it, landing swiftly in a puddle.

I panted, falling to my hands to gather as much air as I could.

Father is going to kill me for this later.

The dress and corset laid there in the puddle, being rained on. I hardly cared. Maybe, if it rained enough, I would have a reasonable excuse not to wear the maroon dress ever again.

It was George’s favorite after all. I wore it all the time.

Just the thought of George brought on a whole new wave of tears.

I hope he and Chandra live long, happy lives together, I thought ruefully.

I opened my eyes slowly, the light from the street lamps was too much. It was just all the more reason for me to dislike them so.

A pair of black and white paws slowly came into focus.

I gasped, and jumped back, but the paws followed me to the ground where I landed. I panicked, and fell stiffly into a puddle, making everything cold again.

I hit my head on the way down, and everything became multiplied in my vision.

What is going on?

I looked down again. The paws were still there. There were four of them, and then six, and then four again. Six. Four. Six.

I pulled myself out of the cold puddle. The water wavered and shivered with me, but eventually grew still enough for my reflection.

A monster.

I didn’t understand. The face in the puddle wasn’t me. It was a monster. A wolf.

What have I become?

The white-faced creature had my eyes, a faint icy blue. But it also had ears, a muzzle, fangs, fur… I was hallucinating. It was the only logical excuse.

I stumbled forward, feeling like I could faint, and nearly fell into the puddle.

I’m just seeing things. I reminded myself. There is no way that’s me.

I looked in the puddle again.

The blackness enveloped me. At least it was warm.