My Summer Love Story

Fake bugs, mustaches, and shaving cream

Jackie's Pov

'RINGGG'
I flew off of the bed and my sheets tangled around my bare legs. Hitting the floor hard with my back I laid there for a second and stared at the ceiling.
"You have got to be kidding me! What the heck was that?" I yelled at the walls.
Five heads peeked over the edges of their beds and started laughing.
"It ha was the ha ha breakfast ha bell!" Maxy giggled.
"Lena! Your hair!" Olivia squealed pointing to Lena's now white hair.
"And Vicky! You kinda need to pluck." Liz said with a straight face.
Lena and Vicky stole a quick look at each other and raced to the bathroom before erupting in screams. The rest of the girls were howling and trying to shove their faces into their pillows before they returned.
"Who did-"
"THIS" Vicky yelled storming into the main room while finishing Lena's sentence.
We shook our heads and tried to act like we had no idea what was going on, although Liz was still shaking with laughter.
"Oh my gosh! I think I know who it was!" Maxy said widening her hazel eyes in innocence. "It must have been the guys! You have to get them back!" Olivia and Liz and I nodded solemnly and agreed with her.
I felt bad for Lena and Vicky but it was a blast watching their faces turn red with anger. Lena was sporting a new uni-brow and thin mustache with all of her hair piled on top of her head in a spiked up do. Vicky had a bushy beard and a mustache and her hair was flattened down with shaving cream and then poofed up at the bottom. Our bunks and cabin was decorated in an assortment of toilet paper, confetti, shaving cream, flour, maple syrup, and fake bugs that were planted in the randomest places the guys could possibly find. And I don't even want to know what they did to our cubbies.
I peeled my sheets off of me and stuffed them back onto bed making a quick reminder to make it later. After taking a quick cold shower I rummaged through the other girls cubbies, (with their permission first of course) and located most of my belongings. I threw on a light green Abercrombie jacket with white matching sweat pant capris and I slipped on duck slippers after pulling a fake beetle out of them and then Liz had to pet and coo over the fake ducks.
"Aww Jackie! Where did you get those? They are the cutest things ever!" Maxy squealed when she saw them.
I shrugged smiling. "They were a gift from a friend back home."
"Well, I have to get me some of those." Liz said determined.

Olivia was straightening her hair at the mirror and our counselor, Raine, was still in her shared bedroom getting ready for the day alone since Lakien as a CIT had to wake early and help with breakfast. Raine had already popped out several times to ask our opinions on something and then always decided to pick the other one that we hadn't chose. We soon learned to tell her 'yes' to the one we didn't like and 'no' to the one we didn't. That way we always won!

The bell rang again and Liz informed me that it was a fifteen minute warning.
Lena and Vicky emerged from the showers fully dressed three minutes later and Maxy was spread out asleep on her bed again. So after shaking Maxy awake Liz pounded on Raine's door and we were on our way with five minutes to spare. Aren't we good?

"This is not food." Vicky states as she pushes her eggs away from her. "This is poison."
Liz hapilly shovels the food in and grins at us apologetically.
"It takes awhile to get used to it."
"Yeah like six years?" Olivia says smugly.
We all laugh and I try to concentrate on my food and not look over at the boys table.
A food fight breaks out between two of the guys and they laugh hysterically as they pull stuff out of each others hair.

"So what happened between you and Cade last night?" Liz says around a mouthful of what looks like some kind of soda.
"Shh!" I say slapping my hand on her mouth.
She sticks her tongue through my closed fingers and laughs at my disgusted expression.
"Nothing" I say wiping my hands on her zebra print hoodie.
"Oh come on. That was not nothing. You can tell me. Pleassseee?" I laugh at her immaturity and agree but make her promise not to tell.
"I woke up and saw that you were missing so I went out and tried to find you in the woods. I have the mosquito bites to prove it!" I lifted my jacket sleeved to prove my point and then continue. "So anyway, I couldn't find you so I got lost then finally found my way back and I ran into Cade on the porch. He didn't want to embarrass me in front of the girls so he covered for me."
"That's it?"
"That's it." I say firmly.
"No kissing, hugging, anything like that?"
"Absolutely not! I just met him!" I throw a piece of toast at her head and she catches it in her open mouth.
"He likes you." My dry eggs catch in my throat and I cough trying to clear it.
"How cough cough do cough you know cough that?" She dosen't laugh at me but instead stares burning holes in my face.
"I just do." She shrugs. "I'm going to go thank him." She swings one leg off of the bench before I realize what she's saying and stop her.
"Liz, don't!" I plead hanging on to the bottom of her shorts.
"And why not?"
"I'll be your best friend!" I sing.
"You already are." She states and starts walking to the guys table.
And I can't help but have a feeling that she's right. We haven't really known each other for very wrong but I've already come to know most of her likes and dislikes, I can name all of her pets and some of her family members from her talking about them constantly, and I also know her sleeping habits. Weird huh?
I watch as Liz leans over casually and starts talking to Cade. He glances over shyly and catches my eye for a second before looking away. One of the guys at the table watches Liz closely and I can't help but thinking that he likes her. Should I be a matchmaker for them? It would be interesting. I think resting my chin on my hand.
Before I know it Liz is headed back to me and grinning widely. Cade looks over again and I lift my cup, catch his eye, and take a sip.

Raine wanders over to our crazy table later and she grins at all of us slyly.
"Electives!" The other girls squeal and start reaching for papers Raine holds.
Lena, Vicky, and I glance at each other shrugging and wait for papers to get passed to us.
All around the cafeteria (which I found out earlier is called a Rec Hall) kids are chattering excitedly and waving around papers.
Liz hands me the stack and I pass them down to the others before settling down to read it.
Raine does a quick introduction to it for us new girls and then hands out pencils from her pocket.

So I just pick four and I get three? Sounds okay I guess.
The first one is Nature and I shudder and glance at the next one. Drama. I'm okay at acting so I check the box and move on to the next one. I laugh at the sports one briefly and see that Maxy has already checked that off. Well dang, who knew? Also on the list is photography, cooking, hiking, water sports, which Liz informed me that I didn't want. I figured it was just like a lake volleyball or something but she told me there was a river around here and they did rafting and canoeing and stuff like that. So much for that. I chewed on the end of the eraser and read the rest. Newspaper, and woodworking. When I'm done I had chose Drama, photography, and after nudging Liz and asking her which ones Cade would take (sports, newspaper, and hiking) I choose hiking as my last one and hand it in. After the first month and a half of summer is gone then we re-choose our electives. But who knew choosing them would take so much energy?

Finally making our way back to our cabin to change and clean up a little bit I spot Alex up a bit on the trail. So I run off and to go talk to him.
"Hey, what's up?" I say breathless.
"Hey and nothing." He dosen't look at me.
"Is something wrong?" I say stopping and trying to get him to look at me.
"I saw you and Cade together last night on your porch."
"Oh. Cade is just a-"
He cuts me off by putting up a hand. "Listen, I understand if you like Cade. But I just want to know if you like me?"
"Well of course I do. We're friends aren't we?"
But he shakes his head and frowns before walking away from me.
Liz sees the exchange and comes up behind me, putting her arm around my sunburned shoulders.
"Do you want to talk about it?"
I shake my head no.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this is kinda long isn't it?

Haha anyway, comments are loved and appreciated!

Rate, comment, add me, give creative criticism. :)