My Summer Love Story

"Call 911!"

Cade's Pov

"Anyone up for getting lost?"

Jackie's last words still rang in my ears as we trudged deeper and deeper into the dark forest. The only sound was sticks being cracked beneath our feet and labored breathing from the long and tough trek.

Chase hangs back a little with Liz and tries to comfort her with no success; I can tell by the way Jackie keeps looking back at Liz that she wishes she could help her too.

"Cheer up." I say startling Lena who had started to doze while she was walking. I gently tug Jackie's arm until she is right next to me and bravely take her hand to comfort her.

Fireworks explode in my stomach at the touch. "I am holding Jackie's hand. I am holding Jackie's hand." This thought keeps running through my head and I push it away with a silent "shut up". If I freak out only when I hold Jackie's hand, imagine what it would be like if we ever kissed.

----
The lights dim and Jackie and Cade lean closer and closer until their lips touch in a passionate way. But something is wrong.

"Cade. Cade? Are you all right?" Jackie looks around hectically for people. "Someone call 911! I don't think he is breathing!"

"Cade falls to the floor dead from a heart attack"

(End of clip)

I shake my head to clear my thoughts and I can still feel Jackie's warm hand pressed into mine which means she hasn't pulled away yet. Which means she might just like it! Score! Okay Cade, don't get ahead of yourself.

"Liz, we have been searching forever!" Maxy's tired voice says from somewhere behind me. "When are we going to go back?"

"I don't know Max. Soon." But behind the words I can tell she's keeping something from us. I can tell from the way she had hesitated. Like the time she broke the kitchen window back home with a soccer ball and told our dad that our dog, Muffins, had broken it. Dad could easily tell she had lied from the way she hesitated. Like now.

I reluctantly drop Jackie's hand and fall to the back of the group where Liz is trudging sadly.
Shane gives Liz one last shoulder squeeze and hurries to catch the still walking group, leaving us by ourselves.

"Liz? What's wrong?" I sat trying to catch her eye in the dark; but she keeps her head hung low so I can't catch her expression.

I poke her side gently until she replies.

"I don't- I don't know our way back." And she bursts into loud tears.

Crap. I so did not expect that.

Not good with girl emotions! Not good with girl emotions! The words explode in my head and I do the first thing I can think of; I give her a hug.

I haven't hugged Liz in awhile. It feels weird. Like a sweat shirt that had been left to long to hang in a closet and then you pull it out and slip it on. Not as familiar as it once had.

But she responds by wrapping her arms around me and I feel relief that her cries have finally lightened a considerable amount.

"Liz, it's totally fine. We'll find our way back, don't worry." I mumble into her dark hair.

I gently pull leaves and pieces of debris that had been tangled in her hair from the walk and she sniffs trying to be brave but not quite there just yet.

"Liz, you don't always have to be so brave." I say pulling gently away from her so I can see her face.

Her eyes droop in places and from the faint moonlight that shines through the canopy of tree above I can tell there is still tears running down her dirty cheeks. I wipe them away with a corner of my t-shirt and she sniffs.

"Cade, it- it's just so hard. I just miss her so much." Her wails bring the tears back and I pull her close again, burying her head in my shoulder, I rock her lightly back and forth.

"I'll always be here for you, Lizzerton." I say using an old child nick-name. I feel her smile and she pulls away, brushing the tears away.

"Thanks, Cade. And I know. It's just so hard some times. Did you notice that yesterday was her birthday?"

I nod and then realize she can't see it.

"I remembered. Dad probably went to the grave yard in Maine and put lilies on her grave, huh?" I say referring to my mom's favorite flower and my dad's yearly ritual.

"I miss mom." She hesitates. "But I guess she must like it up in Heaven." I wrap my left arm around her shoulder, she leans into me and we head off to catch up with the group.
♠ ♠ ♠
The title made you wonder eh? hehe :)
This chapter is dedicated to Chasing Stars for her lovely, amazing, awesome, sweet, comment :)
This chapter is short but sweet. I think Liz and Cade needed something in their past to make them interesting. Just like all of the characters. And guess what! I have two other chapters to put up in this story. *Gasp* I'm excited :)

I love comments! So even a short one will do :) Seriously, I would marry one if I could :)