My Summer Love Story

Womanly?

Cade’s Pov.

“Cadey poo,” I groaned at the loud words and flipped over, slowly opening one eye lid at a time.

“Shut up, Shane. I will beat you.”

“Oooh, kinky. I like it!”

“Perv,” I muttered, tossing my pillow at him. “Go back to sleep, it’s too early.”

“I can’t,” he whined, tossing my pillow back. “Can we go fishing?”

“Shut up, you two!” Jake hissed from the bed below me. He swung a tired punch at Shane who dodged it with a laugh. “Please?”

I sighed. “Fine, go wake up Reese while I get changed.”

-

“Can we get the girls to go with us?” Reese asked hopefully, sticking a bare leg into his swim shorts. He frowned when he put them on backwards and took them off to fix them.

“Well I can’t see them going fishing, but don’t go in your boxers.” I replied pulling on my own shorts.

“Hurry up, guys!” Shane called, already dressed and hopping excitedly on one foot at the door. I heard one of the guys groan and another pillow went flying in Shane’s direction.

“He’s like an excited squirrel that never sleeps.” Reese said under his breath to me. I laughed and Shane shot a frown at the both of us.

“Don’t get your knickers in a knot.” I called immaturely across the room. Reese and I both snickered and grabbed our t-shirts before leaving.

--

“I vote Shane!” I said.

We were in the middle of a discussion about who should wake up the girls. Naturally, none of us wanted to wake them up earlier then the bell because we would probably be tied up and hung to the flag post with only our boxers on.

“It’s only fair since you woke us up early,” I pointed out with a smirk. Reese agreed and easily picked Shane up, dropping him in front of the screen door and blocking the steps so he couldn’t escape. “Go.” Reese said, leaning on the porch post.

“But, they’re evil!” He whispered. “And I don’t want to be the subject of their wrath! I vote on Reese.”

“Too late, seniority rules.” I said with a laugh, taking a seat on the wooden steps.

“I’ve been here as long as the both of you have!” He whined, taking a step away from the door.

Reese blocked his way again and glared until Shane took a step back.

“Fine, but if I get hit, your both dead!”

-

Shane tapped lightly on the door and after another heated glare from Reese he knocked again, this time louder. The screen door opened slowly and a blinking Maxy appeared.

She slapped Shane hard across the face and I broke into loud laughter as he staggered back with a surprised look on his face. It would have been easier to ask the girls if it was Jackie, Lena, or Vicky who had answered the door, but the ones to fear in the morning were Maxy and Liz.

“Jerks,” she muttered as Lena appeared behind her in the doorway. She stared at Shane’s stinging face for a second and then turned to Maxy. “Did you hit him?” She asked as more of the girls came up behind her.

“Yes, he woke me up.”

“You can’t just hit him, Maxy!” Vicky exclaimed, tugging her purple shorts into place.

“Uh, yes I can. We get little sleep as it is with that stupid bell thing.” For once I had to agree with Maxy.

Shane came up behind me, holding a hand to his red cheek. “Is she still angry?” He whispered, cowering behind my shoulders.

“I didn’t hit you that hard!” She protested, taking a step closer to us. Shane took another step back and dragged me with him, assuming I was going to be used as a human shield.

I laughed and dodged out of his way.

“Do you guys want to go fishing?” Reese asked, staring at Liv who had appeared behind the other girls.

Liz immediately nodded like I knew she would, but the other girls hesitated.

Eventually Maxy gave in with a shrug and a “why not?”, Vicky decided to go back to sleep, and Jackie finally gave in with a little prodding from Maxy.

“Where do we get those sticks?” Jackie asked, hopping down the stairs one at a time.

I shot her a curious look, “sticks?”

“Yeah, we’re not catching the fish with our bare hands, are we?”

Reese snorted and Shane’s face was twisted into a look between amused and trying not to laugh loudly at her words.

“They’re fishing poles, Jackie.” Liz said tucking her arms into her light blue sweatshirt. Although it was summer, it was still chilly in the morning. “Do you know where we can get worms from?” She asked turning to me.

“Worms? I thought we were fishing?” Olivia asked, worried.

Shane crept up close to her and she held her hand out at arm’s length, pushing him away from her face.

“Have you really never fished before?” He asked genuinely curious.

“Why on earth would I fish when I can go to a restaurant?”

“Good question.” Maxy stated, her words dripping with thick sarcasm.

“Girls,” I muttered in exasperation, making my way to the nature shack. Last year, the counselor found out I liked to fish and he started keeping a spare key under a rock for me. I nudged the rock with my shoe then bent down and snagged the key; pushing the rock back into place with my other hand.

-

“Peaceful.” Reese murmured, pushing the brim of his baseball hat down over his eyes. He was laying spread out on a beach towel trying to sleep. I laughed at him.

“Trying to show Liv your womanly abs, Reese?”

“Womanly?” He motioned to Shane who was splashing around in the lake, “Now that’s womanly.”

“I heard that, Reese!” Shane called, tripping over something in the water and flailing under,

“You won’t be laughing so hard if I throw you in this nice cold water, will you?”

“You wouldn’t dare, Shane!” He called, squinting as he pulled his hat off.

“Ladies?” The girls nodded in reply and took off for the shady spot that Shane was lounging in. He scrambled getting up and tripped over the towel, landing in a heap at the other’s bare feet.

They each grabbed a flailing body part and held him evenly between them, laughing as he tried to pull away. They walked deep into the lake water and his hair lightly brushed the top of it.

“Bombs away!” Shane yelled and they each let go. Reese dropped like a dead-weight and then kicked off the sand on the bottom, grabbing a mouthful of the water and spitting it out at the girls. They squealed and splashed him, laughing loudly as they got splashed back.
I jumped in a little later and we started a game of Marco Polo. Eventually more camp kids came until the game was spread out over the lake. We played for awhile and then headed off to breakfast.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eek, do not like this chapter at all. I started it awhile ago and just finished it today. Maybe I'll write another chapter and put it up later? Perhaps.

Happy Holidays to everyone! Today is Christmas Eve and I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure as heck looking forward to opening presents tomorrow. But does anyone feel like it's not Christmas? Just a thought because it doesn't feel like it to me.

Welll, as always thanks to everyone who has commented, subscribed, or just told me how much they like my story. I love you all. (: