My Summer Love Story

My home away from home

Liz’s Pov

I let the group hang behind a little bit since I knew that Jackie was not used to running anywhere but from one side of a mall to another. (I have told her this on several occasions and she agrees whole-heartedly.)

I reached the top first and as I stepped through the clearing I breathed long and deep, cleansing myself with forgotten memories of past camp years; even times when Cade and I couldn’t be separated for anything. I looked out across the camp land and watched as it slowly came to life; cabin doors slamming and just awakened campers staggering out into the already brutal summer sun. To me, it was home away from home.

The grassy hills rolled in front of me, sunshine reflecting off a small creeks watery top. I sucked it in, missing this part of the world. Every year it pulled me in so fast, then when the summer abruptly ended it spit me back out into the real world. Where someone would rather text their best friend than talk in real life. Honestly, it gets me every year how people could not know about this part of the world; the good part.

I heard leaves rustling behind me and I turned, hand poised in a mid wave of welcome. But it wasn't Cade and Jackie I saw but Ari and Tiffany- oh excuse me, Queen Tiffany. I held back a well deserved sigh and scowl.

Instead I said, “What are you guys doing here?”

“We come here every morning to run.” Tiffany said, as if she was telling the truth. Tiffany's idea of exercising was watching the pounds roll off of her perfect figure . And I know for a fact that she sneaks in dieting dinners and snacks so no one finds out how she keeps her trim figure in shape.

“We do?” Came Ari’s hushed question. I fought the urge to roll my eyes and watched as Tiffany slammed her pristine sneakers into Ari’s also very white ones.

“Of course we do, but it’s usually me and Jade. Ari’s the prima Donna in the group.” Ari stifled a retort and crossed her arms, if Ari was the prima Donna then Tiffany was like ten thousand times that.

Just then Cade and Jackie crashed through the bushes, holding their sides and laughing, they straightened up when they saw who the extra people were, and Cade's face hardened slightly; just enough for me to tell that he was peeved.

"Hey guys," He called out, no matter how mad he gets, he rarely shows it. "What are you doing up here so early?" He asked, hesitantly returning the enthusiastic hug Tiffany gave him.

She draped herself over his arm and slightly nudged Jackie a step away, glowing at Cade's attention that he was obviously trying hard not to give.

"Silly, you know how much Ari and I love it up here! Remember how much time you and me spent together up here last summer?" She added a wink aimed in Jackie's direction and flames shot out of Jackie's eyes. Before she could say anything, I pushed between the two of them and came very close to dragging Tiffany out of the clearing by her perfectly messed up messy bun.

"If you don't mind," Jackie said, jaw clenched, "We were just going to head on back down." I nodded and plowed ahead with Cade in tow.

"Wait up!" I could hear footsteps coming, "We were just headed down anyway, do you mind if we join you?" Tiffany asked, already breathless. I glared at her, couldn't she take a hint?

"Well actually, we were going to take the long way-" Jackie said, feigning innocence.

Ari put her manicured hand up to stop her; how she kept her hands so perfect at camp I may never know "Say no more." She said," I already had to get up earlier then normal to beat you guys- ouch!" She dug her foot into the ground, trying to ignore the tender spot that
Tiffany had just stomped on- again.

Tiffany widened her blue eyes, "Sorry Ari, did I step on you?"

"Maybe a little," She said, jaw tight.

"Accidents happen, anyway, we're gonna go, see you at breakfast?" Her question was aimed at all of us, but her eyes were taking Cade in. He sneezed. "Sorry, I think I'm allergic to cheap perfume." I snorted and Jackie covered her face with the palm of her hand, stiffing laughter.

Tiffany stomped down the hill and Ari trailed behind her, waving enthusiastically. Tiffany swatted her hand out of the air and I heard Ari's whiny protest. "Bimbos," I muttered.

"Oh by the way, I was kidding about taking the long way," Jackie said quickly, I laughed and weaved my already tanned arm around her shoulders. "Don't worry, tomorrow morning will make up for not taking the long way."
♠ ♠ ♠
Blah... Alright, it's 1:20 in the morning and I have finally gotten this up- including a new chapter to Juvenile Delinquent- so go check that out!

Anyway, feedback's nice so tell your friends to comment(: