I Can Wait Forever

2

Glancing at a nearby table clock, Ashlynn realized it was nearing midnight; it was 11:15. She could already see the couples getting ready, she could hear them talking about it: the big New Years Kiss. The anticipation was growing inside of her. She just wanted it to be over. Nicole was somewhere, Ashlynn wasn't sure where. She was probably drunk, as she normally was at these kinds of parties.

As if Nicole heard Ashlynn's thoughts, she came seemingly out of nowhere behind Ashlynn. She was tripping over herself, as any intoxicated person would do, "Hey Ashy, it's almost midnight! Who you gonna kiss?" She slurred.

Feeling embarrassed, Ashlynn replied with, "Nobody, Nic."

"Awe, but you always have one. Go find somebody! I gots somebody. See, looks!" Nicole grabbed the guy closest to her, who had been previously talking to one of his friends. He seemed alarmed at first, but after seeing her, he softened up, and even began to flirt. The two of them started touching eachother in a way that made Ashlynn feel uncomfortable, so she quickly moved away.

Searching through the crowd for somebody sober enough to have a regular conversation with, she came across her cousin sitting at the bar. She made her way over to them, weaving her way though the throng of dancing bodies, "Hey Patty-cake," she plopped herself down on the barstool and grinned at him.

"You know I hate that nickname, Lynn."

"And you know I hate that name. Anyways, what's up?" She noticed he was sitting with a couple of guys, "Aren't you gonna introduce me to your friends?" She asked, gesturing her hand at them.

"Sure. Guys, this is Ashlynn, my baby cousin," He pointed at her.

"Hey, only by a couple of months!" She laughed and poked his arm playfully.

"But I'm still older! And Ash, this is Jeff," he gestured to a bald man with a lip ring. He looked like the kind of guy she would not want to get into a fight with, "and this is Sebastien," he nudged the guy who was staring at his empty glass. He looked up and Ashlynn was met with piercing blue eyes. He immediately dropped his gaze back down to his glass.

"Hello," she smiled politely at them and turned back to Pat, "So how long are you in Montreal?"

"Just until tomorrow night. We've actually been here a couple days already.".

"What? Why didn't you call? We could have hung out!" Ashlynn pouted at him. She loved spending time with her cousin; she couldn't talk to him very often, he was always busy with work.

"I'm sorry! I've been really busy," Patrick glanced down at his wristwatch and then moved his eyes around the room, as if he was looking for somebody. When he stopped, his eyes lit up. He turned back to Ashlynn, "Sorry Ash, I've got to go," he turned to his two friends, "I'll see you guys later," he stood up and walked across the room.

The bald man, Jeff, and Ashlynn managed to hold a conversation for a little bit. They talked about his job (him and Sebastien were part of a band), and other topics. By the end of it, Ashlynn had concluded that he was a nice guy. Sebastien didn't even look up from his drink. He downed each drink, and ordered the next. When Jeff politely excused himself away from the bar, Ashlynn felt a little uncomfortable being around Sebastien, as he didn't seem like he was a 'people person'.

Ashlynn asked someone what time it was, and they said it was 11:45. She sighed and thanked him, resting her elbows on the bar counter.

"So, uh, how are you?"

She turned her head sideways, smiling at Sebastien, "I'm doing alright. I would ask how you were doing, but you don't look like you're doing too good."

He grunted and looked up at her, "I've been better."

Normally Ashlynn would have just dropped the subject, but she found herself intrigued by this man, "Care to share?"

"Um, my girlfriend just broke up with me."

"There's something we have in common," Ashlynn then realized how that sounded and corrected herself, "my boyfriend ended it last week."

Sebastien nodded in an 'I-see' manner, and took another gulp of his beer. Tracing his finger along the rim of the bottle, he looked at her. He had a shy smile on his face that Ashlynn couldn't help but imitate. There was a small awkward silence between the two.

Ashlynn was about to say something when the crowd that was seated around the television started counting down from 10; the rest of the part soon joined in. Ashlynn quickly turned to Sebastien, "I'm going to kiss you," she spoke so quickly she would've been surprised if he had heard her.

"What?" The confusion was evident on Sebastien's face.

Without explaining again, Ashlynn simply pressed her lips to his just as everyone cheered "Happy New Year!" The kiss was short-lived, but they both felt something. It was as if as soon as their lips touched, sparks jumped off them and fireworks went off over their heads.

When they pulled apart mere seconds later, Ashlynn whispered, "Happy New Year, Sebastien," and turned and started to walk away.

"Wait," Sebastien grabbed her arm and stood up, "you can't just kiss me and walk away." Ashlynn didn't have a suitable answer, so she stood there and looked at him, "Would you like to have coffee with me sometime?" asked Sebastien.

Ashlynn gave him a smile, "I don't drink coffee."

"Well, what about breakfast? Or dinner?"

"Hand me your phone," she held out her hand. Sebastien obliged and she programmed her number into it, "Call me sometime," she said as she handed it back, "I have to go now," Ashlynn had to go up on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek, "bye Sebastien."

Sebastien could feel his face heat up as he gently touched where her lips had been, "Bye."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is definitely not my best work, but it's better than what I originally had. I haven't read this over very well, so sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes.