Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Ericka's story

"Aunty Riza?" The small girl asked as the blonde woman led her to the
sleek black car waiting at the side of the pavement.

"Yes Ericka?" Riza turned, her chocolate brown eyes warming. She handed the small red suitcase to a man with them who in turn lifted it easily into the boot of the car.

"What's happened to mummy and daddy?" Ericka asked, her bright blue eyes shining in the midday sun. Riza sighed.

"Your parents were very brave. Your mother, my sister, was a highly talented alchemist as was your father. You know that they went to fight in the war?" Riza crouched on the balls of her feet, perching at the eye level of her young niece. Ericka nodded, tears gathering on her long eyelashes.

"There was an ambush on their station, I'm afraid that your mother has passed away, but your father survived, he's in hospital right now." Riza said softly, taking the little girls hands in her own. Ericka's lower lip trembled as a few small tears tripped over her eyelashes and ran down her cheeks. Riza pulled Ericka into a tight hug and picked the girl up, carrying her to the car.

* * * * *
"Concentrate Ericka." His voice came from the shadows as Ericka walked along the large training course, her ears straining for the smallest sound of an enemy or civilian. Yes, they did sound different. A civilian would sound scared and yes, scared was a sound. But an enemy would sound wary with a purpose, your death. Ericka's father had taught her all her life to recognise the sounds of everything and everyone. Thomas Brass had schooled his daughter in everything he knew, from alchemy and gunman ship to ironing and cooking. He had trained his Ericka's brain to be an analytical mass of electric charges, sending messages instantly to her limbs for amazingly quick reactions, her ability to memorise patterns and words was phenomenal. Ericka's father was very proud of his work. And now that she was sixteen, it was time for him to let her go.

Ericka finished the course within the hour, her personal best. She slipped off the scarf that had been covering her eyes and walked over to her father.

"Well done girl. Well done," He praised her as she held his hand. His clouded eyes sought out her own crystal clear blue eyes. "Now, you know today is a special day, right Ericka?" He asked. Ericka nodded.

"Good. Soon, you will be leaving this house, I have prepared you as much I can, I have no doubt that you will pass. You have my precision, your grandmother's eyes, your grandfather's ability and your mother's spirit. You will do perfect!" Ericka bent forward so her father could brush a kiss on her forehead. There was a knock at the door. Ericka turned, her hand still in her father's.

"Are you ready, Ericka?" Riza Hawkeye asked, standing tall in her royal blue state alchemist uniform. Ericka nodded and her father released her hand.

"Of course she is Riza! Now, let's go!" He cried waving his polished walking stick around in the air. Ericka smiled and helped her father out of the comfy chair. They then both walked over to Riza. The woman smiled at her niece and hoped that Thomas was right. She walked them out to the sleek black car that stood waiting in the street. Ericka was suddenly plunged to that day, ten years ago, when she had learned that her mother had died, ten years ago when her father had lost his sight, ten years ago when she had decided that she would become a state alchemist in memory of her mother.
They entered the car and were driven to Central HQ. Ericka listened to her father as he gave her last minute tips on the exam.

"...Now don't rush anything. Take your time and don't get cocky. You are the best alchemist there but we can't let them know that you know that. Don't let anyone else intimidate you. Never lower your eyes, be confident, but not cocky-"

"Dad, I got it. Now stop it, you're making me nervous!" Ericka laughed, her father had already given her these pointers over and over the past weeks. She could repeat them flawlessly. Riza listened to them from the front seat and smiled to herself. The car stopped and the three disembarked the car. Riza took them up to the steps where Thomas stopped.

"Well Ericka, this is where I stop. Knock 'em dead love." He said, squeezing her hand tightly. Ericka nodded and squeezed her father's hand in return. She turned to Riza who nodded and smiled. They walked up the white stone steps and were at the door when Ericka glanced back. Her father was looking up at her, watching with non-seeing eyes as she entered the large building. Tears swam in her eyes as she saw her father's bent back, wizened hands holding his walking stick so hard that his knuckles were turning white, the laughter lines that had now turned into wrinkles. When had her father aged so much? Why hadnt she noticed it before? Ericka turned from Riza and ran down the steps. She threw her arms around her father and he hugged her back.

When they parted she saw tears glistening on his cheeks. She brushed them away quickly and he planted a kiss on her cheek. He then gave her a slight push up the stairs and Ericka ran up them, re-joining Riza who had been joined by two other people. Well...one boy, not much taller than Ericka and a very tall suit of armour. Ericka caught her long ponytail and ran her fingers through her brown hair.

"Ericka, you're back. Are you ready?" Riza acknowledged her. The boy and suit of armour turned as one. Ericka nodded. "Good, oh, this is the Full Metal alchemist and Alphonse Elric." She introduced the two people.

"Edward Elric." The blonde boy expanded, extending his hand. Ericka took it and smiled.

"Ericka Brass...I've heard that fixing a human soul onto something is pretty hard. Well done." Ericka then shook hands with Alphonse, who seemed surprised by her knowledge.

"How did you know?" Alphonse asked, his voice wary.

"You sound too young to be that height." Ericka replied. Alphonse smiled.

"Just call me Al, everyone does." The voice sounded as if Al was smiling so Ericka smiled back.

"So what are you doing here today of all days? Ericka Brass?" Ed asked, slightly relieved that she had accepted Al so easily.

"I'm taking the exam." Ericka replied. Ed smiled.

"Aren't you a little young to be thinking of such a job?"

"Aren't you being a bit hypocritical when you say that Full Metal?" Ericka countered, noting that Ed must be only slightly older than her. Ed grinned broadly.

"I suppose. Well I'll see you there then, Mustang's got me in as one of the judges for the exam," Ed sighed. "I will never know what goes on in that brain of his." Ed shook his head in disbelief.

"Oh just promotion, and female officers in tiny miniskirts." Ericka supplied, making Ed laugh. Riza sighed.

"Come on, Ed, you need to report to Mustang, Al I'm afraid you won't be able to go into the exam rooms but you could always see if you can make yourself useful around HQ." Riza snapped into business. They walked through the doors together. Al turned left and Ed turned right, for the first time that day it was just Ericka and Riza. Riza showed Ericka into a room full of hopeful people. Ericka noticed with slight dismay that she was the only girl in the room apart from Riza. A few of the men gave her a glance that indicated they didn't think she would cut it.
Soon the written part of the exam started. Ericka settled down easily and answered the questions in quick succession. After an hour of writing down and checking answers they were taken for the interview. Ericka caught Ed's eyes as they walked out of the room and he flashed her smile. Mustang caught their acknowledgement and stepped to the side of Ed blocking Ericka from Ed's sight.

"What?" Ed growled. Mustang shot him a glare.

"If anyone higher up sees what you're doing with Ericka she could be taken off this thing altogether and I'm not letting you ruin her chances. She is possibly the only one out of that group that actually deserve to be here." Ed blinked.

"How do you know Ericka?" Ed demanded.

"Her parents were state alchemists, her father is a very good friend of mine." Mustang replied coolly. They continued walking, Ed watched as Ericka left the building and met up with Riza. They talked easily with each other, laughing. Al came up behind Ed.

"Brother? What is it?" He asked, watching Ed watching Riza and Ericka. Ed shrugged.

"Have you ever seen Lt Hawkeye act like that around...anyone?" Ed asked. Al looked at the two females as they stood in the sun.

"No, but maybe Lt Hawkeye knows Ericka's parents." Al suggested, Ed nodded.

"Maybe, Mustang did say that Ericka's parents were...state alchemists...why were? I wonder what happened to them." Ed added, suddenly realising what Mustang had really said.

"Well, maybe you could ask her." Al surprised his brother.

"What? No! It's...it would be...I can't, if I'm caught talking to her then she might be taken off the list of candidates to take the exam! I couldn't do that to her." Ed cried, blushing slightly. Al noticed his brothers odd behaviour and cheeks.

"Brother? Are you hot?" Al asked, enjoying Ed's reaction.

"What? No."

"You're face is all red, are you sure you're not sick or anything?" Al teased.

"It is not! Shut up Al!" Ericka raised her eyes to them at Eds shout and gave them both a small wave. Al waved back, and noticed Ed's blush deepen.

"Brother, be nice." Al nudged his brother. Ed raised a hand and waved before turning quickly and entering the building again. Al chuckled lightly to himself and walked over to Ericka and Riza.

"Hi Ericka. Lt Hawkeye." He said, Riza smiled up at him.

"I have to go now, good luck in the interview Ericka." Riza said, nodding to Al and leaving them. Ericka turned to Al.

"Ed left quickly. Some state alchemist thing he had to do?" She asked, sitting down on the grass. Al sat next to her.

"Something like that. Ericka...would you mind if I asked you a question?" Al asked, looking down at his hands. Ericka's brow furrowed.

"Well you just did and go ahead." She smiled, running her hand over the blades of grass.

"How do you know Lt Hawkeye? And Lt Colonel Mustang?" Al asked, picking at the grass.

"That's quite an odd couple of questions. But I've known Mustang all my life, he's a friend of my dad's. And Riza's my aunt." Ericka replied.

"I see. So I take it you know quite a lot of the state alchemists here?" Ericka shook her head.

"Not any of the new ones. Just the oldies." Ericka joked, a shadow fell over the two laughing teenagers, they turned to see Ed looking down at them.
"It's time for your interview Ericka." Ed held out a hand. Ericka took it and stood. She turned back to Al.

"Good luck Ericka." Al said, picking up a small flower and twirling it in his fingers.

"Thanks. Hey, you doing anything tonight?" Al shook his head. "Want to come over for dinner? You can bring someone else along if you like." Ericka smiled as Al nodded.

"Thanks Ericka, that would be great."

"Meet you here after the interview? I'll need to get some food first." she said as she followed Ed. Al nodded and waved. Ericka waved back and it was only then that she realised she was still holding hands with Ed. She wondered if she should say anything when Ed dropped her hand suddenly and stopped.

"You go down that hall there, there's only one door. Good luck." Ed said before entering a door on the right. The door closed with a heavy click and Ericka was alone in the white hallway. She rubbed her hands on her blue jeans and tugged the sleeves of her red cloak down to her wrists. Ericka then started walking, soon coming to a double doorway with an intricate design on the front. She took a deep breath and pushed the doors open and entered the dark room. She instantly closed her eyes, opening them only when the spotlight had turned on the gold chair in the centre of the room. She ran her eyes over all of the state alchemists that sat, watching her every move.
"If you could sit on the chair." the middle man said, the Fuhrer. Ericka noticed Ed standing to the side of the long table, Mustang was sitting on the outside of the table, she recognised the other men by face, not by name. Walking purposefully to the chair Ericka sat, her hands folded on her lap.

"Now, Ericka Brass. Why do you want to become a state alchemist?" The Fuhrer asked. Ericka looked him in the eye.

"I made a promise to myself ten years ago that I would become a state alchemist, and follow in my parent's footsteps." Ericka answered clearly.

"But one of your parents is now dead. Is that what you want? Death?" The question shocked her, it was so personal. Ericka's gaze hardened.

"No. I'm going to be a state alchemist for the memory of my mother who died while in service to the state. And with all due respect, sir, the only reason why she died was because her troop had been misinformed by their superiors." There were a few gasps, Ericka saw Roy's eyes harden and knew he was remembering that day. He had been in the attack, and had survived with no major injuries.

"So you have no thoughts of revenge, seeing as it was the fault of your mother's superiors?" the Fuhrer asked.

"No, I don't. Revenge is a disgusting motive. It clouds judgement and drives you to a place that you often can't escape." Ericka answered coldly. The Fuhrer gave a small non committal grunt and nodded.

"Very well. You may go." Ericka stood and bowed her head before leaving. She met up with Al and Riza outside. They stayed there chatting until Ed came out.

"Brother. I have an invitation for dinner tonight, will you come too?" Al asked. Ed beamed.

"Sure, why not?" He caught Ericka"s eye and winked. Riza watched as the three of them walked out of Central HQ. Riza turned as she heard footsteps behind her.

"Looks like rain tonight," Mustang said, looking up at the ominous clouds gathering out to the west. "Take the night off First Lt, there's not much to do here anyway." Mustang glanced at Riza who nodded and they walked back into the building together.
An hour later Ericka opened the front door of her large house.

"Dad! We've got guests for dinner!" She yelled, dropping the keys onto the sideboard in the hall and directing Ed and Al through to the kitchen. She started unpacking the bags of food, waiting for her father's reply. After a few minutes had passed Ericka stopped. "Dad?" She walked out to the hall and stopped at the bottom of the stairs.

"Maybe he's out?" Ed suggested. Ericka shook her head.

"He's blind. He never goes out unless he has someone with him. Lost the confidence of being outside alone," Ericka murmured before she ran lightly up the stairs. "Dad? Dad? Dad!" She cried, now sprinting up the stairs. Ed looked at Al who shrugged.

"Maybe we shouldn't, brother." Al said. Ed nodded and took his hand off the banister. A blood curdling scream erupted from somewhere upstairs, making up Ed's mind. He ran up the grand stairs two at a time, and stopped slightly at the top. Al caught up with him as they strained to hear anything that would help them. Ed saw an open door at the end of the landing and ran towards it.

Ed stopped short, in the centre of the room, beside a shining wooden desk Ericka knelt, bent over her father. Sobs racked her body, something tugged at Ed's heart as he saw her shoulders shaking uncontrollably. He walked in slowly and knelt next to Ericka. He put a hand on Ericka's shoulder, she turned to him and he brushed a tear away with his thumb. Ed then opened his arms and Ericka fell into them. Al stopped at the doorway. Ed glanced at him, not knowing what to do. The door bell rang, Ericka ignored it. Al turned and went to answer it. Soon Ed heard several pairs of feet run up the stairs he looked over his shoulder to see Mustang, Havoc, Fuery and Falman standing in the doorway. Mustang entered the room and pressed two fingers to Thomas Brass' neck. He sighed.

"Second Lt Havoc, contact First Lt Hawkeye. Get her here now." Mustang ordered. Havoc nodded and left. Al stepped through the door as Mustang approached Ericka and Ed.

"Don't say it Mustang. Just don't." Ed muttered as he stroked Ericka's hair in an attempt to soothe her. Mustang closed his mouth and turned to his two other officers.

"Alright you two, remove the...body-" Ed felt Ericka's hands tighten on his shirt. "-and Ed, get her out of here." Mustang ordered. Falman and Fuery stepped into the room and over to the body. Falman's eyes were filled with tears at the sight of an old friend lying dead on the floor. They picked him up as a tear rolled down Falman's cheek.

"Stop!" Ericka cried out, pushing away from Ed she stood and started walking out of the room.

"Ericka-!" Roy called after her as she ran out of the room. She returned quickly with something in her hand. She stepped over to her father's body where Fuery and Falman had lain it on the floor again. Her hand went to his neck and she pulled a long chain out from under his shirt. A small oval locket dangled from the end of the chain and she prised it open. Then putting whatever was in her hand in the gold locket she snapped it shut. Next she took her father's state alchemist pocket watch out of his trouser pocket, with a quick jarring motion she broke the gold chain and let it drop. The alchemists around her watched the gold chain drop as if they were hypnotised by it. It landed on the wooden floor with a dull tinkle. They heard another snapping of something shutting and looked back to Ericka just in time to see her tucking his alchemist watch into her fathers chest pocket. She then stood and backed away from him, stepping slowly into Ed who put his arm around her shoulders.
Ericka watched as Falman and Fuery took her father downstairs, following them to the car that waited outside. Riza leapt out of another car, let out a cry of shock when she saw her sister's husband corpse and then looked to Ericka. Their eyes caught and Ericka broke away from Ed, running to meet Riza halfway. The two women clutched at each other and sank to the floor. They sat, a crumpled heap on the ground as the rain poured down. Black Hayate sat in the rain next to them, licking their hands to try and comfort them. Riza let Ericka cry into her, tears prickling at her own eyes, remembering the day she had learnt that her sister had died, the night after she had told Ericka. Suddenly the rain stopped falling around them and Riza looked up into the sad eyes of Roy Mustang, a black umbrella in his hand, covering them while he stood in the rain. Ed and Al stood next to him, looking down at the sobbing girl. Riza ducked her head as she felt tears roll down her cheeks and stood, pulling Ericka up with her.

"Ericka, do you want to stay with me tonight?" She asked her niece gently. Ericka shook her head.

"I...want to stay...just...not..." Ericka's whisper trailed off as Riza nodded. Black Hayate stood, wagging his tail slowly.

"Don't worry, you won't be alone tonight." Riza murmured, hugging Ericka tightly.

That night the rain didn't stop. Ericka lay in bed listening to it hammer against the window, Riza, Ed and Al had offered to stay with her, Mustang had stayed too because no one was sure how her father had died yet. Ericka threw back the covers and sat up. She pushed her face into her hands and sat like that for a few minutes. Her elbows resting on her knees. Even with four people in the house with her, Ericka felt totally and utterly alone. She knew that the other four weren't getting any sleep, they were taking it in turns to check on her. So far Al and Riza had looked in, she had pretended to be asleep both times and they had left quickly and quietly. Ericka heard the door open softly, she lay down quickly, but not quick enough.
"Ericka? Why aren't you asleep?" Ed entered the room, speaking softly. Ericka didn't reply. Ed walked over to her and stood next to her bed. "You should try and sleep, you've got a big day tomorrow, but of course, if you don't want to do it, you don't have to. Everyone will understand." Still Ericka didn't reply. Ed pulled the blanket over her and started to walk away.

"Ed...?" Ericka called softly, Ed stopped and turned around.

"Could you...just, stay here? Please? I just don't want-"

"Sure." Ed replied, he closed the door and pulled a soft chair up to the bed, sitting in it he looked at Ericka's face in the half-light of the night. He placed his hand over Ericka's hand and smiled. "Sleeping will help." He told her quietly. Ericka looked at him. Something wrenched Ed's heart when he saw her eyes, they seemed to show him her soul, alone and broken. Whether it was a silent plea from Ericka or just an intuitive action that his brain made him do, Ed pushed back the corner of the blanket and lay down next to Ericka, wrapping her in his arms. Ericka buried herself into his chest, one hand running up and down his automail arm. Roy came up half an hour later, wondering why Ed hadn't returned. He opened the door, and the light from the landing spilled onto Ericka's sleeping form in Ed's arms. Ed glanced at Roy who smiled and stepped back, closing the door after him. Ed sighed and closed his eyes. Questions would be answered in the morning.

Morning came and Mustang entered the room, if Ericka still wanted to do the exam then they would have to leave soon. He saw the sunlight spill onto Ed's blonde hair and he wondered what to do when he saw Ericka curled up against him. Ed's eyes flickered open, spotting Mustang who jerked his head to the clock on the mantelpiece opposite the bed. Ed glanced at it and started. Mustang left the room, shutting the door behind him.

"Ericka...Ericka, wake up." Ed shook Ericka's shoulder gently until her eyelashes fluttered and then he saw her crystal blue eyes staring up at him, confused. "Do you want to do the practical exam, to be a state alchemist?" Ed asked quietly. Ericka bit her lip and after a few moments of silence she nodded.

"Well then we gotta go now." Ed told her, pushing the blanket off them and standing up. Ericka stood next to him.

"I'll be down in a few minutes." She said. Ed nodded, his eyes flicking over her body of their own accord. He reached out and brushed a few stray strands of hair behind her ear, revelling in the silkiness of her brown hair. He let the hair fall through his fingers before turning quickly and practically running out of the room. Ericka frowned slightly confused and then shrugged.

Outside Ericka's room Ed put his hand to his cheek, why did he blush so easily around her? Why had he felt so content when Ericka had been sleeping in his arms? Only when he couldn't feel his cheeks burning did Ed move and walk calmly down the stairs and into the kitchen where Al, Riza and Mustang were waiting.
"Ericka's going to carry on with the exam." Ed stated. Riza clutched the mug in front of her.

"Sir, I don't think she'd be able to cope with it, it's not that she's incompetent, but what happened last night...if she failed the exam today...I don't know what would happen to her." Riza sighed, glancing at Roy.

"What do you want me to do First Lt? Stop her from taking the test? She passed with excellent marks on the written, the Fuhrer is really impressed with her," Mustang sighed. "I'm sure she knows her own strengths." Mustang laid a hand on Riza's shoulder. They heard the front door slam. Riza let her head fall.

"What have I done?" She whispered. Mustang took the mug out of her hands and pulled her up out of the chair.

"Nothing wrong. Come on, we can at least give her a lift to headquarters." Roy said, Riza nodded, her mouth set determinedly and her eyes warming slightly. Ed and Al followed Roy and Riza to the car, Riza drove and five minutes later they caught up with Ericka who was walking to the exam. Ed opened the door without waiting for Riza to stop the car.

"Ericka! Come on, get in the car, it'll be quicker and we don't have much time." He said as he came up next to her and took her hand in his.

"Ed, I just...what if Aunt Riza's right? What happens if I freeze up or something? I'd have failed my parents." Ericka hung her head.

"You stormed out too early. Mustang isn't going to stop you. And you're already in the Fuhrer's good books, it'll only impress him more that you went there today with what happened yesterday. So come on, we don't have much time." Ericka then realised that the car was much closer than it had been, she glanced down at her hand in Ed's and smiled. He had been leading her towards the car all the time he had been speaking. Ericka sighed and shook her head and stepped into the car. Ed climbed in after her and still didn't let go of her hand. They drove to headquarters and disembarked the car. Al and Riza went one way while Ericka, Roy and Ed went another towards the exam. Roy cleared his throat and Ed frowned, before catching Roy's glance at their hands which were still entwined. Ed felt the colour rise to his cheeks as he released Ericka's hand who glanced down at the sudden coldness in her palm. She caught Ed's eye and flushed, looking away. Roy laughed inside at the two of them.
They came to the practical exam area where the exam was just about to start. Some of the state alchemists that knew who Ericka was looked surprised to see her there but she ignored them and watched the hopeful contenders show their talents to the Fuhrer. She watched as one man practically collapsed from exhaustion after transmuting the earth to a grand tower. Another stepped forward, did his transmutation and stepped back, proud of his work. There were a few murmurs of appraisal from the rest of the crowd and the state alchemists. Ericka smiled to herself. The man's transmutation suddenly collapsed in on itself, a torrent of thick, gloopy mud made it's way towards them. Another man quickly fell to the ground and drew a transmutation circle, pressing his palms to the circle he raised the ground that they were all standing on, the state alchemists and other contenders watched was the mud sloshed around the newly made island. Ericka nodded in approval. She caught the eye of the man who had done the transmutation and he sneered at her, challenging her to top his alchemy.

Ericka stepped forward, looking around her for inspiration. Something clicked in her brain, the first man, that had almost collapsed, no one had helped him, so where was he? She glanced around furtively in time to see a hand disappear underneath the mud. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Roy putting his gloves on. But that wouldn't work. Suddenly an idea sprang to mind. Ericka ran to the edge and quickly dew a transmutation circle. A section of the island came away and she stepped onto it, waving her arms for balance as it dipped under her weight. Ericka quickly drew another transmutation and pushed the stone under the mud. There was a blinding flash of electric blue light. The crowd behind her threw hands over their eyes and when they dared to look they saw a large, glittering state alchemist watch floating in the sky.

All the colours of the rainbow radiated from it and the ticking of the watch sounded like church bells. Ed looked around for Ericka, panicking slightly when he couldn't see her. Something red swirled in the air and Ed recognised it, he stared at the red thing as it drifted to the floor. Ed stared in horror at Ericka's cloak, lying useless on the floor. It felt as if his heart had been ripped out of his chest seeing the cloak dumped there and he took a few staggering steps towards it. Standing next to it, his legs gave way. Ed knelt heavily, grasping the coat in his hands, tears welling up in his eyes. Screwing his eyes shut and with a guttural roar of fury and pain Ed slammed his clenched fist into the ground. There was a loud, ominous crack and a jagged line split the concrete island in two.
"Ed, Ed. Ed stop it! Stop Ed, ED!" The voice came from the distant shadows of Ed's bubbling red fury and pain and...his sudden headache...Ed turned to give a death glare to the person that had hit him. His gold eyes softened from shock, the tears fell and Ed pulled the person tightly to him, crushing them in a bear hug.

"Shh, shh Ed. It's okay, it's alright." Ericka said, wrapping her arms around Ed and rubbing his back. Ed pulled back slightly looking into Ericka's eyes before he brought his lips lightly onto hers. Ericka's eyes widened in shock and her knees gave way. Ed pulled her closer to him and pulled back slightly. Mustang came up to them, having checked the pulse of the unconscious man Ericka had saved with her alchemy he turned to them.

"Ericka, well done. You passed." He smiled. Ericka stared at him, her eyes as wide as dinner plates.
"I...passed...?" she echoed, stunned. Roy nodded as she turned back to Ed who beamed at her. Ericka surprised them all by suddenly jumping up, wrapping her legs around Ed's waist and kissing him deeply. Ed returned the kiss, pressing her tight and tighter to him until they were one.