My Undefined Romeo

In the Cafeteria

I entered the cafeteria with a high head and a calm composure. The rumors that were probably going around right now were not true, so why should it bother me? Because it risks my friendship with Nate? What if he came up to me later and said it would be best if we weren’t friends? I’d probably kill Rob. Even though I might not act like it, I wanted to be friends with Nate. I liked him. And in more ways than just one.

I ignored the whispers and snickering as I got my tray of food and sat down at an empty table. I could feel everyone’seyes on me. And right as I took a bit of my turkey sandwich, a body plopped down in the seat next to me and the cafeteria became louder.

“Hey, Emma…”

I glanced to my left and Ashley Carrington smiling weakly at me. Her long red hair, piercing green eyes, and white skin made up her beautiful complexion. She deserved someone like Nate. I could see them together.

“I just wanted to say that I don’t believe the rumors,” she said. “I know you’re not like that.”

I smiled slightly at her. At least one person was on my side, not counting Nate. “Thanks, Ashley. That really means a lot to me.”

She smiled openly now and settled into her seat. “So what is up with you two though, if you don’t mind me asking. I’ve seen you guys around town together and you look a little more than just friends…”

I blushed slightly and took a drink of my chocolate milk to hide it.

“Oh my gosh!” Ashley said excitedly. “You two are dating aren’t you?!”

We could be. “No, Ashley,” I said shaking my head embarrassed. “We’re just friends. That’s all.”

“That’s all? But that’s so boring! You can’t just be friends with Nate Carter. That’s, like, impossible! I’d die if I was just friends with him.”

An involuntary sigh escaped my lips.

Ashley laughed at me. “I know that sound. You like him, don’t you? Of course you do. How could anyone not? He’s sweet, nice, funny, cool, has the most amazing bod, captain of the rugby team, most popular guy in school, and the hottest thing ever to walk this earth!”

I moaned but laughed at the same time. “Ashley… It’s so complicated! We’re not right for each other… We just don’t go together at all.”

“Emma, I’m totally honest when I say this, and don’t get mad at me, but you’re an idiot. Nate freaking Carter has a thing for you and you have a thing for him, but you’re sitting here saying it’s complicated. How the hell is it complicated?!”

I covered my face with my hands. “Listen, Ashley. Can you not hear them?”

She was silent for a moment then huffed. “Forget them. They’re just jealous. Any, and I mean anygirl would kill to be in your place. I know I would.”

I rested my head on my hand and poked at the green beans on my tray. “Gee, thanks. I feel tons better knowing I could be murdered any second.”

“Don’t mention it. Oh! I don’t mean this to sound mean or anything, but why is Nate, uh, interested in you? I mean, we’ve all been in the same grade since like kindergarten right?”

I thought about it and shrugged. “He said something about liking me since the first grade, but it sounded like bull to me. It just doesn’t make sense, you know? He’s liked me since first grade, but has never said one word to me. He sat there and watched as I was picked on by his friends and didn’t do anything. I just think if he really liked me, he would have at least said something.”

“Well, maybe that was just his way of showing he liked you. You know how some kids teased the girls they liked? Maybe he was just too scared to say anything. He was a pretty insecure little boy back then.”

I smiled at the memories. “Yeah. I guess…” I piled my napkin and plastic ware onto the tray and stood up. “I’ll see you later, Ashley.” I walked over to the trash can and quickly emptied the tray. The cafeteria suddenly became quiet and I turned around only to bump into the queen bitch, oops, I meant “bee”, herself.

“So, Emma, just so you know…” she said snottily. “Nate’s just using you. He’s trying to make me jealous.”

I rolled my eyes and set the tray on the counter. “Whatever, Vicky.”

Her eyes narrowed. “Listen, whore. You’re not good enough for Nate and you know it. If he was thinking straight, he would never even glance at an ugly freak like you.”

My throat became thick. “Get out of my way.” She was blocking the way to the door.

She smirked down at me. “You didn’t actually think that you two were going to work out, did you? Nate’s like a golden hawk, and you’re a fat pig. Face it, Emma, he’s just using you for the sex.”

I tried to push my way around her, but she kept moving in my way.

“I know what it’s like. I know how good he is. I bet he’s going to break your little heart when he tells you that it’s over, huh? I bet you’re going to miss screaming his name as he fucks you senseless, huh? But you know what? You can keep in mind that when you’re not fucking him anymore, I will be.”

I was embarrassed and angry at the same time. Everyone in the cafeteria was watching us with their mouth open and eyes opened wide. Even the teachers were staring at us.

“Gonna cry?” Vicky prodded with a proud smile on her face. “Go ahead and cry.”

“Vicky,” a firm but flawless voice said. “Quit.” Vicky and I turned our heads to see Nate.

“What are you talking about?” Vicky asked innocently. “I’m telling her what will happen in the future so she won’t be devastated.”

“I will neverbe with you, Vicky. You’re a bitch and a slut, and I wouldn’t be caught dead with you.”

Her cocky smile disappeared for a second. “Oh, Nate. We all know that you don’t mean it. Well, anyways, you know where to find me when you’re in need of some more ‘experienced’ fun.” And with that, she bounced away and to her table.

I could feel the tears stinging my eyes as I looked at Nate. He looked hurt, sad, like his heart was being ripped out. I shook my head at him and headed for the door, but he stopped me by grabbing my wrist. I felt sick.

“Hey!” he yelled at everyone. “Listen up! Emma and I are not sleeping together! She is a great girl and deserves more respect than you give her.” More quietly he added, “She’s smart, funny, beautiful… And I like her.” He looked into my eyes and grinned. “I like her a lot.”

I felt my cheeks grow red at that comment. I like you too, I wanted to say. But I didn’t say it. What if I said it and Nate suddenly decided to change his mind? What if he just wanted me to like him and that was it? What if I was just some stupid game to him?

But somewhere inside of me, I knew that wasn’t it. I knew he liked me for me. I knew he meant it when he said he liked me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy birthday to me! I actually kind of liked this chapter :)

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes!!! I really appreciate it!!!