Super Avenged

Revolution Needs A Brain

I didn’t know much about robots, but I could tell that this one was extremely complex. I leaned forwards towards the viewing glass, peering down at the workroom below from the overview room. Two scientists stood at the head of a robot that would probably be about as tall as Jimmy. Its lower half was already wrapped in what Dad said was titanium. Its torso, however, hadn’t been covered with a chest plate yet, revealing all its inner wires. The wires were wound together and connected and welded shut and protruding from circuit boards and all sorts of things. It hurt my brain just trying to keep track of one. Zacky would probably have a field day with it, though.

“What is it going to be used for?” I asked, leaning back to look around at Dad. He stood near the door, his arms crossed over his chest. “And what do you need me for?”

“The robot’s name is Revolution,” Dad began. “It will be revolutionary. It will change the world. It is probably the most complex robot on Earth. Once I reveal it, I will become famous, along with the scientists who created it.”

“You still haven’t told me what you need me for in this master plan.”

“Miya, you play the largest part in the making of this robot,” Dad told me, like it was a real treat. I would prefer a cookie, to be honest. He walked over to me, wrapped his arm around my shoulder, and turned me back to the viewing glass. We both looked down at the robot.

“The only reason they haven’t finished it is because we haven’t had you,” Dad continued. “Now they’ll kick into overdrive to get it finished.”

“Stop beating around the bush.”

“Miya, this robot is an empty shell now,” Dad said, motioning towards the robot. “It has nothing to control it. It has no central system to make it move, to make it think, to make it process. It is like a snail’s shell without a slug in it. But when we put your brain into it, it will come alive with movement and thought.”

“My...what?” I repeated, staring around at Dad—no, he wasn’t a father anymore: he was just Christopher now. I wondered if I had heard right.

“Your brain,” Christopher answered calmly. He looked around at me, and our eyes met. “I am going to have you killed so that your brain is preserved. Then, the scientists will put it into the robot, and the robot will then be alive and moving and thinking. It will be the most human-like robot ever created, because it has a human brain controlling it.”

“What?” I exclaimed, shoving myself back from Christopher. I stumbled back from him, staring disbelievingly at him. “You’re going to have me killed? Your own daughter? Why can’t you use one of the lab rats?” I pointed angrily down at the scientists working silently on the robot that needed my brain to work right.

“I might need them for maintenance of the robot,” Christopher answered calmly, like he hadn’t just told his one and only daughter that he planned on having her killed for his own selfish desire. “It’s only a prototype. Who knows what will go wrong with it?”

“You’re unbelievable,” I whispered, still backing away from him. “What use will this robot ever be? How will it change the world, do you think?”

“People could preserve their loved ones in robotic form,” Christopher answered. “Countries could raise whole armies of robots controlled by human brains. And what’s even better is that only certain parts of the brain will control the robot. It won’t have emotions. It won’t feel or hurt or love. It will not be human, but it will be close enough, yet far enough away to make it perfect. I think it’s a brilliant idea.”

A brilliant idea?” I shrieked. “Really, Christopher, really? A brilliant idea? What do you think Mom or Jackson or Ross will think of this? Do you think they’ll appreciate that you killed me to make this robot work?”

“They’ll mourn,” Christopher answered simply with a shrug. “But it will go away. I personally think you’re extremely disposable. Maybe we could adopt a little girl in need to replace you. Your mother always thought adoption sounded like a good thing to do.”

“You can’t replace your daughter, Christopher!” I cried, tears threatening to burst from me. “How can you even consider that option?”

“To fill the void in your mother’s heart,” Christopher answered indifferently. Maybe he didn’t love her as much as I had once believed. “She always loved you, so much more than I did. She’ll be the saddest. But I think she’ll be able to easily replace you.”

“No! She won’t! She wouldn’t!” I screamed. “She loves me! She’ll be devastated when she learns that you killed me! She’s more likely to replace you than she’ll replace me! You don’t understand love at all!”

“Perhaps not,” Christopher answered in a bored way, obviously losing interest in my tears and pain. He turned his attention back onto Revolution. “But then again, what villain does?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Now, I KNOW none of you were expecting that.

Her brain, honestly? If you even speculated that, then you must be a freaking mind reader....0.0 Some of you are awesome enough to do that. =}

Comments? Only 2 left until I reach 60!