Super Avenged

Unintentionally Walked Home

I had the most enormous headache as I trudged tiredly home mid-afternoon that same day. My plans of going to Central Park had been abolished, replaced, instead, by reporters screaming questions at me, EMTs checking over my body, and Synyster Gates sneaking around between interviews to smack my ass. It obviously entertained him quite a bit, but really just pissed me off. He moved so fast that I could never reach around in time to retaliate. Finally, I just snuck up on him and slapped him across the face as hard as I could. He laughed and shrugged and went back to whatever he’d been doing.

As I started down the sidewalk, Rev suddenly walked up and fell into step beside me. Well, he couldn’t really walk the same speed I could without slowing down, since his legs were generally quite a lot longer than mine. He was probably over six feet tall, and I stood at a mere five feet, four inches. We’ll just say he began to walk beside me.

“I never introduced myself,” he explained in answer to my scowl. He stopped, and I stopped along with him, figuring if I got this done quickly, it wouldn’t cause too much pain. “Jimmy Sullivan, at your service.”

“Miya,” I replied, shaking his hand. “Now, leave me alone.”

“Actually, I wanted to walk you home,” Jimmy said casually as we started to walk again. In response, I groaned and rubbed my forehead.

“I don’t like you guys,” I snapped, hoping to hurt him enough so that he would leave me alone. I had no such luck.

“Why?” Jimmy asked curiously.

“Because you’re all cocky douche bags who fancy themselves heroes,” I answered. “And Synyster Gates really proved that to me today.”

“Syn is a womanizer,” Jimmy repeated. “He just does that to every woman.”

“I don’t care,” I growled. “If he violates every woman that way, I think he belongs in jail instead of in the spotlight.”

“He doesn’t see it as violation,” Jimmy explained simply. “He sees it as flirtation.”

“As if that makes it alright!” I grumbled. “I had enough of that crap in high school. I don’t need it again, now.”

To my surprise, we came level with my apartment building. Unintentionally, I had let Jimmy walk me home. I fumed at the mere thought of it.

“Well, this is it,” I grumbled beneath my breath, motioning towards the stairs leading up to the door.

“Then, I’ll take my leave,” Jimmy said by way of farewell. He turned and continued leisurely on down the sidewalk, his hands buried in his pockets. I watched him go for a few seconds before turning and jogging up the steps. I typed in the code to open the door—the apartment building was one of those where if a person wanted in, you’d have to unlock the door from your apartment—and stepped into the front hall.

A few minutes later, I walked gratefully into my apartment. I fell backwards onto the couch, throwing my forearm tiredly across my eyes. How could Super Avenged handle all those reporters and all those questions all the time? I could barely handle it for a few hours, and they probably did it multiple times a day. Maybe it was just like running. You had to build up your endurance first.

My cell phone vibrated angrily in my purse, which I had thrown haphazardly on the ground beside the couch. I shoved myself up and grabbed my purse. I pulled my cell phone out of it and flipped it open.

“Hey,” I answered, leaning back against the pillows.

“Oh, Miya, are you alright?” Mom’s voice cried.

“Yeah, Mom, I’m fine,” I answered. “I’m just a bit tired. All those reporters were getting on my nerves.”

“Yes, yes, I just saw it on the news,” Mom exclaimed hastily. “Are you sure you’re alright? There’s some footage of the attack, and I’m just so grateful that those nice young men were there to save you.”

“Yeah,” I agreed dully, “grateful.”

“Oh, you still hate them, don’t you?” Mom asked.

“Yep,” I answered curtly. “I still hate them.”

“But they saved you, Miya.”

“I know, Mom,” I answered. “But that doesn’t change who they are. They’re still attention-grubbing celebrities, and I still refuse to respect them.”

“That’s alright, dear,” Mom said soothingly. “I guess not everyone can like them. You sound tired, babe. Get some rest, will you?”

“Yeah,” I answered, appreciating Mom’s subject change. She always knew when to change the subject, and she was amazing at it too. “I was just about to go do that.”

“Okay, honey,” Mom replied. “I’ll see you on Sunday, okay? We’re having tacos for lunch. I know how much you like them.”

“Yeah, I’ll be there,” I told her.

“I’ll see you then, Miya,” Mom said.

“Good-bye, Mommy,” I replied.

“Bye.”

We hung up, and I flipped the phone closed. With a moan, I shoved myself to my feet and shuffled towards my bedroom. I really needed a nap, pronto.