Status: Complete

Cut

Cut ch. 22

Two nights later Maura, Jenna, Hannah, Lilly, and I are all sitting in the game room at Royal Jokes. Hannah and I have just finished a game of War and are watching Lilly and Maura play checkers. Jenna watches tv in her wheelchair with Jan at her side. She is watching a the history channel. None of us like the history channel except for Jenna but it is her night for the remote so we all decide to play games like we always do.

After a while Maura wins checkers and stands up.

Maura: I gotta pee.

Hannah and Lilly stand up with Maura.

Hannah: Me too. Walk me there?

Maura nods and they start to walk away until Lilly stops them.

Lilly: Wait for me! I forgot something in my room!

She follows them out.

I know that truth is that Lilly can't stand to be alone with Jenna anymore. They used to be best friends until Jenna's 'accident'. I know that she still cares deeply about Jenna, though. She's just scared. Scared that Jenna won't get better. I think we all have that same fear about each other. About ourselves.

I glance up at Jenna and see that she has fallen asleep. Jan notices this too.

Jan: I'd better get her to bed. The other girls should be back soon if you need an es court anywhere.

I nod as she wheels Jenna away.

Now I am alone. I sit in silence and watch the history channel for a moment. There is a documentary about Abraham Lincoln on. I ponder him for a second until somebody enters the game room.

It is a girl. She looks to be about ten or eleven years old with pale Blondie hair that reaches just below her shoulder blades. She has a pale blue shirt on with some jeans.

The girl looks me up and down with an eyebrow raised.

Girl: What?

She doesn't say it meanly.

Me: Who are you?

Girl: Elena. Who are you?

Me: Emma.

Elena: Emma?

Me: Yeah.

Elena: How old are you?

She comes over and sits down next to me on the couch.

Me: Fifteen. How old are you?

Elena: Eleven.

There is a long awkward pause and then she speaks again.

Elena: What the heck are you watching?

Me: The history channel. It's a documentary on-

Elena: Abe Lincoln, I know. What I meant was why the heck are you watch'' it?

Me: Because my friend left it on.

Elena: So....

Me: So what?

Elena: So why haven't you changed it? Or do you honestly want to watch this crap?

Jeez. For eleven she sure had a mouth.

Me: Because my friend was watching it.

Elena: You said that already.

Me: I know.

Elena: You didn't answer my question.

Me: I know.
She sighs.
Elena: Well, I'm gonna change it.

I don't know why but it seems like I have started a war with this kid.

Me: Fine. Just don't put on Barney or anything.

Elena glares at me.

Elena: What's that supposed to mean?

Me: Nothin'. I just thought that maybe you were into that kind of stuff.

She rolls her eyes at me.

Elena: And what kind of 'big kid' shows do you watch? Crap like this?

Me: I told you my friend had it on.

I raise my voice a little and can't help but to think how comical we must look fighting over the dumbest things.

Elena: You said that!

Me: I know!

She stares at me straight in the eyes and I try and do the same. Then, after about a minute or so of this a smile plays across her face.

Elena: You're alright, Emma.

I smile, too.

Me: Right back atcha, kid. Right back atcha.

I don't what it was that made me think that Elena was different from all the other bratty eleven-year-olds. But there certainly was something.