Status: Complete

Cut

Cut ch. 30

Amber, Jenna, Jan, and I wait, with half of the Royal Oaks' staff behind us, in front of the ambulance. We watch as they wheel Teddy's stretcher past us. He looks directly at me with much pain in his eyes. I can tell that he is more hurt emotionally by what he has done rather than what we physically did to him. He says nothing with his voice but much with his eyes.

I'm so sorry. they tell me.

I know. I wish that were enough. I say back to him with my own eyes.

I may be wrong but I think I see a small smile playing across his perfect lips. Although his lips are gashed and bloody they are still just as perfect as they always have been.Just as perfect as when I saw him for the very first time. Just as perfect as when we kissed....

In an instant Teddy is gone and we watch in terror as Elena is wheeled past us. Her eye is blue and her cheek is gashed. Even though only about five seconds go by it seems as if time, itself, has frozen. Just like Jenna and just like Teddy, there is always a moment to say good-bye.

Amber: Hang in there, kid.

Me:

I am speechless. Elena is one of the three people that saved my life just minutes ago. She's my best friend. What to say to her?

Instead, I just smile and get a smile in return. There will be more time to talk when we visit her in the hospital. I'm not sure that they will let me out of Royal Jokes to see her but I promise her that I will find a way.

I have been keeping my promises lately and I won't let her down.

Then, they wheel her away.

For the rest of the night the police ask us questions about what happened and although it is painful to talk about we do it just the same.

I tell him about how when Elena told me about him Teddy came in and grabbed me. I tell them about how Amber and Elena saved me and how heroic they were. Jenna tells them about how she heard me screaming and even though Jan was in the bathroom she had to come and see what was wrong. She tells them about how she came and saw Teddy and I on the ground lying there and how she saw Elena and Amber hurt and knew that it was his doing so she kicked him the head. And then Jan came and called 911 and they got here.

After we are questioned they send us to bed although it is nearly morning. As if they think we can sleep. I lay in my bed as Maura sleeps soundly in hers. She doesn't know what has happened yet but soon will. Word travels fast even at Royal Jokes.

What will they do with Teddy? Will they take him to prison? Will he reside here, at Royal Jokes, for the rest of forever? What will they do with Elena? Will she be alright? What will happen to Jenna, to Amber?

What will happen to me?