Status: Complete

Cut

Cut ch. 32

That night Maura gets in late. She says she has been talking to Jenna in the bathroom. Jenna has told her about our night of adventure.

Maura: Emma! Ohmygosh! I heard what happened last night. I heard everywhere. In Group, at lunch, in the bathroom. How are you doing?

How am I doing? I don't know.

Maura runs over and sits on my bed, wide-eyed, waiting for an answer.

Me: Uh....

Maura: I should have told you! I knew I should have told you about him. But....I just....I wanted you to figure it out for yourself. But not like this. I'm so sorry, Emma.

Me: Maura, it's alright. Nobody knew how truly bad he could be. It's my fault. I should have listened to my instincts. I should have known by the way everybody looked at him. I should have know by the way he looked at me....

There is a short pause.

Maura: So they're not making you go home? I can't believe that. After all that happened....

Me: Actually, my mom wanted to take me home. She still does. She's been calling every two hours wondering if I've changed my mind.

Maura puts her hands up with a face of non belief.

Maura: Wait, wait, wait. You want to stay here?

I nod slowly.

Maura: Why?

Me: I still have a problem and I still need the help. That's why I came here; to get better. And I'm not leaving until I am.

Maura smiles big at me. If I look close enough I can see a small tear in her right eye.

Maura: Are you sure you're not already?

* * * * * * * * * * *

The next morning Rita comes in and wakes me gently. Maura, I see, is gone.

Me: Where's Maura? What time is it?

Rita: Maura's already at Group.

Me: What?! Rita, I told you, I don't want to be treated any differently. I want to go to Group just like the rest of the patients here.

She gets a mischievous gleam in her eye.

Rita: I think you'll like what we've got planned for you a little better than going to Group, today.

I look at her, confused.

Rita: Get dressed, then I will meet you at the front desk in five minutes.

Me: What? Wait. Rita, I don't have an escort.

Rita: We'll let it slide this time. Now, hurry.

After she leaves I put on a t-shirt and jeans as fast I possibly can then sprint to the front desk of Royal Jokes. Rita is waiting for me just as she promised.

Rita: Come on. We'll get breakfast on the way.

This time I do not ask where we are going. I simply follow Rita out to an old, beat-up, blue truck and hop in. We drive for a few moments and pick up some breakfast, just as she said, at a fast food restaurant called Benny's Burger Barn. We eat it on the way and I talk between bites of my biscuit.

Me: Rita, where are we going?

Even though I have no idea what is going on I seem to be having fun.

Rita: Just wait, we're almost there. Finish your biscuit.

I do as she asks and before I know it we are pulled up in front of a hospital. My heart is racing.

Rita: Thoughtcha might want to see your friend.

I smile at her and as we get out of the car and walk down hallway, after hallway. I feel numb. Almost as if this can't be real. It is to good to be true. Or to bad? I cannot tell which emotion I am feeling.

Finally, Rita and I arrive in front of a closed door; Room 115, it says. Rita knocks and a nurse answers the door. I can hear the two talking but do not listen to what they are saying. Instead, I walk in over to a small, weak body in a hospital bed. The body's eyes are closed and one is bruised but other than that there are no flaws on the body's face whatsoever.

I stand over the body for a moment until it opens it's eyes and smiles up at me. Then, and only then, it occurs to me that this isn't just a body I am looking at. It is my best friend.

I smile down at her and then hear something that Rita says.

Rita: She's doing better.

I'm not quite sure if she is talking about Elena or me, but in both cases, it seems that it is true.