Status: Complete

Cut

Cut ch.8

Jessie: So, let's start with Lilly. Lilly, tell us your problem.

Lilly is quiet.

Hannah: Isn't it obvious? She's anorexic.

Lilly looks offended.

Lilly: Shut up! Does everybody have to no why we're all here? Is it really any of anybody else's business?

Jessie tries to calm them down.

Jessie: Lilly, Hannah, stop it. We are doing this exercise to make Emma feel more welcome.

They both roll their eyes in unison.
As if I could feel welcome here.
Maura speaks.

Maura: Well, you already know why I'm here.

I look at her and nod. There is silence until Jessie breaks it.

Jessie: Would you like to tell us why you're here, Emma?

I am quiet. I do not want all the girls in this room to know why I am here. I don't have a problem.

I look down and shake my head.

Jessie: Well, girls, we're not going to get very far by just sitting here.

Hannah rolls her eyes and moans.

Hannah: Lilly's anorexic, Jenna's bulimic, Jessie is psycotic, and Maura and I were on drugs.

Jessie looks offended. Hannah looks at her and raises her eyebrows.

Hannah: Happy?

All the girls look offended but are silent except Jessie.

Jessie: Well, Hannah that was very....I'd like to point out that I am not psycotic. I am your counselor and you must treat me with respect.

Hannah again rolls her eyes.

Hannah: Oh yeah. Musta slipped my mind.

I like Hannah's sarcasm. It makes me laugh.

Jessie: Well, now that you know a little something about all of the girls, Emma, can you tell us something about you? Why are you here at Royal Oaks.

I pull down on the sleeve of my sweatshirt and don't say anything. It is my business.

For the first time, Jenna speaks.

Jenna: She's not going to tell us. Who cares, anyway?

Jessie: Girls. We are not going to get anywhere if we don't treat each other with respect.

There is a long pause.

Jessie looks at the watch around her wrist.

Jessie: Well.

I can tell she is annoyed.

Jessie: I guess if we're just going to bicker, Group is done for today. Tomorrow I expect you all to come in with manners and something about your families to tell the rest of the group. I'll call your escorts.

Hannah, Lilly, and Jenna all sit with their arms folded as Jessie pulls out a cell phone. Maura gets up and I follow. Jessie starts to say something but Maura puts her hand out.

Maura: She's my room mate. I'll be her escort for now.

Jessie doesn't say anything as Maura and I walk out.

Maura shuts the door and leans into me and whispers something.

Maura: You're Lucky. You caught us on one of our good Group meetings.

I can't wait until tomorrow, I think to myself.