Abandoned and Confused

Recovery

Joe’s POV

I saw my reflection in the mirror and I couldn’t believe Kevin would do this to me. I couldn’t breath; it was as if I could still feel his hand in a vice around my neck.

Sage must have seen my discomfort and tried to console me.

“Joe?” she asked softly, “Is there anything you need?”

Such a nice person, I don’t deserve her help. I don’t deserve anything. Kevin was right, they don’t need me, no one does. He should have just finished the job.

“To die,” I mumbled softly.

She gasped and I knew she heard me. Oh well, she might as well realize it sooner rather than later so I can just get out of this life.

“Joe…” That didn’t sound anything like I expected, not harsh or even scolding me for feeling this way. It sounded…heartbroken.

I looked into her face and there were tears in her eyes. Oh, no. I made her cry. Why is she sad though? I don’t deserve to live.

“Oh, don’t cry. Whoever did this to me must have wanted me gone right? I just figured that it wasn’t worth it. I’m not.” I mumbled the last part to myself.

Then she did something I didn’t expect.

Something that shocked me, more than anything. She leaned up and pressed her lips against mine, as she began kissing me. Something began taking over me, something I hardly ever had felt. It was warm, and passionate. I couldn’t resist. I placed my arms around her tiny frame, as I drew her closer to me, as I continued kissing her.

After a couple minutes, Sage pulled back as she smiled. I couldn’t resist the smile that was dancing across my lips. For the first time, in a long time, I found myself smiling. “Joe.” Sage whispered looking down at her feet.

“Yeah.” I replied back.

“You know, you’re worth living.” Sage said.

I stood there, looking at Sage in shock; I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was like somehow, she was reading my mind, let alone my thoughts.

“How could you…?”

“Know that that was what was going through your head? The cousin I told you I was really close to? He tried to commit suicide two years ago and has been battling depression for nearly three years. He doesn’t see how amazing he is and I’m guessing neither do you.” She smiled at me.

I was at a loss for words, so she continued.

“Don’t hate yourself Joe. No one else does. People love you.”

That struck a nerve.

“Not the person who hurt me. They didn’t care at all if I died on your street,” I snapped at her.

“Then they don’t have a heart,” she said calmly, “They don’t know how wonderful you are. And that everyone’s life should be cherished because God loves everyone. And I can see you love him too because of your necklace and the ring on your finger.”

I subconsciously reached for my ring, remembering the vow.

“I can see you Joe. You will be okay, even if you don’t remember maybe it’s best if you don’t. Maybe this could be a whole new start for you. If you want it to be?”

“I think, I think that would be great. This could be a good thing after all. Thank you Sage.”

“No, Joe, this one was all you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you everyone. And sorry Mandi for updating in your place, I just really wanted to get this out there, I'm on a roll tonight.