Sequel: This Is Primetime

This Is Not an After School Special

Chapter Sixteen

Josh stretched out on my couch as I put on the movie. We'd agreed to go to the matinee of the play the following afternoon, because the latest that it played tonight was eight o'clock. I couldn't pull off going to bed that early. So Josh had fulfilled his promise and come over to watch The Breakfast Club with me.

I dumped the bag of microwave popcorn into a large plastic bowl and grabbed a couple of colas from the fridge. I hurried back into the living room and leapt onto the small piece of couch that was left unoccupied at Josh's feet. He smiled at me and sat up, giving me more room. I immediately took advantage of the empty space and slid down the couch until I was right beside him. He took a large handful of popcorn as the opening credits began to appear on the screen.

"If you were in this movie, what person do you think you would be?" He asked suddenly.

"Ally Sheedy," I replied without hesitation.

Josh scoffed at me. "I really don't think that you're the kind of girl that dresses down and never speaks. I don't think you could actually go for an entire day without talking."

I shrugged, tossing a piece of popcorn into my mouth. "Yeah, but I'm definitely not the princess like Molly Ringwald. Who would you be?"

He put on his most dangerous face. "The rebel. Yeah, that's who I would be."

I burst out laughing. "As if. You would be the nerd."

Josh looked apalled. "Why?"

"Because you're in choir and band. That just screams 'geek' to me."

"So Matt's a geek too?"

"No, I think Matt would be the jock."

"But you just said-"

"But he's in sports, too. And all the girls love him. Out of the options on this movie, he would be the jock." I explained.

He stuck out his bottom lip in a huge pout. "It's nice to know that your best friend is more appealing than your boyfriend."

I rolled my eyes. "If that was true, I would be with him, not you."

"Fair enough."

As the movie played, we slowly shifted our positions until I was cuddled up in his arms. By the time the movie ended, we weren't even watching it. I had never been the type to make out with someone in a public place, but this wasn't a public place. This was my couch, and my parents were already in bed. There were no witnesses.

By the time I noticed that the movie had ended and got up to shut it off, the credits weren't even rolling anymore.

"You're right, I didn't realise just how great that movie was until now," Josh grinned.

I blushed, turning away from him and focusing on the DVD player so that he wouldn't see me. "Yeah, it's a classic. Too bad the rebel and the girl who doesn't speak don't end up together in the end."

"They don't? Oh, yeah, I remember now. She winds up with the jock, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"So, you should go talk to Matt, then," he teased. "Because the geek winds up alone, and even if I get to be the rebel, I have to go and find myself a princess."

"You have a point. Maybe I should go and find Matt right now. I think he would like to know that even you think that he and I are destiny."

"Okay, you twisted my arm. I take it back. I don't want to end up alone."

I giggled and rejoined him on the couch. "You won't end up alone, I can promise you that. Girls are suckers for musicians."

"Even you?"

"I'm with you now, aren't I?"

"Good point," he conceded, pressing his lips firmly against my hair and tangling me up in his long arms. "I should probably get going soon," he sighed.

"I really wish you wouldn't," I told him. "I always hate the part where I have to go back to real life."

He laughed loudly. "Yeah, that part sucks. But I'll be back here at noon tomorrow, so real life will only bother you for a few hours."

Reluctantly, I got to my feet and let him free. "I guess you're right. A few hours alone is a lot better than what I face most weekends."

"You're so full of shit," Josh laughed at me. "I know for a fact that you usually get out of the house when you hang out with Matt. And I'm pretty sure that he's spent more than his fair share of time in this house, too."

I shrugged. "Think what you want, but I have my own opinions about my life before you. At times, it's not a hell of a lot different than what it is now. But sometimes, the entire world has shifted."

"Shifted? I think it's flipped upside down."

I smiled widely at him. He always found a way to make me feel good about myself. He left soon after, and I went immediately to my bedroom. It seemed like I had hardly closed my eyes when I awoke to rays of light slanting into my room through the gaps in my venetian blinds. I got up and threw on an oversized sweater and jeans before heading out to the kitchen and making myself a piece of toast.

I kept myself occupied that morning with cleaning my room and a bit of the kitchen. I figured that my mom couldn't be mad that I wasn't spending any time at home when I was still keeping up with my chores.

I had a lot of fun at the play. It was hilarious, and the actors all put on spectacular performances. Josh seemed to really enjoy himself, too. It was late in the afternoon when I got home again. Mom was tapping her toe impatiently when I walked into the kitchen.

"Matt called. Three times. He said that you were supposed to hang out with him today."

I frowned. "I was? I thought that was next Sunday."

"He didn't seem to think so. And since when do the two of you plan things a week in advance? That just doesn't seem like something you would do."

"Calm down, Mom. I'll call him back and explain."

Before she could argue, I snatched the phone from the base and disappeared into my bedroom. I dialed the familiar digits and flopped down on my bed to talk.

"Hello?" A young female voice answered.

"Hey, Amanda, it's Becky. Is Matt there?"

"Yeah, just a second. I'll grab him for you."

There was a momentary pause, and soon Matt's voice came through the line. "Hey, Becky. What happened to you today? I thought we were supposed to do that English project."

I remembered that he was right. We were planning to hang out the following Sunday for fun, but today actually had a real purpose.

"Shit," I swore, pinching the bridge of my nose between my thumb and forefinger. "I'm so sorry, Matt. I completely forgot. Do you want me to come over now? I can be there in ten minutes."

"Forget about it, Becky. I finished it and put your name on it," he actually sounded mad at me. I couldn't remember a time when he'd seemed genuinely upset with me.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise. Next time, I'm doing the whole thing by myself, okay? I'm really, really sorry Matt. Please don't be mad at me."

"I'm not mad," he lied. "Just try not to let it happen again."

"It won't, I swear."

"Becky, I really like that you're so happy these days, but I don't want you to forget about everything. I miss you."

His words knocked the air from my lungs. "I thought that you were fine with me spending more time with him. I mean, you're hanging out with all your other friends now. I miss you, too. Things will get better, alright? I'll make more time for you."

"Good," he already seemed happier. "You can start by writing my book report that's due on Wednesday."

I snorted. "A book report?"

"Well, you read enough. You should be able to come up with something good."

I really felt like I owed him, so I gave in. "Consider it done. I'll have it typed up and ready to go when I see you in the morning."

"You're the best, Beck."

"I try."

I didn't add that I wished I had been trying a lot harder.