‹ Prequel: Taion

Devotion

金曜日

Another Friday night and we meet at the station opposite my workplace like we always do. We no longer have to plan these meetings. Both of us know the other will turn up at half past seven, know that one can’t break away from the other no matter how hard he tries. Which, admittedly, isn’t very hard at all. I never once wanted to be away from him and I know that parting from me was the last thing on his mind.

I smile at him from across the road, seeing him wave from underneath his umbrella. I’m soaking wet but we find shelter in his living room, his bedroom, his bed – crashing down on the mattress, clothes strewn on the floor. We calm down before we get fully undressed, the lust and urgency disappearing as quickly as it came, evaporating into silence.

“Why do you look so sad?” I ask, noticing that his eyes are devoid of the light that once filled them, the glow of joy now completely missing from them. My stomach turns unpleasantly. I used to make him happy. I know I did.

He hesitates for a second, his flushed face hovering just inches above my own, his dark eyes avoiding mine. He seems embarrassed, as if he wants to say something that would cause me to mock him and when he does start to speak, his voice falters. “When you leave tomorrow, can you at least say goodbye?”

It’s my turn to hesitate, my eyes widen in surprise at the hurt in his voice. “I’m not going anywhere,” I reassure him, my fingers wandering to his throat, stroking the soft skin gently. He cocks his head to the side; his lips parted slightly, silently inviting me to explain. “I chose you,”

“But… I thought…” He shakes his head, unable to finish his sentence, strands of pink and purple hair falling in front of his face. He peers through his fringe, his eyes half hopeful, half desperate, a trace of disbelief evident in his expression. “How do I know you won’t go back to her?”

“Miyavi,” I purr softly, tilting his head slightly so my lips can skate across the warm skin of his throat, kissing him tenderly. His eyes close automatically, his fingers wandering absent-mindedly to my face, pushing the damp black hair out of the way to find contact with my skin. His touch lingers long after he realises that he’s meant to be upset with me, unable to move his hand away even after he finally opens his eyes and meets my gaze. I smile up at him, holding his half naked body close to mine. “You always knew I loved you. I’m going nowhere.”

The look in my eyes must be enough to reassure him because he smiles widely, laying his head down on my chest, sighing contently. I kiss his hair, rubbing my cheek against his multi-coloured tresses, inhaling his scent, suddenly ready for the longest Friday night of my life.