A Blanket Unwoven

Gone

That morning, when I wake up, I feel different. I can feel a little pain, but I don't know the reason behind it.

I smile, yet I feel sad.

**

At school my friends don't notice anything different. I feel different. But they don't see it. Maybe they can't open their eyes. Truly see.

Maybe they don't want to. Because they know the sight is not a beautiful one. Not all the time.

“Megan,” Sara says. “Come here, I saved you a place.”

“Thanks,” I answer cheerfully; it feels unreal. I don't know why and it's frustrating. Immediately all my friends start chattering and gossiping.

“Did you hear about Violet?” Jenny asks.

“No,” Sara replies, leaning in to hear the gossip.

“She broke up with Jake,” Kate cuts in.

Jenny looks slightly disappointed. It was her piece of gossip.

Violet and Jake's relationship is...rocky, at best. Their breaking up is nothing exciting. It has nothing to do with me. I lean back in my chair and pick at the skin around my nails. I'm not very hungry, for once.

“Hey, Danielle,” a guy's voice says. I look up and see it's just Johnny.

Danielle blushes. She slowly lifts her head and says “Hey,” back to him. She clears her face of her black hair.

Poor girl, black hair and blushing cheeks. That much more discernible.

The entire table says hi to him and then he leaves. Probably back to his table.

It's a widely known fact that Johnny likes Danielle. Everyone also knows that Danielle likes him. She's just too shy to do anything about it.

Thankfully for Danielle there's a lot of gossip, no nobody teases her about it.

**

When I walk home, I'm alone. So I get thinking.

Why do I feel sad?

The question swirls around my head, like the autumn leaves on the ground.

Why?

I go through all my memories, nothing missing.

About a week ago I was at the park, alone, reading. I feel like that's where something went wrong.

But what?

**

Seven days later, the question's been pushed to the back of my mind, the pain's faded.

Now, my smiles feel more real. My happiness isn't a lie anymore. I'm freed of the pain.

The pain of what? I don't know. But I'm happy.

Everyone knows these happy moments don't last long...