Unreachable Love

Chapter XVII

I was being shoved, in my dream. From behind someone was shoving me towards the edge of the cliff. When I’d reached the edge I looked down to see the rushing water of the ocean and jagged rocks sticking out everywhere. I was shoved one last time and fell to my fate. Glancing back to see the person who doomed me this way, I let out a cry. Ciara was grinning at me.

“Ciara!” I sat up panting. I realized I was on the couch in our living room.

A bunch of people rushed over at once. “Bell, Bell!” it seemed like they were all screaming my name. Finally, everyone hushed so someone else could speak.

“Honey, are you alright?” Ma asked.

I looked around at the faces peering down at me. There was Ma, Dad, Ciara, Beth, and finally the one I really wanted to see: Oliver. When my gaze rested on him he smiled unsurely. I smiled back.

“Honey, are you alright?” Ma repeated.

I reacted to her words this time. Was I fine? I tried to feel if there was anything wrong with me but I felt pretty good. I shook my head at her. “I’m fine.” I said to reassure everyone.

I wanted Oliver to hug me. So I reacted on instinct. I held out my arms to him. He came over and sat next to me and held me in his strong arms. Everyone else left, seeing I was in good hands. I could tell Oliver was puzzled by my mood. “Do you feel dizzy, or did you change your mind?”

“I didn’t change my mind, and I don’t feel dizzy.”

“Well, then what are you doing? If you’re going to leave, you can’t do this to me.”

“You’re right…” I pulled away from him, realizing I have to think about the others around me. I had to stop being so selfish.

“That’s why you need to stay—no, I take that back.” He got up and looked down at me. “Going to Bringham is a big opportunity. You shouldn’t pass it by for me.” So we were on the same page.

“Exactly.”

He looked saddened. But his face instantly brightened. “So, we’ll stay friends right?”

“Yeah… I guess.”I said, not sure what he was getting at.

“So you could go to the Fall Carnival with me…?”

I could tell he wanted me to say yes really badly.

“Oh, fine. When is it?” I asked, even though there had been signs up for it for weeks I never bothered to read them. And I was leaving on Monday, so if it wasn’t for a week I could so get out of it.

“This weekend.” I moaned.

“Nothing ever goes my way.” I muttered, and he smirked.

---<3---

“So you’re sure you want to go to Bringham?” Ma asked me.

“Yes, I’m sure.” I sure wasn’t staying where I was invisible.

Ma and I were raking the leaves from the yard. It wasn’t tough work, but the back and forth motion you used to rake the leaves made your arms tired.

“Ya know, I’ll always be okay with it if you decide to change your mind. Maybe you could stay here with Oliver.”

“Not gonna happen, Ma.”

“It could happen, honey.” And again she asked me. “Are you sure you want to go? Is this really what YOU want?”

I actually thought about it this time. “Ma, how am I supposed to know what I want, because I don’t know what I want. All I know is I don’t want to be invisible anymore.”

“Are you sure about that? Are you even sure that you’re invisible?”

I didn’t know. I couldn’t find what I was feeling.

“One more word of advice, it may sound cheesy though.”

I waited and said, “Okay? What is it?”
“Follow your heart.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Follow your heart.
<3